-money
-wife
-gun shop owners
-Usama Bin Laden
-prices
-transportations
-importers

I booked my first AR!!!

I choosed an preban Olympic Arms K4B, with all the fittings of the M16A2 standard.
Maybe Saturday (if what the importer said is true...) I can go to take it home!!!
I have to travel for 400 miles in one day, but the price I got worth the effort...
How can I post the pictures when I will be able to shoot them?

See ya brothers...

Paolo AR15 Ortenzi

[img]http://www.olyarms.com/popup/img/k4b.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 3:15:24 AM EDT
[#1]
img problem solved... can't wait to shoot this beauty...
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 3:19:15 AM EDT
[#2]
What are the firearms laws like in Italy?

Hope you enjoy the rifle. Post some pictures of your shoot if you can, preferrably with some hot Italian women in the background.

Michael
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 4:07:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Post some pictures of some hot Italian women and if you happen to get your new rifle in there that would be OK too.

Congrats.  Your first?

How much if you don't mind me asking?
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 5:28:26 AM EDT
[#4]
what cal?  .222 ?   or can you own .223 ?
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 5:44:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Congratulations!  [beer]
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 6:37:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Congradulations! I see that you finally did it. I have been reading your past posts, and that you were seriously thinking of buying one sometime in the future.  Just being noisy, but how much did you pay for your toy in term of U.S. dollars?
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 6:53:57 AM EDT
[#7]
To Ponyboy: laws can put you easily in trouble in Italy, exactely like in USA to have a preban or a postban in CA. It is all licenced and registered, but laws are better if compared to some states of the USA (always CA...). The only thing that doesn't exist is FFL Class III and we're not allowed handguns in 9 Para.

To Halfcocked: Yeah, my first! No I don't mind to tell you: about 1350 USD. A price for a preban Colt with bayo lugs and flashhider can arrive up to 2500 USD!!!

To vicg1: recently (4 or 5 years ago) we're allowed in .223 with some limitation:
-no military surplus
-no AP bullets
-no tracers

if the LEOs will inspect your ammo cache or mag and find those kind of cartridges, the rifle (classified for HUNTING) will be considered as WAR WEAPON, and you are arrested on the spot...

Link Posted: 11/21/2001 7:15:44 AM EDT
[#8]
I didn't know that a ban in our country would affect the cost over seas.
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 7:26:46 AM EDT
[#9]
The US ban would have an effect on AR prices world wide.

If the supply is less than the demand in the US and prices go up, then ARs will stay here.  The only way they will make it to other markets is if those markets are at equal or better margins.
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 9:26:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
After a long struggle with:
-money
-wife
-gun shop owners
-Usama Bin Laden
-prices
-transportations
-importers

I booked my first AR!!!

I choosed an preban Olympic Arms K4B, with all the fittings of the M16A2 standard.
Maybe Saturday (if what the importer said is true...) I can go to take it home!!!
I have to travel for 400 miles in one day, but the price I got worth the effort...
How can I post the pictures when I will be able to shoot them?

See ya brothers...

Paolo AR15 Ortenzi

[img]http://www.olyarms.com/popup/img/k4b.jpg[/img]
View Quote

Good luck with your rifle. Please do post some pics when you can.

Is reloading OK in Italy?
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 10:58:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Good luck with your rifle. Please do post some pics when you can.

Is reloading OK in Italy?
View Quote

Yes, is allowed, and it's the most common practice for the people that want to shoot a lot and not bankrupt. I reload 9x21, 30-06, 32 auto (but I stopped), and I am ready for .223. For the .223 I choosed RCBS Precision Dies.
Link Posted: 11/22/2001 12:28:47 AM EDT
[#12]
I hope you realize that "spending money" is now a thing of the past, as add-ons for your AR will quickly become "neccessities."
Link Posted: 11/22/2001 8:23:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

If the supply is less than the demand in the US and prices go up, then ARs will stay here.  The only way they will make it to other markets is if those markets are at equal or better margins.
View Quote

It should have no effect on world market prices just because rifles with preban features are banned in the US.

In a country with no such bans then Bushmaster, Colt etc would be free to sell the rifles with all of those features. Why would somebody in another country want to buy an old rifle that costs more in American when they can buy the exact same gun that is brand new?

That would be like saying just because an Italian made handgun in 9mm that is sold here also would rise in value just because it was banned for sale in Italy. The manufacture will just keep making the same gun and shipping it overseas.

I'm not really informed on the type of ban Italy has on ARs with preban features that would drive the price up like it has, but what you said above doesn't really make sense.

Michael
Link Posted: 11/22/2001 8:41:39 AM EDT
[#14]
i think maybe the price increase has to do with the exchange rate
Link Posted: 11/22/2001 9:35:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
i think maybe the price increase has to do with the exchange rate
View Quote

I can understand why normal ARs cost more over there simply due to the fact that it costs money to export and ship merchandise along with any applicable excise taxes there may be on weapons once they arrive.

I just don't understand the preban stuff that newtoma is trying to explain.

Michael
Link Posted: 11/22/2001 9:39:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

It should have no effect on world market prices just because rifles with preban features are banned in the US.

In a country with no such bans then Bushmaster, Colt etc would be free to sell the rifles with all of those features. Why would somebody in another country want to buy an old rifle that costs more in American when they can buy the exact same gun that is brand new?

That would be like saying just because an Italian made handgun in 9mm that is sold here also would rise in value just because it was banned for sale in Italy. The manufacture will just keep making the same gun and shipping it overseas.

I'm not really informed on the type of ban Italy has on ARs with preban features that would drive the price up like it has, but what you said above doesn't really make sense.

Michael
View Quote

There is no ban in Italy. It's only that Colt is not producing anymore (and exporting) pre ban rifles. Now, if you want a brand new rifle from Colt, you can buy only MT. It's a matter of policy, not of technology: for the rest, we have no such a thing like "evil features": if Colt would decide to produce and export AR15 with flash hider and bayo lug in Italy they are already legal. The importer in Italy told me that Colt can even send flash hider for the MT, but that refuse to mount them on the rifle destined for export.... PC is powerfull... *SIGH*
Link Posted: 11/22/2001 7:05:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Paolo,

Why don't you just buy a preban upper then? Thats the only difference between the two.

Michael
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 6:01:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Paolo,

Why don't you just buy a preban upper then? Thats the only difference between the two.

Michael
View Quote

the barrel and bolt are the "restricted" items in a lot of European countries, not the receivers as done here... it may be the same in Italy.... we'll have to wait for Paolo to tell us...  hey Paolo, speaking of exchange rate how much is 1000 Lira worth in USD?  When I visited about 10 years ago 1000 was $0.85 US...  I think it's gotten better (for us) since then... I'll probably visit again soon.
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 6:14:47 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Paolo,

Michael
View Quote

the barrel and bolt are the "restricted" items in a lot of European countries, not the receivers as done here... it may be the same in Italy.... we'll have to wait for Paolo to tell us...  hey Paolo, speaking of exchange rate how much is 1000 Lira worth in USD?  When I visited about 10 years ago 1000 was $0.85 US...  I think it's gotten better (for us) since then... I'll probably visit again soon.
View Quote

You're right. Barrels (like uppers) and bolt are considered as firearms, and purchase is licensed.

I don't know exactely, but

0.88 USD = 1 Euro = 2200 dollars up to yesterday.
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 4:08:49 PM EDT
[#20]
that's right, the euro... forgot about that.  Sounds like the exchange is even more favorable for US visitors.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top