Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/8/2001 9:05:46 AM EDT
Apologies if this has already been posted.
[url]http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,38276,00.html[/url]
Head of Anti-Violence Group Arrested for Hitting Referee
Wednesday, November 07, 2001

Email this Article

SARASOTA, Fla. — The head of an anti-violence group has been arrested for punching a referee during his 7-year-old son's flag football game.

Treavor Harvey, who was coaching his son's team, charged on to the field after complaining to referee Tony Kormansek that the game was getting too rough.

The 270-pound Harvey had to be pulled off the referee during the Saturday incident, police said.

Harvey, 34, a mentor in Sarasota County schools and president of MAD DADS, a group that steers young people away from crime, was arrested on a battery charge.

He was released from jail Saturday on $750 bail. He said Tuesday he regretted the incident.

"That is not supposed to be the way that you channel your anger," Harvey said.

"This is an extreme embarrassment for him," said Harvey's attorney, Derek Byrd. "He just lost control of his emotions."

Harvey resigned from his coaching position, but plans to stay active in the community, Byrd said.

Kormansek, a truck driver who lives in Bradenton, said he wasn't injured, but the punch made his ears ring.

He said Harvey yelled at him several times during the game and was penalized twice for unsportsmanlike conduct.

"He was going crazy," Kormansek said. "I didn't even get the time to spit out that he was ejected. He just came out swinging."

Kormansek could have canceled the game, but decided not to because the winner was scheduled to play for the championship this weekend.

Instead, he took a 20-minute break and penalized the Harvey's Little Apaches 20 yards. The team lost the game to the Little Comanches.
Link Posted: 11/8/2001 9:09:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Instead, he took a 20-minute break and penalized the Harvey's Little Apaches 20 yards. The team lost the game to the Little Comanches.
View Quote

I am APPALLED by this exploitation of American Indian names, clearly meant to be derogatory to those who are STILL the rightful owners of this country, the exploitation of which justifies the attack we suffered on Sept. 11.

How am I doing, Bill????

[rolleyes]

Link Posted: 11/8/2001 9:13:12 AM EDT
[#2]
garandman, you're not taking over for Imbroglio, are you?
Link Posted: 11/8/2001 9:25:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
garandman, you're not taking over for Imbroglio, are you?
View Quote

Nah.

From time to time, I enjoy TRYING to think like a leftist.

It makes me more appreciative of my sound, logical Conservative mind.

Link Posted: 11/8/2001 10:03:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Little Comanches? Little Apaches? This is an assault on all Native American munchkins. I demand an appology to the National Native American Little Peoples Association immediatly!!!
Link Posted: 11/8/2001 10:37:08 AM EDT
[#5]
sweety irony..........gotta love it!
Link Posted: 11/8/2001 12:30:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Hey florida guys go to this guys anti-violence activities and heckle him till he blows up again.  hehehe
[:D]
Link Posted: 11/8/2001 1:59:35 PM EDT
[#7]
http://www.maddadsnational.com/reduction.html

Yep- see the above URL- the MAD DADS are into gun buybacks, too. Gee-whodathunkit?
Link Posted: 11/8/2001 2:33:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/8/2001 4:19:45 PM EDT
[#9]
He'll just turn it into an argument for gun control.
Something like "It's a good thing I don't believe in firearms or I might have shot that poor ref. If it could happen to me, it could happen to anybody."
A lot of stupid people might just buy it.
Link Posted: 11/8/2001 4:24:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top