Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/12/2001 6:46:39 PM EDT
This is a subject that comes up here with some regularity.  The current issue of Handloader magazine (Oct. 2001) has a couple articles on the subject.

Once you get past the caveat that you really want a big rifle or a shotgun with slugs, then it's an acknowledgement that even a small gun is better than shoving your arm down the bear's throat and hoping he chokes to death.

The author of the main article, Brian Pearce cites some interesting emergency uses of a handgun on bear.  Some were successful, some weren't.  He makes some points that make a lot of sense, and some that don't.  He makes the point that most commercial jacketed pistol ammo is designed to expand fully in just a few inches and that for bear you want 15 or 20 inches of penetration.  He invokes Elmer Kieth and the use of a hard cast lead bullet the heavier and hotter loader the better.  All this makes sense to me.  I don't agree with his outright rejection of autoloaders.  Sounds like six-gun snobbery to me.

I have loaded 250 gr. bullets in .45 ACP for bowling pin matches, and it is surprising what a difference the extra 10% of bullet weight makes.  It wouldn't be my first choice for bear, but if the .45 is all you have, then better to have the heavier bullet loaded as hot as you can stand it.

Reading the stories of bear encounters was fun.  The story of "Old Groaner" was worth the price of the magazine.  I have had the willies about encountering a grizzly ever since I read the diaries of Lewis and Clark.  How stealthy and fast bears can be is a marvel.  One story is a guy who clocks a bear by driving behind as the bear runs down the road (25 mph for a goodly distance).

The interesting thing was that while there have been some cases where a handgun has saved the life of someone in a bear encounter, most always the person gets mauled or chewed on some.

If you've never read Handloader, pick up a copy.  It always has something of interest.
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 6:52:04 PM EDT
[#1]
I think that bears prefer old muzzle loading pistols, their claws sometimes get stuck in the trigger guard....
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 6:53:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 6:57:36 PM EDT
[#3]
A 10-22 and a .38
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 6:58:17 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a funny bear sidearm story. I worked in a gun store a few years ago, some clown comes in with a Walter PPK .380. He says hes going bear hunting and wants ammo so he can carry it as a backup. The owner tells him if a bears comng after him and thats all hes got to off himeself.
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 7:02:00 PM EDT
[#5]
NO, NO, NO, it "Right to bear arms" [b]Not[/b] "Right to Arm bears".
[i]sorry I couldn't help it [:D][/i]
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 7:05:29 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm afraid something like my .44 Mag is going to feel like a pop gun while I'm sitting up in a tree trying to kill a damn grizzly.  

Autoloaders?  Aside from the Desert Eagles, about the only caliber I can think of that would feel like a futile attempt at longevity would be:

10mm Hot and heavy, leave the 40S&W bullet weights at home.  Suprising how hot you can get a 10, just don't go crazy and pressure them up until the cases start bulging.

45 Win Mag If you can find one.  44 Mag ballistics in a pistol smaller than the Desert Eagles.

Any other pistol, for the most part, I would only use as an implement to help me climb further up the tree.
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 7:14:50 PM EDT
[#7]
In the Handloader article, the author postulates that you might have about 1.5 seconds to draw and fire 1 or 2 shots if the bear starts about 20 yards away.

From what I read the trick will be to hang on to your pistol when the bear knocks you down and jumps on your chest.  Lanyards anyone?
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 7:18:22 PM EDT
[#8]
44 mag with a 6 inch or bigger barrel will do, 240 to 300 grainers at max velocity.

Go over to hunt chat, (www.huntchat.com) and ask them. Some of those guys have been there
and done THAT.

Waterdog
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 7:21:21 PM EDT
[#9]
how about the new Ruger .480, 30% more power than the .44 Mag.  Also, someone makes a single action revolver with a .45/70 option with a 7.5" barrel.  I think it might be Freedom Arms.
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 7:24:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
 ....someone makes a single action revolver with a .45/70 option with a 7.5" barrel.  I think it might be Freedom Arms.
View Quote

Magnum Research BFR 45/70 with a 10 inch barrel is what I would Carry.
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 7:28:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Also, someone makes a single action revolver with a .45/70 option with a 7.5" barrel.  I think it might be Freedom Arms.
View Quote
it was magnum research. the BFR

Link Posted: 11/12/2001 7:31:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
 ....someone makes a single action revolver with a .45/70 option with a 7.5" barrel.  I think it might be Freedom Arms.
View Quote

Magnum Research BFR 45/70 with a 10 inch barrel is what I would Carry.
View Quote

No Flame, but how would you draw that hog leg?
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 8:04:01 PM EDT
[#13]
How about a .357magnum with a 6 to 8 inch barrel?  I think the secret is to actually hit the bear in a bad situation.  You can have a .50 but it would do you any good if you cant hit it.
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 8:21:08 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm with you VirginianM4, I don't believe I'd like to tackle a bear with a pistol.  But if I HAD TO,  I'd want to have a Taurus Raging Bull in 1)45-70 or 2).454 Casull.  I know the .475 Linbaugh is more powerful but I've shot the Raging bull in both the above calibers and it's very controllable and fast when you need it.  Plus when you shoot a dirt berm, it throws dirt clods  back over your head!

Crash.

Quoted:
I think that bears prefer old muzzle loading pistols, their claws sometimes get stuck in the trigger guard....
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 8:30:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Preferably something in orange and navy -

Now for Seahawks...

Oh!  Beeeaaars, yeah, sure.
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 8:42:41 PM EDT
[#16]
[img]www.milpubs.com/smokey.gif[/img]

Aviator  [img]www.milpubs.com/aviator.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 8:58:19 PM EDT
[#17]
12" barrel semiauto or double barrel 12 gauge (where legal).  Let's face facts - it's semi-conveniently sized, can be operated with your remaining hand in a pinch, has sufficient accuraccy if the bloody great critter is close enough to do any damage to you, and it DOES shoot those big frigging slugs.  Nothing like a .8" hole several feet deep to convince a bear that you aren't quite as soft and tasty as you look.

But I'm told that if you choose a handgun for bear defence, it's VERY important that you select one without a front sight.  That way it won't hurt quite as much when the bear eventually shoves it up your ... [B)]

Link Posted: 11/12/2001 9:30:59 PM EDT
[#18]
The guy that owns magnaport has killed just about everything with a handgun. Really it was just a bolt action with pistol grip. But anyways look on his web site he's got a great story about being chased by a grizzly that broke through a cabin door after him. you really can't be sure of anything stopping a griz with one shot.
Some nature guy nut actually filmed, testing pepper spray on bears and found that a good shot in face turn a charging male.
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 9:50:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Whatever you do, Bears can do it better! [rolleyes]

Seriously, the best thing to do is charge the bear and shove your handgun into its throat to blow his brains out from the bottom side up!!! [whacko]

Yeah, [b][i]RIGHT!!!!![/i][/b]  [thinking]

While you're standing there filling your shorts with human waste, the bear is looking at the "Bear Gun" in your hand and thinking: [-!-!-]

Truth be told, the gun really makes you feel better, doesn't it? [:D]

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top