Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/27/2001 3:38:24 AM EDT
For me it was El Centro, Ca.

When I was 19 I was still living with my dad in Oxnard,Ca and I had made up my mind that I wanted to live in the desert so I could go riding every weekend and start my career as the next Baja Champ. [8)]  Yeah, that really panned out. [>Q]

El Centro is in the SoCal desert about twenty miles from the Mexican border, about 40k pop., and an avg. temp of about 220 degrees in the summer which, incidentally, lasts about six months out of the year.

There weren't very many decent women, good paying jobs were non existant, and the closest major city (San Diego) was 120 miles away.

I lived there for about a year and a half then came to my senses and got the heck out.
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 5:09:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Milledgeville, GA for about nine months in the 70s.
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 5:09:58 AM EDT
[#2]
The barracks at the (bowel) Movement Center on Camp Pendleton. This is where they keep all the Jarheads that have orders overseas until they get enough guys together to fill a 747. It was an old 3 story flattop squadbay building that had been condemned a few years earlier. Only about half of the toilets worked, and the showers clogged up almost as soon as you turned the water on, so you got to take a shower up to your ankles in gray funk water.

Lance Corporals and below had to do working parties everyday, but I was a Corporal, so aside from one memorable day when I got to oversee a punishment detail, I skyed out to Mission Beach everyday and worked on my tan and my Foster's Lager tolerance with a Sergeant who went halves on the rental car with me.

Lance Corporals and below did not have off-base liberty priveleges, so the only thing for them to do after their working parties was to walk the mile or so to the E Club and get hammered. Then they'd stumble back to the barracks and puke on the deck or piss in each other's wall lockers, mistaking them for urinals because of the smell, I suppose.

Then they'd spend the next day on a punishment detail...

Oh, and I spent 17 days there, waiting for enough guys to check in to fill a plane to Japan.
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 5:16:29 AM EDT
[#3]
42 Spesbacherstrausse
Germany-2 years off and on.
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 5:23:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Urichsville, Ohio for 2 GOD forsaken years!

The [u]only[/u] saving grace there was "Tusco Rifle and Pistol Club" being just a few minutes away, and some great gunshows around the area...
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 5:23:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Not really too bad, but Channelview, TX for most of my childhood and teenage years.

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 5:29:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Guam. that shithole of a place!  not enough room here for me to tell you all how bad that rock was. for starters, they hated the military for being there (although without the military presence during WW2, theyd all be speaking japanese).  man, dont get me started....
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 5:46:12 AM EDT
[#7]
The two times I have lived in a city.  Once for a year with an insane new wife then 6 months in different city w/same headcase.
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 5:55:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Calvert County, been there for 5 years and still have to legally reside there until 2004 when I graduate from college.  Only in Southern Maryland can you buy a single beer for $.99 at a drive-up window, while sitting in a car thats held together solely by bubble gum, and nobody cares when you dont park the car to drink your beer.  And, the damn firearms laws suck major donkey ass.

Kharn
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 6:14:34 AM EDT
[#9]
WEhen I was 21, I got a job in Juneau, AK.  Juneau has a real housing shortage for geographical reasons, so until I could find a place I was put up in the Bergman Hotel.

It was an unbelievable dump, a residential type hotel where street people and transients live when they have a little money.  So there would be screaming drunken fighting at night, ambulances pulling up to haul off OD cases, and the bathrooms shared by everyone one the floor were sometimes strewn with vomit, blood, and excrement.  An awful place.
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 6:16:23 AM EDT
[#10]
First apartment.If you left the doors open the all swung to the back of the house.Slightly out of level.It was like living in a Batman episode.
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 6:21:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Alamogordo, NM for about 8 months in 1968-69.
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 6:39:54 AM EDT
[#12]
College dorms (ie. hellhole) at UAMS in LR, AR.

Link Posted: 11/27/2001 6:57:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Spent a night once in Tuba City AZ.  Spent a year near Valdosta GA, right on the edge of the Okeefenokee Swamp (no kidding).
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 7:02:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Oceanside California.
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 7:03:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Bay Ridge, Brooklyn, NY.
the neighborhood wasn't too bad (not that i ever saw it) but the apartment had little, courtyard windows that looked right into brick walls. my commute was 45 minutes long, and i never knew the weather until i emerged at the Wall st. subway exit. i didn't see the light of day, no shyt, for six months at a time. i finally moved when i started to consider sleeping with a gun in my mouth and hoping for the best.
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 7:09:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Lived in a 1951 12' trailer inside a crappy "T" hanger in Arizona for near two years. Got sick of chasing the rattlesnakes off the "porch"..
Had a house sized swamp cooler on top of it, and at high blower, you could hear the air whistle through the joints and gaps in that damn thing..
Meplat-
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 7:20:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Fairbanks, Alaska.  8:1 men to women ratio.  Cold and hot.  Mosquitos.  Sucked.  Lived in a crack house with shootings outside all the time.
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 7:55:54 AM EDT
[#18]
A place called Country Campus between Huntsville and Riverside, Texas in 1960. This place was a Greman POW camp in WWII that was bought by Sam Houston State College. The college mainly used it as their Agg farm but also rented out the old barracks as cheap housing. Ours was a green tar paper covered rough pine barracks that resembled a shotgun house. It was a real shit hole but was all that my father could afford then.
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 8:19:53 AM EDT
[#19]
Milledgeville, GA
View Quote

You aren't kidding.  I worked a week in Eatonton, GA, and stayed at a house in Milledgeville.  I couldn't find a phone in the entire town.  I went from there to McRae, GA.  Milledgeville is the center of the world compared to McRae.  Other than at the chicken rendering plant where I was working on machinery (a terrible job, I will never forget that smell!), I didn't see an electric light, much less a telephone, for three months.  Our radio quit working the second week there, and I felt truly alone.  When I went into the army not long after that, the barracks weren't so bad.  No matter what happened, I felt ok, because I was surrounded by friends.  In McRae, I felt alone.z
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 8:31:24 AM EDT
[#20]
Right where I live now! One stop sign, a gas station, a bank, and a Rutter's store. Jobs?? Yeah right. But I love it! I don't work here though.

The view from the back porch:

[img]http://wsphotofews.excite.com/025/ou/Kv/zk/hB57545.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 8:31:49 AM EDT
[#21]
Hollywood,CA. 1 block off Hollywood BLVD. in a
1 room efficiency apt. The streets smelled like
piss, gunfire at nite, & wierdos all over the
place.
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 8:31:57 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 8:35:28 AM EDT
[#23]
Does a hole in the ground count?  Foxhole in the middle off nowhere, near the euphrates river, breathing oil fire smoke 24/7.
AIRBORNE
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 9:14:55 AM EDT
[#24]
Triangle 13, campus apartment at Temple Univ, Phila Pa.

First year of law school.

North Philly-crack central.

Students called it the OK Corral because of all the gunfire.

One room efficiency.

Hideabed for 9 months.

Bug bombs EVERY weekend.

Bums on the front porch.  Whores soliciting on the way to class at 9 am.

Had to move my car twice every day.

Subway smelled like the piss trough at a bullfight in TJ in August.

Thanks for dredging that one up.
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 11:33:16 AM EDT
[#25]
goobertown,ar
in a trailer next to a chicken house,smell was bad during the summer.
free rent though for keeping an eye on the place
boxer_64
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 12:01:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Where I live now, and where I plan to die at.  

Little town called Arapahoe.  Its borders are actually in the shape of a coffin.  No shit.

I was raised here, own the land I was raised on, and love this place.

But it's definitely what you would consider a "hole in the wall town"!
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 12:04:59 PM EDT
[#27]
13 mts. in Viet nam, 3 mts. it was hot and rainy and the rest of the time is was just HOT.
Simper Fi
Bill
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 12:06:49 PM EDT
[#28]
13 mts. in Viet Nam, for 3 mts. it was hot and rainy and the rest of the time is was HOT.

Simper FI
Bill
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 12:21:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 1:06:02 PM EDT
[#30]

Mason City, Iowa in 1980.  This place had to be the homosexual capital of north Iowa - southern Minnesota.  The most high class bar in town was the gay bar of course.  I lived in the upstairs apartment of big old house.  The dude that lived below me was queer.  The best part of the arrangement was a very fine looking woman living in the upstairs apartment of the house next door.  Her bathroom window faced my living room window.  You can guess the rest.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top