Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/30/2001 5:24:13 AM EDT
A couple of weeks ago you folks gave me advice on which model to get--most of you preferred the Crown Vic.  I like it a lot too, but unfortunately my wife likes the Lesabre better so I am trying to buy one.  I have never bought a new car before and I don't know how to get a good deal.  I am trying to get a bottom-line model with no options (the basic car comes with everything you ever need).  I am also trying to get a 2001 because there is such a good financing deal right now--60 months, 0 interest.  I realize this reduces my bargaining power versus showing up with cash.  Right now the salesmen I have spoken to are jerking me around, trying to get me to pay MSRP, and in one case they appear to have added a luxury package onto the car after advertizing it at a lower price to jack up the price.  I have checked out Edmunds and Kelly Blue Book and it looks like a "fair market value" on these vehicles is about $23,000.  I also really cannot afford anything over 23K, and 22K would be much more affordable.  I have a feeling once the free financing ends they are going to be struggling to sell these cars.

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 5:39:06 AM EDT
[#1]
One problem you will have is that there are hardly any base model cars to be had. Most are built as package deals. They will almost all have "luxury" items. How far are you willing to travel to get this car? My Fraternity brother owns a dealership in Commerce Ga. I can call him for you if you want me to. Just need to have the info to give him.
Scott
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 5:40:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Just get the invoice cost on paper, and say I will pay only $1 over invoice.  Hold your ground.  
This takes all day, visit 5 different shops, get 5 different quotes on paper, then show them what you can get it for down the street. Takes a couple of hours to do, but saving $1K is worth it.  Takes a week to make 1K, less to spend it.
c-rock
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 5:53:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the advice guys.  Gun-fan I was hoping to get a car around the DC area, hopefully not have to travel more than 100 miles.  I have three Buick dealers near me but one has no 2001 models and the other two are jerking me around.

Thanks,

GunLvr
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 5:53:24 AM EDT
[#4]
When I bought my jeep I took along Edmunds and KBB's invoice copy.  Said this is the cost at invoice and this is all I will pay.  They bawked and I started walking out.  They caught me and I ended up getting my 99tj for invoice.

Remember, they don't pay invoice, they pay 2-3% lower.

Link Posted: 10/30/2001 6:28:21 AM EDT
[#5]
I've got a really nice 2001 Sable LS for sale... 6 months old, 9000 miles... pw, pl, c/t, cd, abs, etc...  $10000.  In FL.  Email me for details if interested.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top