Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/30/2001 7:38:34 AM EDT
In what appears to be the dumbest shit to roll down the pipe in years it seems these excellent examples of government efficiency are here to stay. Is it just me or does it sound incredibly stupid to close one lane of traffic to the majority of vehicles during peak traffic hours ?

Oh and by the way, yes I did just get a ticket for driving in the communist lane.[:(!]

[marines]
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 7:52:17 AM EDT
[#1]
I love commuter lanes. [:D]

Link Posted: 10/30/2001 8:02:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 8:22:50 AM EDT
[#3]
In New Jersey, the State eliminated all HOV lanes about two years ago.  I think the NJ Supreme Court found some constitutional issue with highway lanes that are restricted to cars with two or more people.

It's a strange and sad State (and state) I live in.
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 8:26:30 AM EDT
[#4]
DC has em.  HOV - High Occupancy Vehicle.  3+ people on most and some have 2+ people restrictions.  

Another thing is toll roads.  You pay taxes and have roads built by your taxes and then you can't even drive on them unless you pay more money.  [-!-!-]
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 8:30:53 AM EDT
[#5]
the best are the guys who drive alone, but put an inflatable doll in the passenger seat to meet the "two occupants" requirement! it actually works, seatbelts and all!!!
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 8:33:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Toll roads with bad placement of the booths, ridiculous fees and too dang many of 'em tick me off.  Here in Tollachusettes we already have a nasty income tax, high property tax, excise tax on vehicles, high liquor tax, and a sales tax.  Yet the state still sees fit to charge tolls on the Mass Pike (which is paid for) and numerous entrances into Boston, most of which are used by state residents not out-of-towners.

By comparison, NH's tolls don't bother me a bit.  They usually have one booth per road, the state has no income tax, and no sales tax.  The two major roads (93 and 95) carry a large number of visitors to the state.
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 8:43:42 AM EDT
[#7]
I drove in those in Cali, but not in my hometown, no commuter lane, they have enough idiots.

I don't know, here you just get people that think it is ok to pull out in front of you and not get up to speed, hence my tires are going bald and I think my rotors are grooved.  Dumba$$es.  Anybody else installing an airhorn just to remind the guy that he pulled out in front of a 3/4 ton truck doing the speed limit +5 and didn't even try and accelerate?

Ice
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 8:45:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
In what appears to be the dumbest shit to roll down the pipe in years it seems these excellent examples of government efficiency are here to stay. Is it just me or does it sound incredibly stupid to close one lane of traffic to the majority of vehicles during peak traffic hours ?

Oh and by the way, yes I did just get a ticket for driving in the communist lane.[:(!]

[marines]
View Quote

Well, the point is to get more ppl carpooling, then the freeway wouldn't be so crowded.  Seems kinda silly to use a 4000lb vehicle with 5 seats to transport 1 person in the middle of a traffic jam.  Of course, I do the same thing :) heh.  *BUT* when it's nice I use the motorcycle... ya baby, 40 mpg plus 0-60 in 2.5 sec.  You CAN have it all (plus you get to use the HOV lane!!)
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 9:08:45 AM EDT
[#9]
One lane on Interstate 10 in Louisiana (both East and West Bound) stays closed. The lane that is not closed doesn't move any traffic. There is also no warning until you hit the backed up traffic, thereby giving you no opportunity to get off and get on the "Old 90 Highway".
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 9:12:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Dang... what's an HOV?  What's a commuter lane?  What's a Toll way?  

Ain't got none of that CRAP here in Austin... but we got PRENTY of traffic.  
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 9:23:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Here in PRK the law doesn't permit any existing lane to be converted to an HOV lane, only newly constructed lanes can have that status.  I ride a motorcycle to work, mainly so I can take the HOV lane.
I think electric cars can drive in the HOV lane too.  Also I see this one guy with one of those Corbin tricycle things that drives in the HOV lane all the time.
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 9:26:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top