Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/9/2001 7:17:23 AM EDT
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 7:44:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 7:53:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Hey Paul..got as question for ya...I have DSL, running 98 and using IE6...I'm flying around the internet, clicking on this and that...and then I'll go to click on a hyperlink, or anything for that matter and nothing....I get the hourglass...keep clicking...nada. I go to tools, clear out stuff..cookies and junk in my temp file...and it still happens. I close the IE6 browser, re-open and it "usually"..not always, kicks back in. Seems like explorer just dies..this happened also with IE 5.5. Any suggestions?

Hyperless in LA

Link Posted: 11/9/2001 7:57:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 10:22:27 AM EDT
[#4]
You currently get DNS from the ISP, via DHCP.

You can enable DNS, and then put in the DNS servers statically, and see if that helps, but if it is a problem contacting the DNS server, then static or dynamic, the problem still exists....  

Sounds more like an IP stack issue for Win98.  You could try Windows update, and install any pathes/service packs... and update the browser to the latest service pack.

If it was DSL, the MTU setting could be adjusted a little lower than the default of 1500.

Also, I dont know if this will help this specific issue, but Win98 needs it TCP receive window (RWIN) bumped up.

You can download this file:  [url]http://www.dslreports.com/front/tweak/rwin98-l.reg[/url] for WINDOWS 95/98 ONLY!!!

Save it to disk, then execute it.  Reboot.  Makes broadband under Windows 95/98 MUCH smoother.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top