Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/10/2008 7:06:49 PM EDT
Wow its been a long trip to try and get medical records and such to get approved to go on the floor at MEPS for my Physical. My Back story you can read here. www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=77&t=665352

I meet up with my recuiter the 16th so he can go over my packet with me. Is there anything i need to ask or make sure stuff is straight before *Crosses fingers* i sign the contract the next day at MEPS?

And does anyone have any advice for me at MEPS when im there. All i know is to bring a book. Can i bring my iphone inside MEPS? And anything else should i look at about my contract before i sign?

I'll be enlisting as 11b in the ARNG. So i hope all goes well and i get to sign on that dotted line. Wish me luck guys.

-Thanx
Link Posted: 4/10/2008 7:11:15 PM EDT
[#1]
MEPS is extremely boring. No phone, plan to be there all day and no sleeping.
Link Posted: 4/10/2008 7:12:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Practice your duck walk, and be ready for the most boring day of your life.
Link Posted: 4/10/2008 7:15:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Integrity: Don't lie to them no matter what you recruiter says.

You can't use your phone, except for emergencies.

Just remember that the military is not for everyone.  If you don't feel ready to enlist just tell them and be honest with your recruiter.  I have heard of people who permenantly DQed themselves because they got cold feet and purposefully failed the hearing test.

Thanks in advance for your service.

ARnutt
Link Posted: 4/10/2008 7:16:34 PM EDT
[#4]
try and wedge a Airborne or RIP contract in in you can. tell your recruiter its the only way you will join
Link Posted: 4/10/2008 7:17:22 PM EDT
[#5]
It was boring as hell. Wear boxers, no "banana hammocks". They will ask you about any scars you have, be prepared to answer for them. Also, have fun having some old guy look at your junk and shove his finger in your ass
Link Posted: 4/10/2008 7:21:26 PM EDT
[#6]
I was by all accounts not physically qualified for service after a drunk driver broke both of my legs and ankles. I'm covered in scars.
I got picket fenced (all 1s, everything was good to go) at MEPS. All you have to do is be nonchalant about everything, nothing hurts, nothing has given you problems, and you'll be okay. Be honest, but downplay everything. "Oh that? Yeah that scar looks worse than it was..." etc.
Link Posted: 4/10/2008 7:22:20 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Just remember that the military is not for everyone.  If you don't feel ready to enlist just tell them and be honest with your recruiter.  I have heard of people who permenantly DQed themselves because they got cold feet and purposefully failed the hearing test.

ARnutt

Don't lie, but don't volunteer ANY information to them that isn't seriously life threatening.
Link Posted: 4/10/2008 7:24:00 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Unless you have already lied, then stick to your story, no matter what. Part of the receiving process at Parris Island was to sit everyone in a room and scare the shit out of them, offering us a "last chance" to come clean on anything we lied about during our enlistment process. Otherwise, we would be prosecuted, yada, yada, yada. They really put the fear in to us.

A few guys cracked and confessed some things like drug use. They were sent packing. It was all total B.S., they knew everything they were ever going to know from the background check and what the recruiter made record of. I went to high school with 6 other guys in my platoon and know for a fact that some of them lied about drug use. All of them graduated with me and one was our honor man.

Link Posted: 4/10/2008 7:24:21 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

ARnutt

Don't lie, but don't volunteer ANY information to them that isn't seriously life threatening.

+1
Link Posted: 4/10/2008 7:25:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Be sure to wear clean underwear, you will be going around most of the day in your grundys.
Link Posted: 4/10/2008 7:29:03 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Be sure to wear clean underwear, you will be going around most of the day in your grundys.

+1  The guys with skid marks are there.. don't be one of them.
Link Posted: 4/10/2008 7:33:10 PM EDT
[#12]
don't get trashed the night before; according to one of my friends they breathalyzed in the morning and had to yank out a few people.  this is hearsay FWIW
Link Posted: 4/10/2008 7:40:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Please, please, please, for the love of God, know your personal information. My first time at MEPS, the guy in front of me in line didn't know his own social security number. The Marine Master Sergeant taking the information was truly a sight to behold. He went from to to in about two seconds. Veins popping out on his forehead, spit flying, nose to nose with this kid. I loved it...especially the part where it wasn't me.

To this day, I'll never know why they had a Master Sergeant doing clerk duty at MEPS.
Link Posted: 4/10/2008 7:41:50 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
don't get trashed the night before; according to one of my friends they breathalyzed in the morning and had to yank out a few people.  this is hearsay FWIW

They did when I went
Link Posted: 4/10/2008 7:42:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Well, it's long, boring, and a little stressful, as they keep emphasizing the fact that you could end up in the brig if you lie.  Be sure to find out every hospital you've ever been treated at, and get your medical records for review.  Be as truthful as possible, and stick to your story.  The old guy won't stick his hand up your ass, at least he didn't do it to me... or I wouldn't admit to it .

Hanging around there can be really boring, and I certainly didn't think I'd like talking to a bunch of kids fresh out of high school.  But, getting to meet those guys, and realizing that most of them were willing to put their lives down to defend everyone, gave me a new respect for all of them.  It was a real eye opener.

Which made it really suck for me to hear that something fell through with my application.  Fortunately, that physical is good for 2 years.  Hoping to join the guard sometime soon.

If you're there to ship out, though, that won't matter.  Thanks for your service!
Link Posted: 4/10/2008 7:51:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Really not a whole lot of advice to give. Dress conservatively, nothing with holes in it. Don't lie, but don't volunteer non-vital info either. Be sure they give you exactly what you've been told you'll get before you sign the papers (you should have a one-on-one sit down with someone for this, so don't be afraid to ask questions, clarify, etc.). Bring whatever your recruiter tells you to. Realize that you are in something of a military setting and act accordingly.

Other than obvious basics like that, just enjoy the ride. It is a very inter-service environment, which can be interesting. It will be intensely boring and occasionally akward. I can vouch for the clean underwear thing....the guy facing me in one of the exercises did not adhere to such advice, and we'll just say racing stripes were the least of my concerns.

And I see you are going in as ARNG....good choice. You can delay your ship date by up to a year from when you sign, and every single day counts as part of your enlistment (one big difference from enlisting in an active component and being in DEP). If you want to leave right away, more power to you, but you might as well leave when YOU want (take into account Ft. Benning weather, current life status, etc.). You will do RSP drills every month before leaving, and they can do a LOT to prepare you.

Let me know if you want any info or guidance, etc.
Link Posted: 4/10/2008 7:54:49 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
try and wedge a Airborne or RIP contract in in you can. tell your recruiter its the only way you will join

+1

I wish I would have followed that advice when I was joining years ago.
Link Posted: 4/10/2008 7:58:42 PM EDT
[#18]

Non None and Never were the answers that worked best for me.  However, I have to say that I did not lie to the folks there and I honestly had to say that I never smoked pot...to this they were astounded.
Link Posted: 4/10/2008 8:01:29 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

for my duck walk will i have my hands in the back of my head? Thats what my recruiter said
Link Posted: 4/10/2008 8:04:06 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

i was really thinking about this... i should ... Whats RIP??

And should i tell my recruiter about it or my liasion?
Link Posted: 4/10/2008 8:05:23 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

that's true for sure.
Link Posted: 4/10/2008 8:06:06 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

for my duck walk will i have my hands in the back of my head? Thats what my recruiter said

Yes
Link Posted: 4/10/2008 8:07:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Don't wear tighty whitey's or any other exotic underwear.  Boxers are where its at...
Link Posted: 4/10/2008 8:17:25 PM EDT
[#24]

If its not in your contract when you sign it, you will not get it. Make sure everything you want is in that contract. Walk if it isn't.

Link Posted: 4/10/2008 8:20:14 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Don't wear tighty whitey's or any other exotic underwear.  Boxers are where its at...

How about boxer briefs?
Link Posted: 4/10/2008 8:25:30 PM EDT
[#26]
A ring of lipstick, bright blood red, around the ManTool will go well
Link Posted: 4/11/2008 10:17:22 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
A ring of lipstick, bright blood red, around the ManTool will go well

Imagine what face the Docs would have if they would see it LoL... i dont think they would be to happy lol
Link Posted: 4/11/2008 10:23:36 AM EDT
[#28]
Sit there quietly and listen or read.  Don't be the punk who spouts off that he's going to be a Navy SEAL then gets kicked for undescended testicles.

Wear underwear.  Clean underwear.  You'll be spending a significant portion of the day in your skivvies, including a set of exercises to check your range of motion.

Treat everyone with respect.  They can make your life miserable for the day.

Don't sign anything unless your satisfied it's what you want.  Don't be afraid to come back another day, especially if you've got a good ASVAB.

Keep your mouth shut.  If they find something wrong with you, good for them, but there's no need to volunteer.  If you've got a scar, it's probably from when you fell off a bike as a kid.

Drink water.  You'll get to perform a piss test with a dude watching.  You may get "stage fright" and lock up, but a full bladder will often prevent this.

And you have our thanks!

Link Posted: 4/11/2008 10:23:48 AM EDT
[#29]
Get an MI gig if you can, have 11B as a fall back.  Try for 97B or 97E, (this will require research on your part, as they are now 35 series MOS) with language, also RIP and/or Airborne.  If you get Airborne, as you walk into the patches building after basic and AIT, look left, and there's the Ranger liasion.  Talk to him.  The more schooling you have, the more you will be surrounded by people who really WANT to be there.  The lowest common denominator goes up dramatically.  

Oh, thanks for your service, best of luck.  I live very close to Ft Benning.  drop me a note at [email protected]
Link Posted: 4/11/2008 10:26:31 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Ditto this. And be prepared... when you go in a door marked EKG, it actually means some old lady is going to check your balls and stick her finger in your ass.
Link Posted: 4/11/2008 10:35:01 AM EDT
[#31]
Damn that was so long ago did mine at Oakland,Ca.

That was a long day for sure
Link Posted: 4/11/2008 10:35:17 AM EDT
[#32]
Thank you guys for the advice.

For example say i do my physical and im approved and everything and all i need to do is sign my contract but theres something wrong with my contract. Do i have to go do a another physical when i come back? or do i just come back another day and just sign another contract?
Link Posted: 4/11/2008 10:41:35 AM EDT
[#33]
I went through it in DEC. its not as bad as people say, yes there are the civilian employees who are dicks but all the military people are very nice. Have fun pissing in a cup while some dude watches, it was a first for me and I had to drink a shit ton of water to do it. The rest is cake, the worst part is getting your blood drawn well at least for me because I am a pussy when it comes to needles but they are very good and you barely feel it. The duckwalk is easy although there was a dude who failed do to that and another guy failed because he could not rock back from his knees to his feet. Its not an enjoyable experience by any means but its necessary to make sure everyone is fit for the military.
Link Posted: 4/11/2008 3:59:47 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Thank you guys for the advice.

For example say i do my physical and im approved and everything and all i need to do is sign my contract but theres something wrong with my contract. Do i have to go do a another physical when i come back? or do i just come back another day and just sign another contract?

I forget how long your physical and background check is good for but if you want to take a few days or longer to decide, you will not have to go through it all again. Don't sign it if you are not happy with it. People will get mad at you but stand your ground.

I was taken into an office to see a Lt Col who tried to brow beat me into signing the contract they offered. After letting him know I was in no hurry to sign anything and had more options besides the military. 15 minutes later I had a new contract with everything I requested. Don't be afraid to walk. After you sign your contract, you will probably never see these people again. So it really doesn't matter if you piss them off or not.
Link Posted: 4/13/2008 3:07:08 PM EDT
[#35]
bump for the sunday crew
Link Posted: 4/13/2008 3:23:42 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Wow its been a long trip to try and get medical records and such to get approved to go on the floor at MEPS for my Physical. My Back story you can read here. www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=77&t=665352

I meet up with my recuiter the 16th so he can go over my packet with me. Is there anything i need to ask or make sure stuff is straight before *Crosses fingers* i sign the contract the next day at MEPS?

And does anyone have any advice for me at MEPS when im there. All i know is to bring a book. Can i bring my iphone inside MEPS? And anything else should i look at about my contract before i sign?

I'll be enlisting as 11b in the ARNG. So i hope all goes well and i get to sign on that dotted line. Wish me luck guys.

-Thanx

Best advice I can give you is your name is "Next" while your there. Otherwise you will be there all day. Everyone has covered everything else.
Link Posted: 4/13/2008 3:30:56 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 4/13/2008 4:22:00 PM EDT
[#38]

Keep your mouth shut

Best  advice ever. And act like you don't speak English. Make them ask every question three or four times and then don't answer. Most who fail do it to themselves.
Link Posted: 4/13/2008 5:00:51 PM EDT
[#39]
you can't get RIP for National Guard
Link Posted: 4/14/2008 3:17:49 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was taken into an office to see a Lt Col who tried to brow beat me into signing the contract they offered. After letting him know I was in no hurry to sign anything and had more options besides the military. 15 minutes later I had a new contract with everything I requested. Don't be afraid to walk. After you sign your contract, you will probably never see these people again. So it really doesn't matter if you piss them off or not.

A whole lot of truth here.

I went down, and they kept telling me the cmbination I wanted was not available and wanted me to sign what they said was "available". I said no thanks, came home, and the next day my recruiter called to say it was a "computer error" and now they offered everything I wanted.

When did u go back to MEPS to sign the paper? Did u wait a few days?

And when you went back to MEPS did all u have to do was sign the contract and not go through the whole physical again?
Link Posted: 4/14/2008 4:24:16 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Please, please, please, for the love of God, know your personal information. My first time at MEPS, the guy in front of me in line didn't know his own social security number. The Marine Master Sergeant taking the information was truly a sight to behold. He went from to to in about two seconds. Veins popping out on his forehead, spit flying, nose to nose with this kid. I loved it...especially the part where it wasn't me.

To this day, I'll never know why they had a Master Sergeant doing clerk duty at MEPS.

General Duty in a geographic area where he wanted to retire after this tour.  Light duty after wounds, Has a year left, etc, humanitarian transfer/duty, etc.  There are a variety of ways and means to get a cushy job if one so desires when one becomes a Master Sergeant.  In fact to become a Master Sergeant one must no a variety of ways and means of navigating the bureaucracy called the Marine Corps.
Link Posted: 4/14/2008 4:40:19 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 4/15/2008 11:46:28 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And when you went back to MEPS did all u have to do was sign the contract and not go through the whole physical again?

Went back the day after they called and said they had what I wanted. No need to redo the physical or anything, just went in and signed.

Hopefully i can hit out MEPS in one whole day.

one other question for you guys how long of a distance will i have to do the duck walk?
Link Posted: 4/15/2008 11:48:35 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Went back the day after they called and said they had what I wanted. No need to redo the physical or anything, just went in and signed.

one other question for you guys how long of a distance will i have to do the duck walk?

They lined about 5 people up and had us go ~10' in one direction, turn around, an go back
Link Posted: 4/15/2008 12:12:44 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They lined about 5 people up and had us go ~10' in one direction, turn around, an go back

Cool not bad at all.  Thanx CollegeBoy.
Link Posted: 4/15/2008 1:04:31 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
   If its not in your contract when you sign it, you will not get it. Make sure everything you want is in that contract. Walk if it isn't.

+1
Link Posted: 4/15/2008 1:11:29 PM EDT
[#47]
Keep your eyes on your own junk, don't fall asleep, and don't enjoy the hemroid check too much.

Link Posted: 4/15/2008 1:15:10 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Been over 20 years,I remember that now and it's True
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top