Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/16/2008 4:53:14 AM EDT
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/7191200.stm

Militants overrun Pakistan fort

Hundreds of militants have overrun a paramilitary fort in north-west Pakistan, killing or kidnapping many troops, the military says.

At least eight soldiers died in the raid and 15 escaped, the army says. The whereabouts of another 25 are unknown. Some reports put the death toll higher.

South Waziristan is a known stronghold of pro-Taleban and al-Qaeda militants.

The region has been at the centre of fighting between the army and the militants in recent months.

Gunfire

"About 200 militants charged the fort from four sides," army spokesman Maj Gen Athar Abbas said.

"They broke through the fort's wall with rockets."

Local officials and other reports suggest the number of militants may have been nearer to 1,000.

Observers say this is the first time that militants have captured a fort in Pakistan.

The army says that up to 40 attackers were killed in the fighting, something the tribal fighters deny. There is no independent confirmation of this figure.

Officials said troops at the fort came under rocket and automatic weapons attack from militants on Tuesday night.

Soldiers returned fire and the battle went on until early on Wednesday morning. People in the Sararogha area told the BBC Urdu service the exchange of fire went on for four hours.

They said the militants entered the remote military outpost and started shifting weapons and troops they had captured out of the fort.

It is unclear whether the militants are still inside the fort.

Correspondents say that Sararogha Fort dates back to the British colonial period.

It is one of several such posts located along South Waziristan's mountainous border with Afghanistan.

Military personnel at the base monitor and patrol the frontier which it is claimed is used by militants to transport weapons into Afghanistan.

Militant leader

Correspondents say the Sararogha area is a stronghold of pro-Taleban militant leader Baitullah Mehsud.

He is accused by the government of being behind the assassination of opposition leader Benazir Bhutto in Rawalpindi on 27 December and a wave of other bombings in recent months.

Meanwhile, the political administration of South Waziristan agency, based in neighbouring North West Frontier Province, has called a council of the Mehsud tribe to try to resolve the issue.

The BBC's Barbara Plett in Islamabad says that in recent weeks there has been an increase in skirmishes on Mehsud tribal lands.

Sources say the government is considering an economic blockade of the tribe.

Link Posted: 1/16/2008 4:54:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Fort Apache...the Hindu Kush.
Link Posted: 1/16/2008 5:12:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Not good.
Link Posted: 1/16/2008 5:18:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Nice The Pakis tell us to stay the f@#k out, yet it looks like they're getting their ass handed to them little by little.
Link Posted: 1/16/2008 5:22:06 AM EDT
[#4]
One day, they are gonna have to suck it up and invade Waziristan and put an end to this.......only the Pakis lack the balls to do it  
Link Posted: 1/16/2008 5:22:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Apparently, they don't have fire support for their outposts. You can't leave a static position in the middle of Indian country and expect it to hold out without artillery and air support.
Link Posted: 1/16/2008 5:26:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Really its no big deal.  Paki army will hit it with helo airstrikes, and  then you will see all over the news some villager saying it was US helicotpers that flatened the place..........
Link Posted: 1/16/2008 5:32:27 AM EDT
[#7]

Sources say the government is considering an economic blockade of the tribe.

That'll fix the problem.
Link Posted: 1/16/2008 11:54:42 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Could you clarify what you mean?  I really don't know what your talking about.  I googled and am still a bit confused.
Link Posted: 1/16/2008 11:56:29 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Could you clarify what you mean?  I really don't know what your talking about.  I googled and am still a bit confused.

It was a referance to the movie Fort Apache the Bronx...IMDB it
Link Posted: 1/16/2008 11:58:37 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It was a referance to the movie Fort Apache the Bronx...IMDB it

That's what I get for not watching westerns.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/16/2008 12:00:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/16/2008 12:01:12 PM EDT
[#12]

One day, they are gonna have to suck it up and invade Waziristan and put an end to this.......only the Pakis lack the balls to do it

It isn't a matter of just zippity-do-daaaing into the FATA to "crush this rebellion in one, swift blow."

The FATA hasn't been ruled from the outside since Alexander the Great.  The British tried, got their asses handed to them, and struck a deal.

The deal was that the Pashtuns pretended to be ruled by the British, and the British pretended to rule the Pashtuns.  The side deal was, if the Russians came, the Pashtuns had to put the same shellacking they put on the British on the Russians.

The Pakis are trying to come to some way to spank the Pustuns down without setting the whole country on fire, or just end up pushing the problem in Afghanistan, and watch it burn black into the FATA.

Its a hell of problem set, and don't envy the Pakis one bit.
Link Posted: 1/16/2008 12:02:35 PM EDT
[#13]
I hope they have a better guard on their nukes.  
Link Posted: 1/16/2008 12:06:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Pakistan next country in war on terror. Bets anybody?
Link Posted: 1/16/2008 12:09:36 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Not good.

Wait till a few hundred are holding a celebration there, and call in some fire.

On their own soldiers?  Many were kidnapped, according to the article.
Link Posted: 1/16/2008 12:11:45 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I hope they have a better guard on their nukes.  

I hope the guards are really the "good guys", whatever that means.
Link Posted: 1/16/2008 12:23:33 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Pakistan next country in war on terror. Bets anybody?
No bet.

I keep thinking San Fran declares itself an independent country, Unk Sam saying “Good Riddance”, the networks and DUh  celebrate, the RoP take it over, Bin Laden comes out of hiding and becomes San Fran’s next mayor, the gay community becomes straight overnight as they’re executed for being “Unclean”, etc., The MSM don’t say a word as they’re all rounded up as spies and are either shot or have their necks cut, suicidal bombers - usually ex-gays which managed to stay alive after their love interest has died – head for Vegas, etc., and are usually cut down as they hit the CA/NV border.

After that, San Fran becomes calm as both Chuck Norris and 82nd parachute in and restore peace, quiet and Perma Ban Every Last (fill in your own specie).

Link Posted: 1/16/2008 12:27:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top