Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/29/2001 7:32:04 AM EDT
Hi , I am in the market for a small , 1000 - 2000 watt portable generator. I am aware of the Honda , Generac , Yamaha , & Mitsubishi brands. Does anyone know of any other quailty brands that I have missed ?  Does anyone have any personal knowledge as to which one is the "best" for the money ? I am told that the Honda is the best overall but it is also hundreds of dollars more then the others. Is the Honda really worth the extra $$ ?  I already have a Generac Generator for my home but need a small one for camping and maybe "bugout" . Thanks for all help.
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 8:03:57 AM EDT
[#1]
The Hondas ARE good, but when there`s a problem.they are basically throw-aways.....look at the local supply houses or home depot places and get the component type...where you will have some useable pieces when one component quits...........save $ also.....check out...northern hydraulics...ww graingers.....local industrial houses......
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 12:31:57 PM EDT
[#2]
btt ^^
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 2:22:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 2:58:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Being a Californian, I was all set to buy a generator last Spring as I did not want to suffer through extended outages. As we can all see, it didn't happen that way (yet), but it may occur due to terrorist activity.

I had decided on the Generac 4000XL (model 9777-2) for:
Long running time (13 hours)
2 year warranty
OHV engine (relatively quiet and reliable)
Spin on pleated oil filter unit (some have only a screen filter)

While larger than your parameters, it is not an overly large unit, and you would be surprised at how little a 1000 watt unit can power. Forget a circular saw or a fridge.

Can be had at Lowes for under $700, last I checked.

Just my .02 worth.

(edited for relevance)
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 3:32:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 4:15:14 PM EDT
[#6]
HONDA!!!!!  We have a 1500 watt model that's 20 years old, never done anything to it except change the oil and the spark plug occasionally.  I have a friend with a Coleman 4000 watt we work on it every time it comes out.  My Uncle got a great deal from Northern Tool and Supply on a 5000 watt Honda back in the spring, I think he only gave around $650 for it.
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 6:01:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Madkiwi , I have a Generac 4000XL (2) that I use around the house during power outages. I love this model for this type use. Starts first pull , super quiet , many hours per tank full. The only thing I find wrong is if I was buying over again I would get a 6000 - 7000 watt model for home use. You can do so much more with the extra watts. I need a smaller generator to take camping and tailgating. This is why I in the market for one in the 1000- 2000 watt range.
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 6:35:46 PM EDT
[#8]
For a compact unit, Honda is the best, but you have to have the right budget to support the purchase.  A few years ago I picked up a Homlite 5000 watt model for under $600 (w/cart) and it's a real work horse, but not quiet at all.  It needs to set a good distance away from where you are if you want to keep your hearing, but it powers all of my major appliances and I didn't pay a fortune for the capacity either.  It can be repaired using common lawn mower parts, so getting replacements doesn't take a shipment from Japan.
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 6:36:57 PM EDT
[#9]
For a compact unit, Honda is the best, but you have to have the right budget to support the purchase.  A few years ago I picked up a Homelite 5000 watt model for under $600 (w/cart) and it's a real work horse, but not quiet at all.  It needs to set a good distance away from where you are if you want to keep your hearing, but it powers all of my major appliances and I didn't pay a fortune for the capacity either.  It can be repaired using common lawn mower parts, so getting replacements doesn't take a shipment from Japan.
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 7:02:41 PM EDT
[#10]
The OHV Hondas tend to have excellent engine life — many thousands of hours before a major overhaul is required. This contrasts with the low-end Briggs and Tecumseh engines found on the cheapest generators that only last a few hundred hours. Unless you're only planning on running it for just a few hours every year, the Honda is probably well worth the extra money.

Generac also uses a nice Nagano(sp?) OHV engine  in some models that has pressurized lubrication (and a spin-on oil filter on some larger models). Also, some brands are now installing a Japanese-made Briggs-branded OHV engine that seems to be pretty high quality. Robyn engines (made by Fuji Heavy Industries) also have a good reputation among commercial users.

One other consideration is that some generators split the total power output between two electrical outlets — You can't pull the generator's full rated power by plugging into just one.
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 8:47:41 PM EDT
[#11]
I own a Honda, unit has been working since 1984 with no problems. Had a friend who bought a Generac from Nothern, it would not run his gas furnace as there was too much trash on the AC line output, and it would not let the micro processor function to turn on the furnace. He took it back and bought a Honda-it worked without a flaw.  AMOS
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top