Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/28/2008 11:01:14 PM EDT
It's pretty much a two horse race now, between McCain and Romney for GOP, and Hillary and Obama for Dems.  Who will be the VP selection, though.  It probably won't be the loser of the two in both parties, since neither "balance" the other.

The strategic choice for GOP would be Condi Rice, since she'd add foreign policy experience to the ticket, and she'd put the Democrats in a pretzel since both Hillary and Obama have played race and sex cards against each other already.  Condi can throw it right back at whoever Dem nominated.  Fred Thompson looks dour and uninspired, and Giuliani is just an one-trick pony that's played out.

As for Dem, maybe Edward, but he reminds me too much of Dan Quayle and would be an odd fit with either one, and might be considered a jinx as he ran as VP on the losing team last time.  Hillary is not one to share the limelight, and Bill Clinton as VP would be treated as a joke.  Perhaps Patrick Kennedy, but only with Obama as Hillary will most likely hold a grudge against Ted Kennedy for endorsing Obama.  Or not.
Link Posted: 1/28/2008 11:03:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Fred for the GOP.

He shores up the right on the ticket.
Link Posted: 1/28/2008 11:05:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Obama will pick an older guy, like Dodd.

Clinton might pick Richardson

McCain might pick FDT (Maybe, who really knows)

Romney might pick the Huck.

Those are the predictions that I took 10 seconds to think up.
Link Posted: 1/28/2008 11:06:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Giuliani with McCain.
Link Posted: 1/28/2008 11:09:34 PM EDT
[#4]
I have to vote in our primary today.

How fucking depressing.
Link Posted: 1/28/2008 11:13:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Clinton will take Obama. She'll lose the black vote without him.

The Republican side? No idea.
Link Posted: 1/28/2008 11:15:26 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Clinton will take Obama.

wow, I don't see that happening
Link Posted: 1/28/2008 11:18:10 PM EDT
[#7]
McCain/Thompson.
Link Posted: 1/28/2008 11:28:32 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Clinton will take Obama.

She'll have to. Without him she'll lose the black vote. Granted, no one else will get it, but when Bill won he got 90% of the black vote. Without it she could very well be in trouble.
Link Posted: 1/28/2008 11:31:20 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Clinton will take Obama.

She'll have to. Without him she'll lose the black vote. Granted, no one else will get it, but when Bill won he got 90% of the black vote. Without it she could very well be in trouble.

I just don't see obama playing step and fetch it for bill and hillary
Link Posted: 1/28/2008 11:44:49 PM EDT
[#10]
It won't be Thompson.

I think I was probably the first person to predict a McCain/Thompson ticket on arfcom almost a year ago and I'm certain it's not going to happen.

If it was being contemplated there would be an endorsement by now, FL is too critical, and too close, not to take advantage of the bump McCain would get from such an endorsement.

I think Romney likes Sanford, the governor of SC. The Gov. of AK would make a good VP for any of the Rs. I don't know if Rice is too damaged by her association with the current administration, probably.

I heard today Obama likes Edwards for AG, so he must have someone else in mind for VP. I do think it's possible the factions will be so entrenched Clinton/Obama have no choice but to team up either way.
Link Posted: 1/29/2008 1:33:14 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
McCain/Thompson.
Link Posted: 1/29/2008 2:01:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Romney will pick Huckabee

Clinton will pick Richardson

McCain and Osbama I have no clue.
Link Posted: 1/29/2008 2:03:50 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Clinton will take Obama.

Nah.  The Ds will get the black vote even if they campaign wearing a white pointy cap.

Clinton will not pick osbama.  There is going to be some bad blood there when it is finished.
Link Posted: 1/29/2008 2:34:21 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Clinton will take Obama.

Nah.  The Ds will get the black vote even if they campaign wearing a white pointy cap.

Clinton will not pick osbama.  There is going to be some bad blood there when it is finished.

You don't know Hillary then. It will be Obama as her VP if she's nominated. Not necessarily so the other way areound. On the GOP side if it's McCain I say he'll give the nod to Huckabee. Shores up the Evangelical crowd and McCain thinks Huckabee appeases GOP Conservatives.
Link Posted: 1/29/2008 2:53:50 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Clinton will take Obama.

You don't know Hillary then. It will be Obama as her VP if she's nominated. Not necessarily so the other way areound. On the GOP side if it's McCain I say he'll give the nod to Huckabee. Shores up the Evangelical crowd and McCain thinks Huckabee appeases GOP Conservatives.

I think I understand the beast quite well.  I disagree.

And McCain is pyscho.  I wouldn't put it past him to try to pick a "moderate" democrap.
Link Posted: 1/29/2008 3:56:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Way too soon to tell. Often it's somebody you've never expected.
Link Posted: 1/29/2008 3:57:51 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Clinton will take Obama. She'll lose the black vote without him . . .

Nope. Ain't going to happen. She might choose a black, but it won't be Obama.
Link Posted: 1/29/2008 4:02:02 AM EDT
[#18]
Martin O'Malley, Governor of Maryland, is supposed to be the golden boy for the Hillary camp.
Link Posted: 1/29/2008 4:15:14 AM EDT
[#19]
There is zero chance of a Clinton/Obama or Obama/Clinton ticket.

They have slung too much mud at each other to ever team up.  Anything disparaging that one has ever said about or to the other will be used as ammunition against them both.  Plus, everyone will know their newfound "friendship" would be an act.

Another thing is that Democrats haven't won in a long time without a Southerner on the ticket.

The last time was Roosevelt/Wallace in the 30s.  And that was an incumbent President who was elected originally with a Southern VP.  You've got to go back to Woodrow Wilson for the next one.
Link Posted: 1/29/2008 4:24:12 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Fred for the GOP.

That was my thought too - especially if McCain wins the nomination as they are reportedly good friends.

-K
Link Posted: 1/29/2008 4:25:19 AM EDT
[#21]
I'd love to see Romney pick Ron Paul.
Link Posted: 1/29/2008 4:26:18 AM EDT
[#22]
And of course we all know who Huck would pick.........

CHUCK NORRIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cuz I think we all know Chuck would give the DNC a round house kick to their head...
Link Posted: 1/29/2008 4:26:58 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Fred for the GOP.  He shores up the right on the ticket.

That was my thought too - especially if McCain wins the nomination as they are reportedly good friends.

If it wasn't for the fact that McCain needs a younger VP to offset his age, I would agree.  It's still possible, but they risk getting called the "Old Fart" ticket.
Link Posted: 1/29/2008 4:30:20 AM EDT
[#24]
Typically the VP is used to bring in a set of demographics that the Pres candidate can't get by himself.
Link Posted: 1/29/2008 6:07:06 AM EDT
[#25]
Aww shit, I know I'm gonna get flamed for this one . . .

If McCain wins the nomination, look for him to give Joe Lieberman some major consideration for the VP slot.

A lot of people in this country (and ARFCOM is NOT representative of the US electorate) is non-partisan in nature.  Every candidate is talking change and ways to reach across the aisle to the other party.  Lieberman is a centrist, who bucked his own party and had to run as an independent.

He's also a close friend of McCain, has endorsed him and campaigns for him.

It may not be him, but he'll at least get a close look.

Also, every major republican candidate has floated his name as a potential cabinet secretary.
Link Posted: 1/29/2008 7:13:48 AM EDT
[#26]
McCain/Lieberman

Huckabee/Thompson

Romney/Trent Lott
Link Posted: 1/29/2008 7:35:19 AM EDT
[#27]
If Obama gets the nod, I will not be surprised to see Tom Daschle as his running mate.
Link Posted: 1/29/2008 7:39:42 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
If Obama gets the nod, I will not be surprised to see Tom Daschle as his running mate.

There's a name I haven't heard in a while...
Link Posted: 1/29/2008 7:48:41 AM EDT
[#29]
It doesn't have to be someone who has run in the primaries.

I'd love to see JC Watts as the VP candidate.

Perhaps McCain/Watts or Romney/Watts.  Such a solid conservative as the running mate would make a RINO-ish presidential candidate a little more palatable.
Link Posted: 1/29/2008 7:55:28 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

There's a name I haven't heard in a while...

Yep ! Tom Daschle is still a viable and lethal member of the Democratic party, though he is pretty much the driving force behind Obama's campaign, he remains under the radar. I fear him more than I fear Obama or Hillary.
Link Posted: 1/29/2008 7:57:37 AM EDT
[#31]
Clinton/Biden

Link Posted: 1/29/2008 7:58:35 AM EDT
[#32]
I don't know who the Rep. nominee would pick, but I'd be shocked if it was Condi Rice or anyone else affiliated with Bush.  Such a selection would give the Dems too much ammunition to argue that electing that ticket would just be a continuation of the last 8 years.  

Although I'd love to see JC Watts as a VP pick, I'd worry about how that would be perceived if Obama was the Dem's nominee.  I think it'd look like the Rep.'s were desperately pandering to the black voters.  
Link Posted: 1/29/2008 7:59:31 AM EDT
[#33]
If it is Ron Paul he has mentioned Andrew Napolitano and Walter Williams.
Link Posted: 1/29/2008 8:03:22 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
If it is Ron Paul he has mentioned Andrew Napolitano and Walter Williams.

hmmm

I guess I'd better figure out who my running mate will be.

you know.....just in case.
Link Posted: 1/29/2008 8:21:07 AM EDT
[#35]
Obama will choose Al Sharpton, that way no one will try to shoot him.

Too early to talk about VP's, especially when we don't know the nominees.
Link Posted: 1/29/2008 8:27:24 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Fred for the GOP.

I hope you are correct.
Link Posted: 1/29/2008 8:29:34 AM EDT
[#37]
Gov Kathleen Sebelius of Kansas is definitely being considered, else she probably wouldn't have been the rebuttal for the State of the Union speech by the Dimocrats last night.
Link Posted: 1/29/2008 8:42:32 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 1/29/2008 9:06:42 AM EDT
[#39]
I gotta vote today and I hate all these shitty bastards!!!

What the fuck am I supposed to do?
Link Posted: 1/29/2008 9:08:37 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Hell, no. Never happen.
Link Posted: 1/29/2008 9:09:04 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hell, no. Never happen.

Agreed.
Link Posted: 1/29/2008 9:10:29 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Clinton will take Obama. She'll lose the black vote without him.

I think she'll lose it (or better yet, HAS lost it) already.

The fact is, if she wins the nomination, blacks will freak, especially in light of Bill's antics. If she picks Obama, she will be seen as a panderer, and that won't sit well with many blacks or moderates.

This, of course, assumes brains among those voting for the Dems.
Link Posted: 1/29/2008 9:12:17 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Giuliani with McCain.

Sadly, I can see that.

I'm expecting McCain/Huckabee... but who knows.

Quoted:

Quoted:
Clinton will take Obama.

That would have been the smart choice for them... but they're both too arrogant to work together. Hillary's mud slinging has pretty much closed the door on that possibility. Thanks God the Dems are so polar and divided in this race for the POTUS... it gives a small ray of hope that they might just fuck it all up.
Link Posted: 1/29/2008 9:12:57 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
I'd love to see JC Watts as the VP candidate.

Perhaps McCain/Watts or Romney/Watts.  Such a solid conservative as the running mate would make a RINO-ish presidential candidate a little more palatable.

AMEN!

I was just thinking of that last night. Watts would be an AWESOME pick!
Link Posted: 1/29/2008 9:13:38 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Clinton/Biden

CHRIST, what a nightmare!
Link Posted: 1/29/2008 9:15:49 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
I don't know who the Rep. nominee would pick, but I'd be shocked if it was Condi Rice or anyone else affiliated with Bush.

so true (as much as i'd love to see her up there)! what about colin powell? he's a soft mushy republican which will appeal to those in the center and he's black which will appeal to independents and centrist democrats who may see hillary/obama as too far to the loony left.
Link Posted: 1/29/2008 9:40:30 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
what about colin powell?

Now there's a good choice.  He can disengage the ticket from the current administration in general and war in Iraq in particular, while still be strong on security issues.  Plus he will make Obama look like a little kid.
Link Posted: 1/29/2008 9:44:31 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:
what about colin powell?

Now there's a good choice.  He can disengage the ticket from the current administration in general and war in Iraq in particular, while still be strong on security issues.  

How do you figure?

He's brought up by the moonbats as having lied for Bush to the UN.

Besides, don't we have ENOUGH RINO running in this election?
Link Posted: 1/29/2008 9:44:34 AM EDT
[#49]
Republicans can't pick a black running mate because they'll get slammed for picking them just on the basis of race to make up for Osama.

I wouldn't be surprised at all by a Clinton/Obama ticket. They both crave power enough to sell their souls for it. They would have no problem eating shit and eating crow to make it happen.

They could sell it as a great coming together for the good of the country. "Hey look, we put our differences aside to serve you!"

Link Posted: 1/29/2008 9:47:32 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
I wouldn't be surprised at all by a Clinton/Obama ticket. They both crave power enough to sell their souls for it. They would have no problem eating shit and eating crow to make it happen.

I used to think that, but I believe you underestimate how much they hate each other.

FWIW, Fred is holding out for a Cabinet position (hence no endorsement for any specific candidate).
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top