Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/2/2001 11:49:28 AM EDT
I was sittin around earlier today with nothin better to do and thought of this. They sell all these different scents of oils to heat up that are supposed to enhance your mood desirably, well why in the hell dont they make one that smells like gun solvent or something, that would make my mood change to a more positive one.....lol. just a thought.

[stick]
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 11:53:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Just splash on a little Hoppe's No.9 after shaving. You'll be fine.
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 12:00:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Aromatherapy is pure bunkum.  Here's my proof:

Back in the early 1970s, when I started shaving, there was a marketing trend to put different scents in shaving cream.  It fizzled out quickly because people quickly develop an aversion to any stong scent that they encounter every day, especially out of its normal context.

That happened to me.  I bought ONE can of coconut scented Gilette Foamy shaving cream.  I ended up getting so sick of smelling sickly sweet artificial coconut every morning that I used other shaving cream instead, and ended up throwing away the coconut stuff because I was afraid the can was going to rust through and burst.  As it was I couldn't stand coconuts in my food for several years.  Imagine how bad it would have been had that can blown up in my bathroom cabinet!
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 12:10:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Kid: it was a joke man. I don't believe smellin a heated up oil that smells like jasmine or whatever it may be is going to make me feel like doing anything, but if it smells like gun solvent which i'm sure 99.99999% of us here enjoy the smell of, it will just make us go grab a gun and let it know how much we care......lol
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 12:17:23 PM EDT
[#4]
As it was I couldn't stand coconuts in my food for several years.
View Quote

So just smelling something repeatedly physically changed something about you for years to come?  You're right...aromatherapy must be  bs....couldn't have any effect on you......
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 12:20:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Aromatherapy ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY WORKS and I get proof of it every night when I step out into my garage, sit down in my recliner, turn on the little TV and light up a J&R Tobacco Delicado panatella in a natural wrapper. I immediately feel better and it works EVERY time.
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 1:04:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Crosshairs:  Yes, I undersood your post to be humorous.  It just got me thinking, which is probably a bad idea on a Friday.  No oil is going to make anyone feel like doing something positive, that's for sure.  Just look at what hash oil and opium do to people.

I wasn't saying aromas have no effect - Of course they do, like any chemical you expose your body to repeatedly:  Habituation, aversion, possibly allergic reactions, etc.  They just don't have the MAGICAL effects attributed to them by the quacks who promote "aromatherapy".

I have a particular distaste for patchoulli oil.  That and the music of Al Stewart remind me of a b1tch who was my girlfriend for a couple of years back in the '70s.  I also remember the perfume worn by a cranky mean old bat of a 6th grade teacher I had in Alamogordo, NM.  It's that "old lady" smell.  And that HORRIBLE strawberry stuff some girls wore in about 1968.  Now that was enough to put anyone off of any kind of food.

Smells carry too much baggage.  I don't know how animals like dogs can stand it.  Supposedly stuff that turns our stomachs is usually just another smell to a dog.
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 4:55:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 5:32:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Did you say ammotherapy?.........[argue]
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 5:45:03 PM EDT
[#9]
I usually impose aromatherapy on innocents (aren't they all?) at Wal-Mart.

Just love watching them round that corner!

Poof!...........right into an instant, and free, aromatherapy session.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top