Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/14/2001 10:46:28 PM EDT
I was schocked when my brother spat out that he believes guns are dangerous because they're "used against their owners" overwhelmingly instead of defending themselves.  Now I've known this guy all my life, it's dismaying how time, and that damned media, can make so many differences between 2 people.  

Help:  Can anyone show me information, fbi, or gov sources or any studies showing that this is completely FALSE?  I gotta show this guy the truth instead of the crap he's heard.
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 10:58:43 PM EDT
[#1]
"More Guns Less Crime", John R. Lott, Jr.   ISBN:0-226-49363-6   (that the ISBN for the cloth hardback)  Lots of statistics, Dr. Lott started out attempting to prove just the opposite (what your brother believes) and is now one of the most expert people in the area of self defense uses of firearms - specifically how it relates to CCW laws.

Hope this helps - I'm sure there's a ton of other references out there - heck even the FBI's web site will have the info - just a pain to weed through
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 11:16:01 PM EDT
[#2]
I personally enjoyed the book "The Samurai, the Mountie, and the Cowboy: Should America Adopt the Gun Controls of Other Democracies" by David B. Kopel
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top