Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/25/2001 9:31:38 PM EDT
It would appear that the Senate conference committee is finally ready to take action on S.1438.

Click [url]http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/getdoc.cgi?dbname=senate_calendar&docid=sc-1,[/url] which is directly from the US Senate web site.
On Tuesday the 27th., matters come to a head, and it is up to us to see that Section 1062 is not part of the final version sent to the President's desk.

So... time for one last barrage of faxes and phone calls to the Congress and Senate critters below.

[b]The USGI Magazines You Save may Be Your Own![/b]

The House and Senate Chairmen and Ranking Members of the Armed Services Committees: House Chairman Bob Stump, House Ranking Member Ike Skelton, Senate Chairman Carl Levin, and Senate Ranking Member John Warner.

Senator Carl Levin:
Washington Fax # (202) 224-1388
Washington Phone # (202) 224-6221
Lansing Fax # (517) 377-1506
Lansing Phone # (517) 377-1508

Senator John Warner:
Wash. Fax # (202) 224-6295
Wash. Phone # (202) 224-2023
Roanoke Fax # (540) 857-2800
Roanoke Phone # (540) 857-2676

Congressman Bob Stump:
Wash. Fax # (202) 225-6328
Wash. Phone # (202) 225-4576
Phoenix Fax # (602) 271-0611
Phoenix Phone # (602) 379-6923

Congressman Ike Skelton:
Wash. Phone # (202) 225-2876
Jefferson City Phone # (573) 635-3499
E-mail: [email protected]

Link Posted: 11/25/2001 9:44:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for the update NYPatriot!!

ColtShorty

GOA KABA COA JPFO SAF NRA

"I won't be wronged,  I won't be insulted
and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do
these things to other people and I require
the same from them."
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 4:11:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Btt!!!
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 5:28:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 5:50:10 AM EDT
[#4]
If I am right, under ex post facto, if it was legal and now they make iot illegal, then they have to compensate you, for turning it in?
I want current prices, let's see, I have some $600 toilet seats, and several $140 hammers.....hmmmn
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 7:52:29 AM EDT
[#5]
BTT, and link for those who might not know what this is all about... [url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=58306[/url]
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 9:06:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 6:42:23 PM EDT
[#7]
fuck them, let's revolt this time.
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 6:52:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Made calls today with the demand that Section 1062 be removed. The person at Sen. Warner's phone seemed to be totally unfamiliar with the damage that would be caused. My major subject of discussion was the effect on aviation. There are many restored military aircraft worth in excess of a million dollars. Crushing these into aluminum cubes would make a lot of powerful people quite unhappy. I brought the firearm issue up later. Congressman Stump's office said he is opposed to 1062. Congressman Skelton's office was polite and said they would pass along my opinion. Then I called Sen. Levin's office. The girl I spoke with said the conference commitee would remove the seizure of aircraft, vehicles, and firearms from 1062, but not remove 1062. I then asked what exactly it is that Sen. Levin wants to confiscate, and I got no answer. Stay on your Senators and Congresmen.
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 6:53:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 8:24:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 8:34:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Good report Copterdoctor!

I plan on making my phone calls Tuesday morning, and I will post the reactions as well.

Anyone else with feedback???
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 8:55:46 PM EDT
[#12]
I don't understand how the Feds can even tell if a Surplus Magazine ever belonged to them. All my 30 Rounders have no markings whatsoever. But, this reaches far beyond Congressional Powers to Regulate Interstate Commerce. That is why Pre-Ban/Post-Ban Exist. The Feds may for now be able to regulate the manufacture, movement or sale of an item in Interstate Commerce or Affecting Interstate Commerce, but seizing legally owned items goes beyond Regulating I/C. If this does pass, I fully expect SCOTUS to finally pick up the ball and kick Congresses collective asses.
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 9:13:57 PM EDT
[#13]
cc48510, don't count on the SCOTUS hearing this case if it becomes law, let alone handing down a favorable ruling.

The Supreme Court is asked to hear about 3000 cases a year, and they hear only about 50-75.

Better to make our voices heard , and not have to hope aganist hope after the fact.

Link Posted: 11/26/2001 9:28:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
(snip, snip).... but not remove 1062. I then asked what exactly it is that Sen. Levin wants to confiscate, and I got no answer. Stay on your Senators and Congresmen.
View Quote

What do they want to confiscate?  Your choice.  Your right to choose the way you live your life.  Think of it as power getting to their heads.  Like a monarchy viewing the people as children that need someone to tell them what to do.

Now, with that in mind, read every law out there and see if that's what they wanted.  Public good is an excuse..... not a reason.

"The good of the many outway the good of the one...." paraphrased from Star Trek.  

Logic be damned!!!  Not in this country!!!
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 11:19:46 AM EDT
[#15]
btt
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 12:18:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Well... I got around to calling today, and here are the results.

Rep. Stump's office was very receptive to the opinion that section 1062 is unwarranted, and they said that he is working to have the entire provision removed from the final draft of the DoD bill.

Rep. Skelton's legislative aid was not in the office when I called, but I left a brief voice mail about section 1062, along with my contact info.
I have yet to hear back from her.

Senator Warner's office politely took note of my opinion, took down my name and address, and that was that.

Senator Levin's receptionist launched into a pre rehearsed speech when I told her why I was calling.
She said that section 1062 is in the process of being reworded so that it will exclude firearms, and other equipment of "historical or cultural value".
I asked her exactly what was meant by those terms, and she was unable to give me a clear answer.
 Not satisfied with her explanation, I asked that the section be deleted from the bill entirely, and she huffed with annoyance, and said that she would pass my message along to the good senator.

I am not holding my breath on that one. After all, Levin is the knucklehead who authored this provision in the first place.

So... how did it go for you guys???
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 12:40:56 PM EDT
[#17]
I called yesterday too.

Stump is defintely on our side.

A Skelton aide was friendly & said
Rep. Skelton is a 2nd ammendment backer.

Left a voice mail at Warner's office.

The gal at Levin's office was basicly as
you described. Canned response & seemed annoyed.

Her annoyance may be a good sign.

Hopefully they're getting plenty of calls.
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 12:42:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Senator Levin's receptionist launched into a pre rehearsed speech when I told her why I was calling.
She said that section 1062 is in the process of being reworded so that it will exclude firearms, and other equipment of "historical or cultural value".
I asked her exactly what was meant by those terms, and she was unable to give me a clear answer.
 Not satisfied with her explanation, I asked that the section be deleted from the bill entirely, and she huffed with annoyance, and said that she would pass my message along to the good senator.

I am not holding my breath on that one. After all, Levin is the knucklehead who authored this provision in the first place.

So... how did it go for you guys???
View Quote

Sounds like you got the same "mindless bimbo" and "recording " I got.

Exactly the same BS about re-wording it, and then out loud huff when I asked that it be stricken completely.

Link Posted: 11/28/2001 12:44:12 PM EDT
[#19]
So what is the status of the session yesterday??? Anyone seen any news?

Link Posted: 11/28/2001 4:11:56 PM EDT
[#20]
NATAS
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 4:18:40 PM EDT
[#21]
I while back I sent an email to Senator Warner ( l live in Virginia and he is my Senator).

I got back some bullshit form letter saying that  he can't act on my behalf unless I send a signed letter.

Apparently phone calls and email don't work any more!!!
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 6:07:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I while back I sent an email to Senator Warner ( l live in Virginia and he is my Senator).

I got back some bullshit form letter saying that  he can't act on my behalf unless I send a signed letter.

Apparently phone calls and email don't work any more!!!
View Quote

And 'real' mail isn't delivered until it has been irradiated which takes time.  What a crock.  We haven't had any mail delivered in my office in months.

Everyone keep calling until we hear what has happened.

Link Posted: 11/28/2001 8:29:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Ditto to what 7 said!
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 8:39:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
fuck them, let's revolt this time.
View Quote

I'll be destroying nothing, keeping everything.Want my address? Willing to have my statue commissioned. Put it on The Mall in DC. Come and get me.
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 9:19:44 PM EDT
[#25]
... I will absolutely find time to contact Congressman Bob Stump @ both locations tomorrow.
I hope you'll find time to do this [u]and contact someone or in your life that will do the same[/u]!

... all you folks that frequent other sites need to get the message [b]over there too[/b]!

Link Posted: 11/28/2001 9:30:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Preach it from the roof tops Winston_Wolf!!!  [beer]
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 2:13:47 PM EDT
[#27]
BTT
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 3:41:58 PM EDT
[#28]
btt [argue][soapbox]
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 3:57:37 PM EDT
[#29]
Btt.
Soapbox, ballot box, jury box....
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 4:11:56 PM EDT
[#30]
I then asked what exactly it is that Sen. Levin wants to confiscate, and I got no answer. Stay on your Senators and Congresmen.
View Quote

Sen. Lenin is a MI Sen. and is NOT one of the good guys. He is about as anti-gun as they come. If you want to know what he wants to confiscate, you have to look no further than the Klinton anti-gun agenda.
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 7:21:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Btt.
Soapbox, ballot box, jury box....
View Quote

...t.v. box.
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 8:54:06 PM EDT
[#32]
... And if enough of us sit on our hands concerning matters such as these, someday it may be... THE BULLET BOX!
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 9:15:46 AM EDT
[#33]
Great news folks! This not just an Internet rumor, it is true... Section 1062 is DEAD in committee!

I just got off the phone with Congressman Bob Stump's office, and they have confirmed that section 1062 has been stricken in committee, and will not appear in the final version of the bill.  

Thanks and credit are deserved by all who wrote, called, and faxed their opinions concerning this matter, and we can collectively exhale... FOR NOW.

Rest assured however, that this same demil provision will rear its ugly head in the future.

[b]The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.[/b]
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 11:04:22 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 11:31:04 AM EDT
[#35]
OUTSTANDING NEWS!!

SRM
[beer]
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 12:01:36 PM EDT
[#36]
One down and MANY MORE to go!! Great work!!!! [marines]
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 1:00:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
... And if enough of us sit on our hands concerning matters such as these, someday it may be... THE BULLET BOX!
View Quote

CARTRIDGE box, not bullet box.

Dont you know the difference between a cartridge and a bullet after all these years?

Shesh some people[rolleyes][;D]
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 4:34:23 PM EDT
[#38]
Dec. 12 Neal Knox Update -- Sec. 1062 of the Defense
Authorization bill, the provision allowing any "significant
military weapon" -- including all guns ever owned by the U.S.
Government -- to be recalled or ordered destroyed, has been
completely removed by House-Senate Conference Negotiators.

Yesterday, the chairman of the House Armed Service Committee,
Bob Stump (R-Ariz.), called to say he "had fixed that." I had told
my wife that he would be calling, and the two items to ask him
about if he called while I was out. Not until nearly midnight did
I learn that Bob had gotten it taken it out completely. That's what
I'd asked him to do nearly two months ago because Sec. 1062 was so
bad it was unfixable.

Most of the 51 members of the conference didn't see the bill,
negotiated by only the chairman and ranking member of each house
committee, until late yesterday. They are expected to finish up any
wrangling this week and vote early next week. The contentious
issue is a round of base closings, which has caused the long delay.

Some of the near-hysterical hype that's been on the internet
said the bill required destruction of former government arms,
vehicles and planes. But it would have allowed a future
administration to do it -- I can't imagine this one issuing such an
order.

Now we've got to find out where within the Defense Department
this scheme came from, for the second year in a row, and see to it that
he or she is dismissed or transferred to Lower Soblovia
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top