Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/13/2001 9:21:46 AM EDT
I get to go have one Friday.  What am I in for?  Should I stock up on hard liquor?
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 9:37:54 AM EDT
[#1]
As long as it isn't "hot" as my dentist would
say (read: abscessed) they aren't bad.  My poor
daughter (8yo) inherited horrible teeth from
none other than me.  She got 4 root canals and
crowns in one day, and still [i]enjoys[/i] going
to her dentist - says she's "Really nice".  Other than a little swelling after the fact, no
bad side effects.

Hope this eases the anxiety!
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 9:38:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I get to go have one Friday.  What am I in for?  Should I stock up on hard liquor?
View Quote

Nah, don't stock up on Hard liquor - they'll give you a prescription for really nice pain killers...

If you've got a good guy, it really won't hurt much ... but then again, if he isn't that concerned about your pain, it could be rough.

The guy I had was pretty good - I didn't even need the painkillers they prescribed - Ihad a really good buzz on the novicane though...
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 9:42:17 AM EDT
[#3]
*stands up*

Hello, my name is Jarhead, and I'm a dentophobic...

*sits and nervously drinks his coffee*

I haven't been to the dentist since my final physical getting out of the Corps in February of 1996. I get jittery when people around me talk about their recent procedures...

"Is it safe?"
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 9:52:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Pain doesn't hurt. - Patrick Swayze from Road House.

I've had 2 or 3 and they don't hurt at all.

Link Posted: 11/13/2001 10:01:22 AM EDT
[#5]
I've had one,many years ago, but the tooth was alread dead.  Some novicane(sp) and didn't feel a thing.

The worst part was the tooth dying 6mo before, very severe pain for a few days.  Even saw a dentist, but it was a [:I]"daddies lil' boy"[:I].  The guy just graduated from USC, and daddy hired him.[:I]  "No, nothings wrong with your tooth"[:I]
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 10:21:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Well, I've had two, one molar & one up front.  The molar worked fine.  Put on a temp cap that day & a ceramic cap a month or so later.  It's worn in fine & I don't think about it at all.

The one up front, upper left side, second from the centerline.  Got brittle & the tooth broke off a couple of weeks later.  IMO, they screwed it up.  Just had the root pulled by a dental sugeon (easy) who's going to put an implant in.  The original "dentist" wanted to grind down two perfectly good teeth, one on either side & make a bridge.  An implant basically uses a titanium self-tap screw for a root & glues a ceramic tooth on top of that.  It's supposed to last forever.

Neither root canal hurt.  More pushing & shoving than anything.  Once the novocain wore off, it was just some dull throbbing.  Asprin took care of it for me.  Not as bad as some people make it out to be.  Alcohol doesn't really help, just drags out the healing process & gives you the joys of hangovers in addition.
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 3:54:43 PM EDT
[#7]
I’ve had three.  

Two didn’t hurt; one almost killed me.  

The one that hurt was abscessed.  The dentist give me so many Novocain shots my eyelid became numb - and the pain was still unbearable.  However, I had walked into the office in excruciating pain to begin with.

Sounds like you shouldn’t have a problem.  If it was me, I’d take two or three Advil about an hour before the appointment.   You’re probably going to be just a little sore when it’s over.

If you’ve got any type of sinus problems, taking a decongestant might make it a little easier to breath through your nose.  My dentist uses a “rubber dam”, which is something like a piece of balloon rubber placed across your mouth with a hole in the center for the tooth.  It keeps debris from going down your throat.  However, it tends to seal off your mouth, making breathing difficult.

No one ever longs for the “good old days” when sitting in a dentist’s chair!!
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 4:30:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Afraid of the dentist?  Break the ice with him by saying, repeatedly, "Is it safe?"
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 4:48:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Just make sure you wear your belt with the buckle towards the back side....ohhh bad dreams resurfacing........

After a little novacaine, you wont feel a thing. I liked it so much, im going for a second one in a few weeks. OH JOY!

Link Posted: 11/13/2001 5:27:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 8:52:16 PM EDT
[#11]
I’ve had three.

Two didn’t hurt; one almost killed me.

The one that hurt was abscessed. The dentist give me so many Novocain shots my eyelid became numb - and the pain was still unbearable. However, I had walked into the office in excruciating pain to begin with.
View Quote

ROTFLMAO........exactly the same thing with me![:D]

The first two, the only pain was the first injection, which was fine. The third one was terribly painful, but my mouth was numb for a week!

My wife works for an Endodontist(sp), root canal dentist. He said your much better off going to a root canal dentist, then have your reg. dentist do it. For the simple reason that root canal dentists, thats all they do and they are more familiar with pain receptors and pinpoint injection areas to get you totally numb with minimal novacain.

The time I was in alot of pain, I had gone to my reg. dentist. The other two, with no pain, I had gone to a root canal dentist.

[size=4]GOOD LUCK[/size=4][:D]
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 10:14:54 PM EDT
[#12]
I've had two and experienced no significant pain with either one.

Of course, the gorgeous nurse that bent over me very close and slowly licked her lips while she worked didn't hurt.  I almost tipped the tray off my lap!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top