Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/10/2001 9:43:51 PM EDT
We were about 25 miles from home when the cell phone rings. It's my daughter(13) telling us that someone is trying to get in the back door of our house. Told her to call one of the nieghbors to come over and check it out. She calls back and says either the phones are busy or noone answers. We pulled into the border patrol checkpoint, tell them what is going on and ask them to send a unit. We are now about 18 miles from home doing 90+. My wife can hear the door rattling in the background on the phone so now I'm getting REAL anxious. My son has the only firearm available loaded and ready but it is a single shot .410
I beat the b.p. to the house by about 5 min. Whoever it was was gone when we got there. The b.p. officer and I searched the fields for tracks or any other sign, but we couldn't find any tracks due to a recent rain that has the dirt packed down pretty well, but the dogs at one of the nieghbors started barking so b.p. went to check the area over that way. Haven't heard from them since, so I guess they didn;t find anything.
So much for the b.s. of locking the guns up to keep kids safe. Whoever it was (daughter says she thought they were speaking spanish) didn't make it in, but I would have felt much better knowing my children had access to more than just one single shot shotgun. And they will have from now on.
My stance on illegal aliens just drastically changed.
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 9:50:51 PM EDT
[#1]
As long as your kids are educated on gun safety and how to use them properly, that sounds like an excellent idea.  Make sure that they know what a weapon is capable of, and that they respect it!  I don't have any kids yet, but when I do, they will learn how to shoot as soon as they can hold the weapon up!  

Locking weapons just defeats the whole purpose!  
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 9:51:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 9:52:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Gotta tell ya, If I lived that close to the border,I'd keep one in the chamber & ready to
go. Sounds like your daughter should spend some
time at the range. Is it legal to put claymores in your own yard? If it ain't, it sure as hell oughta be.
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 9:59:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
You DoubleTapped this one, GWF.  Glad your family is ok.  That is what matters.
View Quote

Yeah I just noticed that. will delete the other right now.
The kids are both trained in the use of firearms. Niether one of them care much for my .45's, but the rest of the guns they are okay with. I started keeping the guns and ammo locked up due to media crap a couple of months ago when a kid shot his family and took off with a nieghbors kid.
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 11:15:49 PM EDT
[#5]
GWF,

I am also glad that everything turned out okay.  I have a 14y.o. son and a 8y.o. daughter.  Rarely are they left alone, but when they are I do allow my son access to one firearm.  For that matter, there is always at least one firearm downstairs at all times in my house.   This is one of the main reasons I have taught my son how to shoot and taught my daughter all about firearm safety.  Soon even my daughter will know how to shoot.

I live in California and when I tell people that I allow my son access to firearms they literally go crazy!!  They call me irresponsible, but I know my son and he has yet to show me that he is not trust worthy.  If the day ever comes were he shows otherwise I will do things differently, but until then I will continue to allow him to have the means neccesary to protect himself.  

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 11/11/2001 1:10:59 AM EDT
[#6]
sgtar15,

You allow your children access to your evil weapons!?!

And when you are not at home!?!

I'm going crazy!!!

You are irresponsible!!!

(just messing with ya')

GWF, glad everything worked out.
Link Posted: 11/11/2001 1:43:48 AM EDT
[#7]
What about a stun gun, are those illegal for kids?  The next time someone tries to jimmy the door, tell your kids to give the door knob a couple jolts. Make sure that your doors all have solid dead bolts. I just watched Home Alone tonight, after reading your story, it's not all that funny anymore.
Link Posted: 11/11/2001 3:25:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/11/2001 3:56:46 AM EDT
[#9]
I had all outside lights installed on all the corners of my house. There is a master switch in the bedroom and at the outside doors. When I hear a noise, I can lightup the whole outside of my house. Beside with the inside dark and the outside lit up I can see outside very well.

Just an idea.
Link Posted: 11/11/2001 5:12:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Maybe its time for a small Homak cheapo safe in a centrally located closet, when you leave your kids alone, give the oldest a key to the safe (on a lanyard so they wont lose it) and put a cruiser-ready 20 gauge in the safe?  If your kids can handle bigger stuff, put bigger stuff in the safe.  If they cant handle the 20 gauge, reduce accordingly.

Kharn
[Spelling correction]
Link Posted: 11/11/2001 8:48:18 AM EDT
[#11]
I started taking my daughter to the range when she was about 6.  By the time she was 12 she handled herself so well that she had her own belt and holster, and was allowed to wear a loaded pistol on our camping trips out to the desert.  This is a girl who didn't have her first brassiere yet, but she had a beautiful Bianchi brown leather basketweave thumb-break pistol rig.

When she was about 14, my job required that sometimes I had to work late, and was worried about leaving her home alone, so I told her she could pick any gun she wanted out of my safe to keep in her room.  She always seemed to like my 4" Colt Python in factory nickel.

Luckily she never had to use it.  And it's a good thing too - the way she shot any perp who tried to break in would've been tagged and bagged before he made it through the door!  She was a great shot and seemed to be a natural from the first day.  You should've seen this little girl blasting holes in the center of silhouettes totally unfazed by full magnum loads!

And and the years went by she turned 18, went off to school, got married, etc.  But on her 21st brithday I drove out to her house and gave her the Python.  She already had the holster.
Link Posted: 11/11/2001 9:00:55 AM EDT
[#12]
And that folk is how children should be raised!
My son , 10yrs, is proficient with his .22 and my ar's He has tried small gauge shot guns but doesn't like them. Does ok with a handgun but not a master[:)].
Link Posted: 11/11/2001 1:16:05 PM EDT
[#13]
I just spent most of the morning putting new lights up outside, wired into existing switches for the time being, cutting down bushes out in the field for a better view from the house.
Stun guns,I think, would be too much of a temptation. The curiosity factor would be high because I don't know how to show them the effectiveness of a stun gun without using it on something. The kids would probably equate them with a cattle prod. I am sure someone here or one of the animals would get zapped as a joke or just to see what wouild happen. Firearms are much easier.
Oh well, I should have done a lot of these things years ago, I just figured if anything happened, I could handle it. I didn't think about things happening when I wasn't home. Can you say "Wake up call".
Az. is a fairly free state but not quite to the point of claymores in the yard.[}:(]
Link Posted: 11/11/2001 2:30:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Glad things are OK, GWF.
Sounds like you need a German Shepherd or 2.
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 3:09:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Yes, get a dog if you dont have one.

And increase your kids firearm practice after this...
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 3:16:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 3:43:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
What about a stun gun, are those illegal for kids?  The next time someone tries to jimmy the door, tell your kids to give the door knob a couple jolts. Make sure that your doors all have solid dead bolts.
View Quote

A solid deadlbolt is only as good as the door frame.  Most of the time in kick burglaries that's what breaks, not the door or lock itself.

GWF, I'm glad your kids are ok.  Having two of my own, I can only imagine what must have been going through your mind.  If it makes you feel any better, I too was raised on guns, and had access to all of the family firearms from the age of 12.

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 3:48:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Defence in layers:

A fence in the backyard
Gates on the sides
Locked doors and windows
Trimmed bushes and shrubs (roses are nice)
Good lighting
An alarm with a panic switch
A dog
A cell phone
A pistol
A long gun
View Quote

Cactus work better than roses in AZ.
But dont get carried away, you have to get out of some of those windows in the event of fire.
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 3:54:57 PM EDT
[#19]
GWF - sure glad things worked out OK.  If your kids are responsible then additional training is in order.  Buy an appropriate gun for each, some watermellons and give MORE training.  It is a parents highest calling to teach their kids how to stay alive until they are adults and takeover that responsibility.  My daughter was taught to use a .22LR pistol at age of nine and showed where it was kept.  Never had any problems with her gun safety.  

If you are close to the border (and all AZ is TOO close!) then more serious precautions are in order!  A riot gun is a good choice if they can handle it.  Even a .22 can discourage a bad guy if properly applied!  My 11 YO neighbor girl is a dead shot and prefers a .357 so I suggest bad guys look elsewhere! She is cool and you can be sure if I hear gunshot that direction I will be there in a flash with some serious armament to back her up.

I like to see bad guys get theirs.  Discourages such nonsense IMHO.
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 4:17:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted: I started taking my daughter to the range when she was about 6.  By the time she was 12 she handled herself so well that she had her own belt and holster, and was allowed to wear a loaded pistol on our camping trips out to the desert.  This is a girl who didn't have her first brassiere yet, but she had a beautiful Bianchi brown leather basketweave thumb-break pistol rig.

When she was about 14, my job required that sometimes I had to work late, and was worried about leaving her home alone, so I told her she could pick any gun she wanted out of my safe to keep in her room.  She always seemed to like my 4" Colt Python in factory nickel.

Luckily she never had to use it.  And it's a good thing too - the way she shot any perp who tried to break in would've been tagged and bagged before he made it through the door!  She was a great shot and seemed to be a natural from the first day.  You should've seen this little girl blasting holes in the center of silhouettes totally unfazed by full magnum loads!

And and the years went by she turned 18, went off to school, got married, etc.  But on her 21st brithday I drove out to her house and gave her the Python.  She already had the holster.
View Quote

Now [b]that[/b] is way cool [:)]

By the way, how's Harry doing these days?
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 7:01:32 PM EDT
[#21]
GWF, you got off LIGHT. This could have gone bad so many different ways.
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 7:15:30 PM EDT
[#22]
If they arent going to carry anywhere except on your property or out in the woods camping or hunting, why deal with half measures?

If you can afford it.  Buy them both a AR carbine of some form.  Indoors, outdoors, anywhere on your property they will be able to reach out and touch someone. Even if the BG are in a car out on the street or through a door or a pane of glass or, god forbid, body armor.

Oh also they are easy to secure (bike lock through mag well and open ejection port) and to safely stow (bolt locked back, port cover closed, mag out) and get into action(slam mag in, hit bolt release, rock).
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 7:39:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Warn 'em once, shoot 'em twice.
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 7:46:45 PM EDT
[#24]
The article about the crazy guy in California that killed 2 kids with a pitchfork is what convinced me, that when my childeren are responsible enough they too will have acess to a firearm.

Really if child access to firearms were the rampant problem the liberals make it out to be, we'd have noticed the problem 200 years ago.
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 7:47:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Glad your kids are ok. At least they had a 20ga that was something. Better than nothing.
My brother and I were in the same type of situation when I was 18 he was 16.
My parents just left for vacation overseas. That night we had all the lights off and were watching TV when the dog just kept barking and barking. They bad guys parked in front of the house and were trying to break the lock on the garage door.
I went into the garage holding the 10/22 and my brother turned on the light and the lookout saw me in the window and yelled to his partner "he's got a gun!" they jumped in the truck and stood on the gas all the way down a real steep hill and for blocks after that.

We were so damn scared for hours afterwards. We barricaded all the doors ,jammed the garage door, and put chairs with the legs up by all the windows( to hurt them as much as we can I suppose and give us warning)
The house stayed that way until parents came home and wondered what the hell was going on.

Link Posted: 11/14/2001 7:52:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Maybe its time for a small Homak cheapo safe in a centrally located closet, when you leave your kids alone, give the oldest a key to the safe (on a lanyard so they wont lose it) and put a cruiser-ready 20 gauge in the safe?  If your kids can handle bigger stuff, put bigger stuff in the safe.  If they cant handle the 20 gauge, reduce accordingly.

Kharn
View Quote

That is a very very good idea!!

Chuck
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 4:27:31 AM EDT
[#27]
Think about it.  If your kids are old and responsible enough to be left alone or go out alone are they not old enough to defend themselves?  Some of the liberal wackos will not give their children access to weapons but will let their boyfriend over with no supervision.

If my children are alone/away from me it will be when I feel they are capable of defending themselves as well as I could or I am not doing my job.  Planerench out.
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 4:34:55 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
... I would have felt much better knowing my children had access to more than just one single shot shotgun. And they will have from now on.
My stance on illegal aliens just drastically changed.
View Quote

REALITY has a way of shaking one free from the crap the Demicommies are spewing on pretty much any subject.

Link Posted: 11/15/2001 9:26:19 AM EDT
[#29]
I can't believe that you left your children at home without any way to protect themselves.  I'm sure I'm gonna get flamed on this one, but how could you do such a thing.  While you're out partying your daughter could have been ganged raped by a bunch of you-know-who's.  ANY children left alone should have the proper training AND firearms to protect themselves more then adequately.  You're bigger and better able to defend yourself, but they're small and less able to adequately defend themselves.  So they should have BETTER TRAINING AND BETTER FIREARMS THEN YOU.  You are SO lucky they weren't hurt.  I mean how could you do such a thing to them......
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 9:44:15 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Sitting Bull:
I can't believe that you left your children at home without any way to protect themselves.  I'm sure I'm gonna get flamed on this one, but how could you do such a thing.  While you're out partying your daughter could have been ganged raped by a bunch of you-know-who's.  ANY children left alone should have the proper training AND firearms to protect themselves more then adequately.  You're bigger and better able to defend yourself, but they're small and less able to adequately defend themselves.  So they should have BETTER TRAINING AND BETTER FIREARMS THEN YOU.  You are SO lucky they weren't hurt.  I mean how could you do such a thing to them......
View Quote

Uhm, he IMMEDIATELY saw the error he made.  Let's try not to rub it in too much.  They did also have access to the .410 single shot, which is far better than their fists.
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 9:46:37 AM EDT
[#31]
I gave my wife the Python...ok ok maybe the garter(sp?) snake...ok ok... inchworm?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top