Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/15/2001 3:17:02 PM EDT
You would think it would have been very easy for them to waste these people considering what we are doing to their country right now.

Did they have ulterier [sp] motives?

Any guesses?
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 3:26:48 PM EDT
[#1]
I heard that the NA took over the place they were being kept, don't know if there's any truth to that, though.
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 3:55:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Based upon what we know of the Taliban - they simply didn't get the chance! They were taking them from Kabul for a reason, not just to let them go in the open countryside.

I agree with Born_In_The_PRK, the NA just got between them and the hostages!

Eric The(CourseTheLordHimselfMayHaveHadAHandInIt!TheyWerePreachingChrist!)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 4:13:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Eric The[StopAndThinkAboutThisForAMinute]Hun, it doesn't take long to pull a trigger and kill eight people. Maybe it was devine intervention. Maybe because they didn't have time to skin them alive, maybe because they had no audience. Maybe a deal was cut, we let them go and you don't shoot our convoy. I'm glad they are free. It will make an interesting movie someday.
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 4:21:38 PM EDT
[#4]
They were worth much more alive! As a bargain chip. but i dont think they had the time to use them, also the were worried about the wrath of the us military if they did kill them.
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 5:04:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Because everything we've been told about The Taliban is a lie?

Sorry, that wasn't the answer you were fishing for?

I think it was dumb luck, and a little too much momentum on NA side.
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 5:33:16 PM EDT
[#6]
I heard on FOX news that the truck they were on was abandoned after being caught between a rock and a hard place. The NA to the north was bearing down blitzcrieg style and three Blackhawks with crew flew ahead to the next town and set up a road block to the south. When they found the truck, it was abandoned. Their Taliban captors must of fled into the hills when they saw the road block on their only road out. It was pure luck that their truck wasn't fired on and destroyed by the patrolling aircraft.

Correction, they were abandoned still in their prison cells. The local people let them out when the Taliban made a hasty retreat. They were blocked off on North and South by the spec ops soldiers and NA.
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 5:57:33 PM EDT
[#7]
They were bargaining chips that slipped out of Al Quaida's hands.

Personally I think they were stupid to go there to convert people. The are many more godless heathens here in America. Plus we don't behead Christians here, just burn churches.
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 6:41:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Perhaps one of Uncle Sam's minions managed to grease the right palm this time.  
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 7:38:13 PM EDT
[#9]
They were too busy running to grab or kill their prisoners.  Sorta like the SS in the final days of the Reich.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 8:32:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Because they hadn't been tried and convicted yet.  The Taliban believe in the rule of law.

[puke]
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 11:01:00 PM EDT
[#11]
During their press conference the girls said the Tallies asked them to write home and ask for money so I guess the taliban thought they could make a few bucks by letting them live.
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 4:48:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Read this story, it'll tell you why...[url]http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-111601aid.story[/url]...I think. [>]:)]

Link Posted: 11/16/2001 4:51:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
It was pure luck that their truck wasn't fired on and destroyed by the patrolling aircraft.

View Quote

Yep - it was "luck" alright!

[b]L[/b]iving
[b]U[/b]under
[b]C[/b]hrist's
[b]K[/b]indness
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 5:33:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
They were bargaining chips that slipped out of Al Quaida's hands.

Personally I think they were stupid to go there to convert people. The are many more godless heathens here in America. Plus we don't behead Christians here, just burn churches.
View Quote

I agree with both of your points. Don't get me wrong: I'm thrilled that they're free and on their way home, but they knew that preaching the gospel in Afghanistan was an executable offense, then went ahead and did it anyway.

-a3kid:
Living
Under
Christ's
Kindness
View Quote

And what would you have called it if they [b]had[/b] been killed horribly by the Taliban? Good people, good Christian people, get whacked everyday.
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 5:43:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

-a3kid:
Living
Under
Christ's
Kindness
View Quote

And what would you have called it if they [b]had[/b] been killed horribly by the Taliban? Good people, good Christian people, get whacked everyday.
View Quote

I would have called it God's will.  Period.
He can intervene whenever he sees fit, why and
when He does or doesn't are questions I'll not
have answers to while my body is still alive on this earth.

I'll not begin to try to understand or attempt
to explain why some Christians end up getting
killed and some are spared.  I do believe that
when something like this happens, the standard
interpretation of the word "luck" is lacking.

edited to add that's why I give Him the credit!

That's just me though.
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 5:52:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Let's seee. Allah is with Bin Laden so he says, and they are getting their butts kicked.....G*d's will seems to look right about now....
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 5:54:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Let's seee. Allah is with Bin Laden so he says, and they are getting their butts kicked.....G*d's will seems to look right about now....
View Quote

Allah can't hold a candle to the God that's on
the side of the United States of America.  The
proof is all over the news!
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 8:40:51 AM EDT
[#18]
Imagine! If YOU were in charge of guarding enemy troops, and the enemy was closing in on you and you had no way to take these prisoners with you........ would YOU kill them??

Just wondering!  DaMan

PS - I think we'll learn the true story pretty soon from misionaries themselves.

Link Posted: 11/16/2001 9:05:22 AM EDT
[#19]
A more astute question would be, Was a deal made? Why when the Taliban forces were fleeing Kabul and on the road to Kanduhar did we not bomb the shit out of them? We knew they were in full retreat, the road was full of vehicles. Remember the "highway of death" in Kuwait? I smell a deal.
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 9:11:45 AM EDT
[#20]
Why when the Taliban forces were fleeing Kabul and on the road to Kanduhar did we not bomb the shit out of them?
View Quote

Who says we didn't? And in the article that I cited above, it was said that George W. was worried that these Christian missionaries might get in harm's way during the bombing.

Who said anything about a deal?

Eric The(Patience,DearFriends,Patience)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 9:14:33 AM EDT
[#21]
If we had bombed them on the road from Kabul, catching them in large numbers with their pants down, we would have heard all about it.
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 9:19:34 AM EDT
[#22]
Well, during the Gulf War we already had A-10s in the vicinity, so the 'Highway of Death' was just a matter of timing it right.

Maybe Bush held these missionaries in the 'palm of his hand' and prevented any massive bombing of the Taliban caravan. Maybe God did. Anyway, these missionaries went unharmed, whoever may be responsible for it.

Do you think that our mission has been an abject failure so far? No? I thought not, so let's just leave it to Bush & Crew, he brought us this far, he will bring us home.

Eric The(AskTheGirlsWho[b]They[/b]ThinkBroughtThemSafelyHome-IBetIKnowTheirAnswer!)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 9:25:07 AM EDT
[#23]
Nobody's attacking the royal family. Just pointing out that what is presented to the public as "policy" is more often than not told to us to make us feel good and very far from the "behind closed doors" truth.
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 9:54:37 AM EDT
[#24]
Heard on ABCNEWS this morning that they werer treated fairly well, even protected).
But on CNN it say they where mistreated e.g lock in steel container... some suggest they were going to be moved to Kondahar  there thay "won't make it"

I guess more resource ful people can find the link.
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 10:14:58 AM EDT
[#25]
Would the killing of these Christian missionaries have won "hearts and minds" of even the most radical Mujahadeen (or the rest of the Moslem world)? ......NOPE!

Do you think the possibility that the retreating Taliban had these hostages with them would have stopped US bombing?  Doubt it!

But we'll find out soon!  The missionaries themselves will have a pretty good idea of WHY they were left alive!

DaMan
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top