Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/20/2001 10:30:26 AM EDT
1. Do you believe in a Heaven?

2. Do you think you're going there?

3. If you think you're going to Heaven, what makes you so sure?
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 10:34:19 AM EDT
[#1]
1. No
2. N/A
3. A few things.  First off, everything we can tell so far says that a lot of what makes us what we are, what makes you "you," is chemical reactions in your body, mostly in your brain.  Basically, your personality is a function of your memories acting in the theatre of your brain chemistry.  So, how does that personality survive beyond the death of that brain?  It doesn't.  The best you could do is run a simulation of it that might be 100% accurate...but it would still be a copy, not the original.
So if anything survives death, it isn't anything that I would call "me."  So it wouldn't make much sense to be concerned about any sort of afterlife.
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 10:35:17 AM EDT
[#2]
No spooky ghosts, then.
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 10:36:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
1. Do you believe in a Heaven?
View Quote

In my Fathers House are many mansions. If it were not so, i would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you."

Christ, John 14:2

2. Do you think you're going there?
View Quote

"Thomas saith unto him, Lord we know not where you are going, and how can we know the way?

Jesus saith unto him, I am the way teh truth and the life, no man cometh unto the Father, but by me."

John 14: 5-6

3. What makes you so sure?
View Quote

"If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteouness."

I John 1:9

Link Posted: 11/20/2001 10:37:00 AM EDT
[#4]
1. No.
2. How can I go there when it doesn't exist?
3. Faith.
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 10:37:05 AM EDT
[#5]
I belive there is a higher power. He shows himself to different cultures in differnet ways. He is not Catholic or Jewish or any of the many religions that populate this planet. He just watches over us and will judge us when we die.

I've been a good person, and have spent much time helping others.

When I die I hope I will be found to have lived a good life.

Av.
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 10:37:24 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm the 1st vote for

I believe but I'm Hellbound

?

Come on fellers fess up!
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 10:37:26 AM EDT
[#7]
1 - Yes
2 - No, I don't think I'm sure.
3 - Because I've placed my trust in Jesus as my personal savior, I believe He was crucified, died on the cross to pay for my sins, and I believe on the third day he rose from the dead to sit at the right hand of God the Father.

Note:  This is the [b]ONLY[/b] reason I know I'm going to heaven.  It has nothing to do with my works while I'm here on earth.  Yes, I go to church, yes I read my Bible, yes I sing in the choir, and yes I do alot of things Christians are supposed to do.  But these have nothing to do with me entering the kingdon of heaven.  Christ's blood alone accomplishes that.  Nothing
else.

(I believe it 'cause that's what the Bible says.)
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 10:37:36 AM EDT
[#8]
1. Absolutely
2. Yes, I don't THINK so...I KNOW so.
3. It is clear that a payment must be made for each man's sins.  Because Jesus offered himself to pay for my sins, the judgement was placed on him and the price was paid.  God's Word is true, so I have taken Him up on his offer to pay the price for me.

'nuff said.
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 10:39:04 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm a Jew.  Jesus was a prophet and Hell doesn't exist.  Christians made all this other crap up for political purposes.  Hell, even Jesus was a Jew and Christians readily admit this.  But for some reason they run off on some odd tangent and make up all this stuff when we Jew's know better... and we can prove our case with documentation!
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 10:40:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Yikes - there  are TWO other garandman's besides me????

Some of you are gonna be REAAAAALLLY saddened to learn that.

[:D]

Link Posted: 11/20/2001 10:44:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Darn, I hate to get involved in this....

I was "saved" long ago and believe and all that, but I have "sinned" a bit over my 45 yrs.

Accordingly, I voted Hellbound, but I suppose by the "letter" of the baptist doctrine I'll get to heaven, only I'll be cleaning out Mother Teresa's toilets![:\]

Link Posted: 11/20/2001 10:45:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Heh heh..
I always get a kick out of when people announce that they're going to Heaven.
As if they've figured out a formula.
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 10:45:14 AM EDT
[#13]
The Force Luke!, feel the Force!
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 10:47:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

garandman, you had a choice of choosing:

Yes, I'm going to Heaven...

or

I am garandman...

You chose the latter, my prideful friend.[devil]

Link Posted: 11/20/2001 10:47:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Heh heh..
View Quote

The formula was pretty easy to figure out once I started reading the right "recipe book".
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 10:48:49 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Don't fret, after all your "father" has three alter ego's too!  You know, the whole trinity thing.  There's one more of you out there somewhere!

Will the third garandman please step forward?
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 10:50:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Heh heh..
View Quote

The formula was pretty easy to figure out once I started reading the right "recipe book".
View Quote

Easy, huh?
Oh the arrogance....
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 10:51:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Don't look at me.  I'm the AntiGarandman predicted in the Book of Reservations...I'll reveal myself after the Rupture.
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 10:51:58 AM EDT
[#19]
1. Yes
2. Yes
3. There was a time in my life when everything was bleak.  Not going into details, but there is NO WAY I would have lived through it on my own.  I got back into the religion I had thrown away, and have been saved ever since.  I am not a good Christian, I try to work at it, and am getting better.  Even though I make mistakes, because I have accepted Jesus Christ as my Savior, I will be going to heaven when I die.

In short, it's called FAITH.
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 10:52:15 AM EDT
[#20]
1. Of course.
2. I'm really working on it.
3. Faith, and faith alone, that when Jesus says He'll come back for us, you can believe that He's gonna come back for us.

Eric The(Faithful)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 10:53:13 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Accordingly, I voted Hellbound, but I suppose by the "letter" of the baptist doctrine I'll get to heaven, only I'll be cleaning out Mother Teresa's toilets![:\]
View Quote

By the letter of the baptist doctrine, Mother Teresa is going to hell...
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 10:53:37 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Heh heh..
View Quote

View Quote

Easy, huh?
Oh the arrogance....
View Quote

It's arrogant of me to state that [b]UNTIL[/b] I read the Bible I didn't know?  
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 10:53:54 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

garandman, you had a choice of choosing:

Yes, I'm going to Heaven...

or

I am garandman...

You chose the latter, my prideful friend.[devil]

View Quote

Actually, I DID NPOT choose "I am garandman" I chose " I'm going to heaven. i about fell out of mu seat laughing when by the first time I had gotten to the thread, TWO people had alredy voted "I am garandman."

Neither of them were me.

Link Posted: 11/20/2001 10:54:10 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

And how do you know you DID read the right recipe book?  There are so many, after all...
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 10:54:26 AM EDT
[#25]
soon I discovered that this rock thing was true, Jerry Lee Lewis was the devil, Jesus was an architect previous to his career as a prophet. all of a sudden I found myself in love with the world so there was only one thing that I could do, was ding a ding dang my dang-a-long ling-long.
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 10:54:44 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Heh heh..
View Quote

Hey, garandman has the perfect solution.  He's definitely going to heaven because he gets to reinterpret God's law whenever it suits him.  This is a handy clause I missed in Sunday school that he obviously picked up on.  Had I known about this little known secret I would have stayed with the church!  Here's garandman's secret to being a good Christian:

Quoted:
So, in essence, i take what the Bible says, throw in a few etymologies, apply a little common sense and come up with a definition that works fer me.
View Quote

It's that simple!!  We're all going to heaven!  I've interpreted the Bible (through the application of common sense) to say I can do as I damn well please and I'll always be forgiven.  Hurrah!

I'm packing my bags baby!
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 10:55:08 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

The "Baptist Doctrine" [b]IS[/b] the Bible.  Your problem isn't with the Baptists!
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 10:55:27 AM EDT
[#28]
You chose Heaven, garandman???!!!

Curses!
I thought I had you on a one way trip to Hell.

You won this round, garandman......
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 10:59:01 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

The "Baptist Doctrine" [b]IS[/b] the Bible.  Your problem isn't with the Baptists!
View Quote

I don't have a problem with any of the various denominations, as I believe all of them are believing a convenient fantasy.  As are all other devotees of any human religion, IMHO.  
I am not sure if there is any sort of God or not, but one thing I am sure of is that no human religion has "The Truth" about him.
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 10:59:10 AM EDT
[#30]
1. Absolutely
2. Yes
3. Since you didn't specify which I am so sure of...
a.(for question 1) Faith. I don't think that humans came to be out of pure coincidence(called evolution by its followers).

b.(for question 2) Because I have asked forgiveness of my sins repeatedly and I will until I die. I try to be a good human and worship God.
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 10:59:53 AM EDT
[#31]
1. There is a heaven.
2. If I'm lucky.
3. There is no such thing as life with self awareness and no spirit. RikWriter has a good point about the functioning of the mind and such but doesn't come to the correct conclusion. Many of the ways that the mind/body work with the chemical reactions are due to limitations of the design. There is a limit on what you can concieve and therefore everything has been regulated to support this. After you die and the limits of your physical being are discarded then you will no longer need to be limited by your body's functionality (protection system). You will quickly reach an all new state of awareness and then truly become a different person. But it will be so much more than what you are now. As far as reflections/memories of your current life, you will have reached a level, sort of a Zen thing, where you can understand the limits of your mortal self and feel at ease with its history. Although you will truly be someone else at that point (at a much higher level of being) it will be much better and fulfilling.

Okay, enough of that crap, anyone shoot bin Ladin yet???
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 10:59:57 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

I'm no Baptist, but....

Scripturally, Regardless of your relative level of good works, IF you have NOT received jesus Christ as your Lord and Savoiur, you are going to Hell.

I tend to beleive Mother Teresa will be in Heaven. But ONLY because I beleive she knew Christ as Saviour - NOt because she "earned" heaven.

Link Posted: 11/20/2001 11:00:32 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
soon I discovered that this rock thing was true, Jesus was an architect previous to his career as a prophet. all of a sudden I found myself in love with the world so there was only one thing that I could do, was ding a ding dang my dang-a-long ling-long.
View Quote

Drag racing...

Drag racing...
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 11:01:19 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
a.(for question 1) Faith. I don't think that humans came to be out of pure coincidence(called evolution by its followers).
View Quote

You keep saying that (in various threads), but it's a lie.  Evolutionary science makes no claims about whether it was pure coincidence or divine intervention that caused things to happen...it just describes HOW it happened.
The vast majority of Christians accept evolution and are easily able to reconcile it with their Christianity.
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 11:02:40 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
[img]http://www.ar15.com/images/bioPics/libertyof76.jpg[/img]
1. Absolutely
2. Yes
3. I have asked forgiveness of my sins repeatedly and I will until I die. I try to be a good human and worship God.
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 11:04:01 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I'm no Baptist
View Quote

That's obvious, as you seem ignorant of their opinion of Catholics.
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 11:05:44 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

Rik,
 What in your understanding of the "Baptist Doctrine" makes you think Mother Teresa is going to hell?  I'm interested in knowing.  (Mostly 'cause I have [b]NO[/b] idea where she's goiing!)
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 11:06:51 AM EDT
[#38]
My favorite verses of the Bible revolve around that humble Passover Meal (Seder), when the Lord and His little Church gathered around the table for what was to be the final time on this earth. Knowing the expectancy that each of the disciples would have shared as devout Jews, and all their expectations of the World to Come, Jesus looked at them and said:[red][b]'In My Father's House are many mansions, if it were not so, I would have told you.'[/b][/red] John 14:2

If you believe nothing else, believe that Jesus would not have lied, and that He most certainly would not have lied to those around Him, who were to shortly suffer for His sake.

And that He most verily would not have lied to them on that night, about so great a subject as their place, and our place, in a heavenly Kingdom.

Eric The(Faithful)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 11:12:02 AM EDT
[#39]
1- Yes
2- Yes
3- Because my name is garandman.
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 11:15:08 AM EDT
[#40]
1. Sure

2. No, I'm a Catholic, and garandman's already said that I'm screwed. But I'll be the guy installing a T-1 in Hell so we get wicked fast streaming pr0n.
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 11:15:21 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm no Baptist
View Quote

That's obvious, as you seem ignorant of their opinion of Catholics.
View Quote

HArdly.

They consider the Catholic Church to be the "Mother of Harlots" as referred to in the Book of Revelation, and believe a future Pope will be the AntiChrist.

Some  of the major reasons I don't consider myself "Baptist."

that and dispensationalism. But that's another wilderbeast to skin.

Link Posted: 11/20/2001 11:18:01 AM EDT
[#42]
It seems to me that an honest answer, for some, would be:

1. "I don't know."
2." I sure hope so."
3. "How can anyone be sure?"

Everyone's so sure, so far....
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 11:20:21 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

And how do you know you DID read the right recipe book?  There are so many, after all...
View Quote

Let's gamble then.  The winner gets to go to Heaven! [;)]
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 11:21:56 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
It seems to me that an honest answer, for some, would be:

1. "I don't know."
2." I sure hope so."
3. "How can anyone be sure?"

Everyone's so sure, so far....
View Quote

Hold up there... re-read my post:

When I die I hope I will be found to have lived a good life.

I agree with you though. Nobody has a "Get into Heaven Free" pass. Everyone must be judged, even those that are good people.

Av.
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 11:22:48 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
They consider the Catholic Church to be the "Mother of Harolts" as referred to in the Book of Revelation, and believe a future Pope will be the AntiChrist.

View Quote

garandman, you are painting with a really wide brush here.  Our church belongs to the Southern
Baptist Convention, and I've been there long enough to have gone through 3 different studies on the book of Revelations.  I've never heard [b]OR[/b] read anything like that in any SB literature.  (I paid attention, too.)
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 11:24:44 AM EDT
[#46]
There is that slim chance that some of the "interpretions" of the How To Go To Heaven sections of the Bible, were misread....
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 11:25:20 AM EDT
[#47]
Scripturally, Regardless of your relative level of good works, IF you have NOT received jesus Christ as your Lord and Savoiur, you are going to Hell.
View Quote

Does that mean that all of the people who died before Jesus did are in Hell?  Or did the "salvation only through Christ" rule only come into effect once Jesus announced it?
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 11:26:59 AM EDT
[#48]
Yeah, are the Preban souls allowed to hangout with the Jesus-saved varieties?
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 11:27:42 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

Does that mean that all of the people who died before Jesus did are in Hell?  Or did the "salvation only through Christ" rule only come into effect once Jesus announced it?
View Quote

I [i]think[/i] Old Testament law applies to those who died before Christ's resurrection.
I'd have to read up on though.
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 11:30:08 AM EDT
[#50]
1. Yes

2. Yes

3. Romans Chapter 10 verses 9&10 says

That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.
For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

If you do these things, you are saved.
If you are saved, you're on your way to heaven. Your name is written in the lambs book of life and I did these things so I qualify....do you?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top