Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/16/2001 5:00:32 PM EDT
Ok, we have all heard it again and again..."I don't like deer meat. Its just too gamey!" What are some of your favorite recipes to turn non deer eaters, into lovers? When I do my steaks, I usually sprinkle a little garlic salt, pepper, and Lowry's on it, marinade it in Coke for a couple of hours, and then toss it on the grill. I have gotten a lot of positive response out of that. Any other ideas?
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 5:01:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 5:07:26 PM EDT
[#2]
We love shish-kabobs, cut it into chunk, marinate overnite in terryaki sauce, with fresh ginger. put on skewer, and on the grill. Bon apetit!

Link Posted: 11/16/2001 5:24:24 PM EDT
[#3]
While gutting the deer take the inside tenderloins and let them set on a plate, over night in the fridge, sprinkled with salt and garlic powder.

The next day fire up  the grill and throw them on in one piece.

4 minutes a side.  Don't over cook.  Do them like a fine beef tenderloin, pink in the middle.

MMMM! YUM, YUM.
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 5:33:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
We love shish-kabobs, cut it into chunk, marinate overnite in terryaki sauce, with fresh ginger. put on skewer, and on the grill. Bon apetit!

View Quote

Dude (I'm assuming),

You can spell that word/phrase?  I don't even know what it means except what I can gather about the way it's used.  [BD]
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 7:34:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 9:09:46 PM EDT
[#6]
If this stuff is so tasty then why are you trying to force it upon those of us who think the best tasting deer is a Herford.

I think the deer eating mentality is like any other virus. It will do anything lie,cheat, and steal to spread it's evil into general society.

That crap just don't taste good. That's why they grind it all into jerky and sausage just to make it passable with spices.

If you wern't all about assasination and trophies then you would head shoot the deer and not ruin the meat. But that would ruin the trophy wouldn't it and you brave deer hunter could not have that.

Most of you set up your tree stands above the salt lick anyway.
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 9:12:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 9:15:25 PM EDT
[#8]
D_H, you aint had venison done right.
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 9:19:58 PM EDT
[#9]
I guess he isn't interested in my Possum Stew recipe then.
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 9:30:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Soak the venison steaks in buttermilk.  This will help remove some of the "gamey" taste.  Batter it and fry it like you would chicken-fried steak.  Ain't nothin better.
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 9:36:47 PM EDT
[#11]
I don't know what the recipe is but I had some venison jerky a few years back. My uncle brought back a couple pounds from Alaska. Caribou I think. It was undoubtedly the best jerky that I've ever tasted. Unlike other meats, venison is slightly oily which keeps it  moist and all that flavor is locked in.
Link Posted: 11/17/2001 4:41:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/17/2001 4:55:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Just for the record, I hunt meat and antlers, use my doe tags during bow season and hunt the big one during the rut with my muzzleloader or rifle.  A mature buck, (5 1/2 years-6 1/2) will probably die within a year if I don't shoot it, it is good deer herd management.
Ok now that I am off my soap box [soapbox].........put in a deer ham into the crockpot w/ 1 cut up onion and 1 cut up garlic poor in your favorite bbq and cook for 6-7 hours.  Drain the meat and pull it using forks then reapply bbq.

Cut deer ham or loin into small steaks.  Take a meat pounder and mash it into a very flat steak, roll in flour and cornmeal, fry in the frying pan, serve with eggs.
Link Posted: 11/17/2001 5:02:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Pan fried cube steak! Hmmmm.  Use a little olive oil and some garlic. It is quick and tasty!!! Make sure to get a young one, nuch better meat taste. Although the 3 yr old doe I killed this month is quite tasty!!

[beer]
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 2:08:02 PM EDT
[#15]
I just ran across this page of venison recipes, and I thought you guys might be interested.  Since so many of you are coming home with your kills lately....thought you might like some variety in how you cook it.

[url]http://www.bowhunting.net/susieq/crock.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 2:27:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Great tasting venison begins with the field dress and doesn't end until it ends up on your plate.  

First, make sure you field dress the deer and bleed it IMMEDIATELY after shooting.  Don't puncture anything internal and DON'T get any field dress gunk on the hind quarters.

Next, get it cool as soon as possible.  Hang it up, skin it, remove scent glands.  Keep the hair off your meat as it contains oils which will seep into the meat and flavor it.  Keep the meat dry.  Cut off any bloodshot areas you can while it's hanging.

Keep the tenderloins and backstrap separate as they're already perfect without human intervention.

The key to eliminating gamey flavor is to trim all fat, connective tissue, bones, bloodshot areas etc from the meat, slice by slice, before freezing.  This is a fair bit of work but is a HUGE factor in keeping your deer tasty.  Venison fat goes rancid much more quickly than beef fat - get it off your meat.  It also helps to dice your meat into separate piles - one for top notch 'absolutely no white stuff' and another for grade two stuff with small ribbons of white stuff running through it.  The grade two stuff makes excellent hamburger, sausage or whatever.

My personal favorite recipe is:
sauteed with diced onions until medium, with salt and lemon pepper and a tiny tiny hint of garlic.
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 2:31:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 2:33:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Except for saving the backstrap, I have the rest ground for hamburger and get the butcher to season it with beef fat.  FL deer are small so I just forget about steaks, the burger can be used in a lot of things.  If I could cook as good as my grandmother I might do otherwise but instead I just choose to visit at suppertime on occasion.  

My father and grandfather used to get it seasoned with pork fat if you like more a sausage taste.
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 2:48:20 PM EDT
[#19]
I don't know how the wife does it, but it's always good.
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 3:02:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
That crap just don't taste good. That's why they grind it all into jerky and sausage just to make it passable with spices.

If you wern't all about assasination and trophies then you would head shoot the deer and not ruin the meat. But that would ruin the trophy wouldn't it and you brave deer hunter could not have that.

Most of you set up your tree stands above the salt lick anyway.
View Quote

David, I don't hunt for trophies anymore.
Venison is not crap, it is very low in fat and free from antibiotics and growth hormones.
Head shots on a running deer are not very easy.
If you have a standing shot and the time, OK.
You want to put one right behind the front shoulder into the heart/lungs.  This wastes very little meat.
I've never used a tree stand or a salt lick.
We build our homes on deer feeding and mating grounds and our roads on their migration routes(at least here in the wild wild west).
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 3:04:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Crock pot.. meat.. veggies.. snappy tom or beer. Turn in on in the morning.. eat it at night.. a single mans roast [8D]
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 3:07:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
[img]http://www.hunting-pictures.com/members/gloftoe/DSCN0364.jpg[/img]

-Gloftoe
View Quote

Hey I havent seen a rack that nice since I was at hooters last week [:D]
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 4:13:13 PM EDT
[#23]
That photo reminds me of the Tinks 69 commercial that was on TNN a couple of years ago that featured two wall mounted trophy Bucks talking to each other... one was shouting 'Tinks 69, Tinks 69' and then the other said 'if I was half the Buck I used to be...' and the first replied 'you are half the Buck you used to be.'
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top