Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 3/13/2008 9:57:15 AM EDT
No, I didn't shoot it, but I know who did.  I have a buddy that does a lot of deer hunting on our property, and he usually brings a couple buddies with him.  One of them took a shot at a doe last October, thought he missed, and never recovered the arrow.

Well, I know where it is!  I peeked out the window this morning after a shower, and saw some deer walking onto the grass.  One of them noticed movement in the window, and froze.  I saw her and noticed a little orangeish thing near the ear.  I couldn't figure out what it was until she relaxed and started moving again.  I ran and got my camera.  Sorry about he quality of the photos.  I was shooting through two layers of crappy window.  I snuck outside to get better pics, but the deer walked back into the woods before I could get anything good.  Eventually I stood up and they all ran off through the creek bottom.  The doe in the picture didn't seem to catch herself on anything while running.

Looks like he'll get his chance to recover it this fall.  The deer does not appear to be thin or sickly, IMO.  The shot apparently missed everything important, although it wouldn't surprise me if there was a little sinus infection.  Obviously the doe has no problems foraging for acorns, and was in a social group of about 7 deer.

Update:  My buddy showed these pics to the guy who lost his arrow last October, and he doesn't believe that it is his arrow.  While anything is possible, we are right next to a large state hunting area and surrounded by other hunting areas, and it could quite possibly be anyones deer.  Unrecovered deer die all the time in our area, and it isn't unusual do find carcasses or have the dog bring home a little treat for herself.

To any PETA type.  I am not the shooter.  I merely grabbed my camera and took pictures.  No one is welcome to shoot deer out of season and any trespassers will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law!  The deer is fine now.  She has rights!  Leave her alone to live out the spring and summer in peace.

100% crops:

Link Posted: 3/13/2008 9:59:05 AM EDT
[#1]
That has to hurt when it gets snagged by a twig.  
Link Posted: 3/13/2008 10:02:47 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

I would think so too.  Fortunately, the arrow is sticking out with the long end pointing backwards.  It probably doesn't catch on stuff much, although I am tempted to sprinkle Tylenol around in the grass.  She'll be back throughout most of the spring and summer to munch on our Hosta.

Link Posted: 3/13/2008 10:04:00 AM EDT
[#3]
I would have shot it, and put it out of it's misery. It's got to be in some pain. I don't think it's possable to get shot through the face with an arrow, and not feel really bad as long as it's still there.
Link Posted: 3/13/2008 10:04:42 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would think so too.  Fortunately, the arrow is sticking out with the long end pointing backwards.  It probably doesn't catch on stuff much, although I am tempted to sprinkle Tylenol around in the grass.  She'll be back throughout most of the spring and summer to munch on our Hosta.

Prove what kind of a marksman you are and break that arrow with 2 shots!!
Link Posted: 3/13/2008 10:05:24 AM EDT
[#5]
And that my friends is why you should NEVER take a head shot.  If you miss you do that to a deer and they have to live with it for at least a year before you can take it out for good.  That sucks.
Link Posted: 3/13/2008 10:06:02 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I would have shot it, and put it out of it's misery. It's got to be in some pain. I don't think it's possable to get shot through the face with an arrow, and not feel really bad as long as it's still there.

And if caught you would risk losing your weapon and hunting privileges for the rest of your life!
Link Posted: 3/13/2008 10:06:32 AM EDT
[#7]
IMHO, that's highly fucked up.

Hunting is fine. Leaving an animal to roam around suffering because of your actions is not.

Should have definitely put it out of his pain.
Link Posted: 3/13/2008 10:06:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Hmmm.... well, she does seem healthy enough.
Link Posted: 3/13/2008 10:08:26 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Hmmm.... well, she does seem healthy enough.

Animals have an amazing talent of hiding their pains. There is an evolutionary advantage to this. Animals who are seen as weak are often left behind.
Link Posted: 3/13/2008 10:10:56 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
And that my friends is why you should NEVER take a head shot.  If you miss you do that to a deer and they have to live with it for at least a year before you can take it out for good.  That sucks.

I shot a deer in the head with a 243 a few years back and I hit a little low and forward of what I intended.  I tore the bottom jaw off the deer and the deer took off running.  The deer bled good and I had snow to work with but it still took about 4-hrs to get up on her to put another round in her to put her down for good.

I never thought you could shoot a deer in the head with a rifle before that and have them run off.  I have not tried that shot since and even that time I had the option of poping her in the head or a chest shot but at 25-yards I thought I would save the meat...  

Link Posted: 3/13/2008 10:11:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Call your local DNR or whatever the equivalent is there in IL.  I bet they would issue you a special tag to put that deer out of it's misery.
Link Posted: 3/13/2008 10:12:19 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And if caught you would risk losing your weapon and hunting privileges for the rest of your life!

Those are DNR rules.

I'm not 100% sure, but I suspect that a mercy killing that is not part of a hunt
would not fall under DNR jurisdiction.

Link Posted: 3/13/2008 10:12:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/13/2008 10:12:41 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Agreed.  I know the guy wasn't trying to take a head shot in this case, but from his story about the shot and how it was taken, it was ill advised.  30+ yards, with the deer facing away turned somewhat to the right.  The shot was intended for the chest, but missed.  Not hard to do in that situation.  I never would have taken that shot myself.

Anyway, the deer doesn't seem to be overly suffering to justify shooting it at this point.
Link Posted: 3/13/2008 10:13:53 AM EDT
[#15]
That's crazy, I'm surprised an infection didn't kill it
Link Posted: 3/13/2008 10:15:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/13/2008 10:16:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Hey look, it is the "Wild and Crazy Guy" of the deer herd!  
Link Posted: 3/13/2008 10:16:05 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Agreed.  I know the guy wasn't trying to take a head shot in this case, but from his story about the shot and how it was taken, it was ill advised.  30+ yards, with the deer facing away turned somewhat to the right.  The shot was intended for the chest, but missed.  Not hard to do in that situation.  I never would have taken that shot myself.

Anyway, the deer doesn't seem to be overly suffering to justify shooting it at this point.

Yeah it sounded like he wasn't trying to take a head shot.  I just wanted to make the point that head shots are a bad idea.  Too many things can happen.  

Let's see take a kill shot at a target the size of a golf ball or a melon.  I'll take the melon any day.  It is the right thing to do.
Link Posted: 3/13/2008 10:16:10 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Call your local DNR or whatever the equivalent is there in IL.  I bet they would issue you a special tag to put that deer out of it's misery.

I may inquire about that.  I'll be out of town though until after Easter.  Those deer are in the yard almost every morning.
Link Posted: 3/13/2008 10:17:27 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/13/2008 10:17:27 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Hey look, it is the "Wild and Crazy Guy" of the deer herd!  

To be honest, that was my second thought.
Link Posted: 3/13/2008 10:18:15 AM EDT
[#22]
Contact your local game warden and explain the situation.

I'll bet he'll either give you permission to put it down, or he will come out and do it.
It shouldn't have to suffer; and its situation won't improve.

I don't mean to preach, but I've taught hunter safety in two different states for over twenty-four years,and I make a large part of my living from the hunting culture.

One of the things I've noticed in recent years is a fairly high incidence of animals which are wounded but not "brought to bag". Not only is that immoral and unethical, but in most states, it is illegal.  If you wound and animal, you have an obligation to track it down and bring it to bag.
End of sermon.
Link Posted: 3/13/2008 10:20:58 AM EDT
[#23]
Poor animal...
Link Posted: 3/13/2008 10:21:44 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hunting is fine. Leaving an animal to roam around suffering because of your actions is not.

How would one go about putting it out of its pain?  

make a fake corn cob by gluing yellow asprin all over an old cob then feed it to the deer?
Link Posted: 3/13/2008 10:23:10 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

How would one go about putting it out of its pain?  

make a fake corn cob by gluing yellow asprin all over an old cob then feed it to the deer?

"Ahh Nuprin!  Little. Yellow.  Different."
Link Posted: 3/13/2008 10:23:29 AM EDT
[#26]
I would just shoot it next time I saw it.
Im sure you could explain yourself in court if it even came to that.
Link Posted: 3/13/2008 10:23:44 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I shot a deer in the head with a 243 a few years back and I hit a little low and forward of what I intended.  I tore the bottom jaw off the deer and the deer took off running.  The deer bled good and I had snow to work with but it still took about 4-hrs to get up on her to put another round in her to put her down for good.

I never thought you could shoot a deer in the head with a rifle before that and have them run off.  I have not tried that shot since and even that time I had the option of poping her in the head or a chest shot but at 25-yards I thought I would save the meat...  

That is exactly why I always yammer on about NOT taking head shots.  Without the snow I guarantee you wouldn't have gotten her.  Bad, bad way to die.  

Yup us boys down south never find a deer without snow
Link Posted: 3/13/2008 10:24:56 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

The OP didn't do it. And as a hunter, I could see how a miss like that could happen. I practice all the time with my life size decoy backstop and impress myself with my accuracy out to 40yds. But, I know damn well that when a real deer is in front of you that it is a different ball game and you are far more likely to miss.
Link Posted: 3/13/2008 10:25:43 AM EDT
[#29]
Thats just pains and simple fucked up
Link Posted: 3/13/2008 10:25:44 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I may inquire about that.  I'll be out of town though until after Easter.  Those deer are in the yard almost every morning.

I'm sure that, give the choice, the deer would rarher live with the pain than being dead.

I'm a hunter, and not against killing deer, just saying that given the choice.....
Link Posted: 3/13/2008 10:26:50 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

I can assure you that the last thing I am going to do is land myself in court over a deer living with an arrow sticking out of it's head.

The sore isn't festering, the deer isn't starving, it is still with the herd, and has been living that way for 6 months.  This isn't like jumping out of a freshly smashed car to put a bullet in the injured deer's head.

It will probably be hunted this fall, and make someone an interesting trophy.
Link Posted: 3/13/2008 10:30:38 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I can assure you that the last thing I am going to do is land myself in court over a deer living with an arrow sticking out of it's head.

The sore isn't festering, the deer isn't starving, it is still with the herd, and has been living that way for 6 months.  This isn't like jumping out of a freshly smashed car to put a bullet in the injured deer's head.

I am with you, this deer had made it through the toughest challange it had to face.  Hey, I want to see if you end up with photos of it with fawns in a couple months
Link Posted: 3/13/2008 10:30:55 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1 to that.  I'd bleach that skull out and stick the arrow back in for a conversation piece.  
Link Posted: 3/13/2008 10:32:15 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

That kind of thinking is so hunters cannot control every happnestance. Kalifornia is the big fail ! go hug a tree will ya
Link Posted: 3/13/2008 10:33:05 AM EDT
[#35]
I wonder if it can hear the local radio station.
Link Posted: 3/13/2008 10:34:03 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 3/13/2008 10:35:21 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I am with you, this deer had made it through the toughest challange it had to face.  Hey, I want to see if you end up with photos of it with fawns in a couple months

That is a very distinct possibility.  The eternal question of whether bucks prefer does with piercings hangs in the balance.
Link Posted: 3/13/2008 10:35:41 AM EDT
[#38]
Well, there's something you don't see every day.
Link Posted: 3/13/2008 10:38:14 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 3/13/2008 10:39:11 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Well, there's something you don't see every day.

I don't know.  I see shit stuck in people's face all the time at the mall.
Link Posted: 3/13/2008 10:40:28 AM EDT
[#41]
Smooth move.
Link Posted: 3/13/2008 10:42:36 AM EDT
[#42]
That poor animal needs to be put down.  That is why I practice for months before I ever go to full draw on an animal.  I also wait until I have an ideal shot.  I learned this after having to track a deer for a mile at night through the Texas brush.
Link Posted: 3/13/2008 10:42:43 AM EDT
[#43]

From one of the cropped pictures it looks like that was one of those 'expanding' broadheads that fly much like a field point and then are supposed to open on impact. Can any bowhunters chime-in on the reliability of that type of head? Is it likely that one failed to open on impact somehow?  
Link Posted: 3/13/2008 10:43:06 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 3/13/2008 10:43:47 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 3/13/2008 10:45:09 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That kind of thinking is so hunters cannot control every happnestance. Kalifornia is the big fail ! go hug a tree will ya

1. I am a hunter.
2. I am responsible and accountable for my actions. That involves recognizing when I fucked up. Be it accidental, the consequences are unfortunate and to deny that an animal was wronged simply because it is an accident is ridiculous.

All I was stating was that (a) the original hunter that shot at it caused an accidental misfortune on the creature and (b) if I saw the animal firsthand I would most definitely put it out of its misery and explain myself in court, if needed.
Link Posted: 3/13/2008 10:45:37 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Trying for a head shot on a deer with a BOW is indescribably stupid.

The numbskull who did it deserves to be whooped.

Could not agree more.
Link Posted: 3/13/2008 10:48:38 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

It took him FOUR HOURS to track her WITH SNOW.  Do you know how long blood will continue to drop from a wounded critter?  Here's a hint:  much less than four hours.  He wouldn't have found her without snow.  Perhaps he can elaborate and prove me right or wrong.    

It would have been very tough to find her without the snow.  She bled pretty good and it never did stop but we were not convinced she would have died from that shot.  I hit her right at the base of the skull where her lower jaw met the base of her scull cap so the juglar vein was right there but I didn't get it...

Like I said, it was the last one I had shot like this and it was certainly close enough that there was never a doubt in my mind that I was making a good shot...  until she didn't drop
Link Posted: 3/13/2008 10:48:44 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Poor animal...

Quoted:
That poor animal needs to be put down.

Link Posted: 3/13/2008 10:50:16 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top