Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/21/2001 5:16:40 PM EDT
[url]http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/fr/575856/posts[/url]
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 5:47:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Oh crap!

Where is the campaign to recall this guy?  Lord I hope this fails.  We don't need the anti's getting a win on this one.  They'll come after every state in the union that has a CCW law if they do.
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 7:11:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Crap dude, I saw you were from WI and I thought it was a story from there.

I don't know why this judge thinks CCW Laws are unconstitutional.  However, there are those who say that the 2nd specifically allows individuals to carry in any way they deem necessary.  And any law regulating this right is an infringement on the 2nd.  Is that his problem with the CCW law or is he saying that carrying a concealed weapon is a violation of the constitution?
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 8:46:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I don't know why this judge thinks CCW Laws are unconstitutional.  However, there are those who say that the 2nd specifically allows individuals to carry in any way they deem necessary.  And any law regulating this right is an infringement on the 2nd.  Is that his problem with the CCW law or is he saying that carrying a concealed weapon is a violation of the constitution?
View Quote
It's because of the way the New Mexico Constitution is written.  Their version of the Second Amendment guarantees an individual right to keep and bear arms but [i]specifies[/i] that it does not protect a right of concealed carry.  The question before the court now is whether the new state concealed carry law is (state) constitutional.  One side says that the state constitution language prohibits concealed carry without an amendment, the other says that it just means that a state law is needed to authorize it.  In the interim, this judge has told NM law enforcement to hold off on issuing concealed carry permits until the matter is settled.
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 9:17:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Since open carry is permitted, don't fret.
[b]Everyone should carry whenever, wherever possible.[/b]
Two things may happen:
- Sheepeople will become overly concerned about how many of us are out there and create a backlash against CCW and ownership in general.
- Or if we live amongst well informed citizens, it may facilitate a CCW passage.
More likely the first.
I only wish I had this dilemma here in NY.
It would give me great pleasure to rub it in their noses.
Link Posted: 11/22/2001 6:23:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Whatever happened to "we the people"? Seems to me that if the people of New Mexico wanted the CCW law to be in effect, hence their votes, that this guy is totally out of line. Why does this guy think he, in his infinite wisdom, can void their desires? Is this another case of "I'm from the government, I'm here to help"?
Link Posted: 11/22/2001 7:16:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Whatever happened to "we the people"? Seems to me that if the people of New Mexico wanted the CCW law to be in effect, hence their votes, that this guy is totally out of line. Why does this guy think he, in his infinite wisdom, can void their desires? Is this another case of "I'm from the government, I'm here to help"?
View Quote

Exactly.....

Link Posted: 11/22/2001 7:25:22 AM EDT
[#7]
New Mexico is like Colorado in this regard.

You have the state constitutional right to keep and bear arms, but at the same time, the state constitution has provisions that allow local jurisdictions to circumvent the constitution, especially when it come to firearms.

If you live in a state that allows local law to circumvent state law, you live in one screwed up state.

Jay
Arizona
Link Posted: 11/22/2001 7:48:38 AM EDT
[#8]
This is why all gun owners must be involved in politics, must vote, and must support national and state level pro-gun groups.  They are in desperate need of money right, so please donate if you can.  Most are preparing for the 2002 elections already.

What happend in NM could have easily happend in Michigan, as our CCW law also went to the MI Supreem Court.  However, in the 2000 election the state level group MCRGO promoted several Supreem Court judges who won.  Since the people we wanted on the court were they, they ruled as we hoped they would.  I'm not sure if NM elects or appoints their Supreem Court Justices, but either way, it's politics that determine who is appointed.

Gun owners in NM need to get organized for the 2002 election and get the anti's out of office.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top