Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/1/2001 5:21:24 AM EDT
In light of oneshot1kill's fun and games with the police, I thought I'd share what I learned from a similar experience with law enforcement:

[b][red]Ask for an attorney right away.[/red][/b]
As soon as they ask you for anything other than your name, ask for an attorney. If you don't know or have an attorney, [b]especially if you carry concealed[/b], but even if you don't, ask a friend or family member if they can recommend one. Talk to him/her and get their business card to carry in your wallet.

When your AR-15 has an evidence tag on it is no time to cooperate with law enforcement, as they are only looking for an edge to fu
I've been in that situation where you think, "We're all reasonable men. If I tell them what was really going on, they'll see that I'm a good guy and this will all be cleared up."

Don't buy it.

Ask to call your attorney. Answer any questions with "Is my attorney here yet?"

I'm as pro-LEO as the next guy, and I would and have cooperated in the past, but when it's your ass in the hotseat with the handcuffs cranked down and your fingers turning blue is not the time to assist in the effort to hammer your ass.
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 5:33:29 AM EDT
[#1]
This is the best advice and I know it was offered in the thread referanced. To add to this, many years ago my ex and I were having an argument. It got heated and we were yelling. Thats all. The police were called (tennents upstairs) and filed a report that indicated possible domestic violence against my wife. This was of course BS, but none the less starting the next day both my wife and I were getting calls from the detective with the local yocal station. They kept wanting us to just come down and answer a few questions. Both of us kept referring them to my attorney. Needless to say this never got any further then a bogus report but they were trying to coerce my wife to coming in and filing charges. Even after referring to the lawyer they kept calling until my attorney straightened their asses out with the harrassment they were doing to us. At first we thought seems innocent enough its a misunderstanding maybe we should go down and try to explain it was only a verbal argument that got loud. Decided to call the attorney first. Good thing. I was told they would most likely have split us up, and played hard on my wife trying to get her to lie about the incident. Then would have came to me and lied by saying she admitted to abuse or something trying to get me to admit to something that never happened. Not all, but alot of LEO can be sneaky liars be careful out there!
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 5:36:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Never trust the po-po.
c-rock
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 5:39:03 AM EDT
[#3]
...and I'll say it again:

"Am I under arrest?"

Words to remember.
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 5:41:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Maybe they should airdrop leaflets by the thousands showing them as our friends.

Propaganda is the key.  Just ask Goebbels.
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 5:46:45 AM EDT
[#5]
In view of my positive relationship with law enforcement, it's still my observation LE are the second largest group of liars in any courtroom.  They know this and it's why I'll never be chosen for criminal jury duty.
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 7:35:59 AM EDT
[#6]
But but but but...they're JUST DOING THEIR JOB!!
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 7:39:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

"Am I under arrest?"

Words to remember.
View Quote

Word to the wise: if you're wearing handcuffs, you're either under arrest or having kinky sex.

Either way, you're f#$%ed.
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 7:40:39 AM EDT
[#8]
They're not JUST DOING THEIR JOB if he wasnt doing anything illegal to start with. When is it illegal to have an unloaded weopon in your trunk?

BKVic
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 7:42:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
In light of oneshot1kill's fun and games with the police, I thought I'd share what I learned from a similar experience with law enforcement:

[b][red]Ask for an attorney right away.[/red][/b]
As soon as they ask you for anything other than your name, ask for an attorney. If you don't know or have an attorney, [b]especially if you carry concealed[/b], but even if you don't, ask a friend or family member if they can recommend one. Talk to him/her and get their business card to carry in your wallet.

When your AR-15 has an evidence tag on it is no time to cooperate with law enforcement, as they are only looking for an edge to fu
I've been in that situation where you think, "We're all reasonable men. If I tell them what was really going on, they'll see that I'm a good guy and this will all be cleared up."

Don't buy it.

Ask to call your attorney. Answer any questions with "Is my attorney here yet?"

I'm as pro-LEO as the next guy, and I would and have cooperated in the past, but when it's your ass in the hotseat with the handcuffs cranked down and your fingers turning blue is not the time to assist in the effort to hammer your ass.
View Quote

BTT, good advice.

I've had LEO's I know put the screws to me, when I was just supposed to "help them with something." By the end of the conversation, they were trying to blame me for something I wasn't even involved it.
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 7:22:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Words to live [b]FREE[/b] by.
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 7:39:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Excellent advice Jarhead_22!

It's a given that career criminals could probably give lectures on criminal procedure at law schools. They never say anything! They've probably heard the Miranda warning given more times than an instructor at a police academy.

You can sense when an ordinary traffic stop is beginning to 'get ugly.' The moment some 'off the wall' question or comment is made to you, it's time to start the pre-programmed responses.

Eric The(CanYouSearchMyVehicle?AsSoonAsYouCanObtainASearchWarrantFromADisinterestedMagistrateBasedUponDemonstrableProbableCause,YouMay)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 7:43:19 AM EDT
[#12]
I can't wait to see the look on there faces when they hear that I'm represented by EricTheHun! [:D]
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 7:47:42 AM EDT
[#13]
If anyone has any questions about this, re-read "Unintended Consequences." There's a story in there about a gentleman of Sicilian ancestry being gunned down while marching in a [b]parade[/b] by four or five large gentlemen who were also of Sicilian ancestry.

When brought in by police, the four or five large gentlemen of Sicilian ancestry [b]never once opened their mouths[/b] and had to be released for lack of evidence.
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 7:55:13 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm thinking its a good idea to go ahead and RIGHT NOW find a good pro-RKBA attorney.

Definitely for concealed carry, but also just for transporting my guns to the range.

Get a good attorney NOW, BEFORE trouble arives.

My $0.02.

Link Posted: 11/9/2001 11:05:20 AM EDT
[#15]
rule #1: ask to call your lawyer
rule #2: [b]SHUT UP![/b]
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 11:18:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
rule #1: ask to call your lawyer
rule #2: [b]SHUT UP![/b]
View Quote

There it is, distilled to its essence.
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 11:31:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

"Am I under arrest?"

View Quote

No you are only being detained for investigation of possible....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top