Posted: 12/17/2007 8:36:37 AM EDT
Some darwin candidates in this video.

www.liveleak.com/view?i=2124242250
Link Posted: 12/17/2007 8:38:28 AM EDT
[#1]
What a dumbass....the lady bailed out.
Link Posted: 12/17/2007 8:39:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Whats with the rasta jumping out of his car?
Link Posted: 12/17/2007 8:39:59 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Some darwin candidates in this video.

www.liveleak.com/view?i=2124242250

EJECT!!

WAIT NOOOO DON'T EJECT!!!
Link Posted: 12/17/2007 8:43:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Whats all that white stuff?
Link Posted: 12/17/2007 8:43:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Why the hell would she jump out?  That was funny shit.
Link Posted: 12/17/2007 8:44:41 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Why the hell would she jump out?  That was funny shit.

The car was going to explode just like in the movies!!!!
Link Posted: 12/17/2007 8:46:07 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Smartass.

LOL at teh idiots jumping out!  
Link Posted: 12/17/2007 8:46:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Yeah ejecting was the worst thing to do.  Dumb asses could have been run over.
Link Posted: 12/17/2007 8:47:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Yep best thing to do is to lock up the brakes.
Link Posted: 12/17/2007 8:48:25 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Smartass.

Yup, my ass has a 140IQ. I tested it on the throne this morning.
Link Posted: 12/17/2007 8:48:46 AM EDT
[#11]
I have to wonder, what kind of person stands there and films 10 cars crashing, one right after another, and make no attempt to go up the hill to warn people.
Link Posted: 12/17/2007 8:50:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Why are they idiots?  Richard Feynman couldn't have stopped those cars.
Link Posted: 12/17/2007 8:50:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Try stupid New Englanders driving in snow.
Link Posted: 12/17/2007 8:51:59 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Ok the fact that they are driving on ice with no chains ought to tell you something.
Link Posted: 12/17/2007 8:56:07 AM EDT
[#15]
god i love watching those jackasses JUMP OUT OF THEIR CAR!  great way to get killed there...

Link Posted: 12/17/2007 8:56:36 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ok the fact that they are driving on ice with no chains ought to tell you something.

Chains are illegal in many states, including mine.

I will give you that they were driving way too fast for the conditions.
Driving on ice is like parking a boat, you have to plan your moves far in advance.
Link Posted: 12/17/2007 8:57:35 AM EDT
[#17]
lol.  BAIL OUT!!!  
Link Posted: 12/17/2007 8:59:02 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

That name means nothing to 99% of the people here.
Link Posted: 12/17/2007 8:59:42 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Watched too many movies and thought the car would explode on impact.

What gets me, is that every driver has simply locked up thier brakes and just skids right on in. No one attempts to release brakes and simply steer out of danger in this vid. Maybe this is why we have so many drivers who can't regain control of a car in a skid. This skill should be taught and a practial demonstration required to obtain a license.

Link Posted: 12/17/2007 9:00:16 AM EDT
[#20]
Just a little "Car Croquet". A favorite winter sport, so it seems.
Link Posted: 12/17/2007 9:02:02 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You realize that in some states it's illegal to drive on public roads with chains, don't you?

WI is one of them.
Link Posted: 12/17/2007 9:02:50 AM EDT
[#22]
Mashing the gas then stomping on the brake is the only way to properly drive in the snow. Oh yea almost forgot about the human speed bump technique.
Link Posted: 12/17/2007 9:03:15 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I will give you that they were driving way too fast for the conditions,

chains illegal here?  That is news to me.  Last ice storm here, the only people on the roads were the utility vehicles (phone, cable, gas and most importantly, electric), ALL with chains on all 4 corners.  I was out on the state highway on my mountain bike and could hear the vehicles for miles with their chains.  I had trouble on some areas of the paved road, being under 2" of solid ice.  But off road, the knobbies got grip as they crushed the ice covering the grass.

Link Posted: 12/17/2007 9:03:42 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Watched too many movies and thought the car would explode on impact.

Yeah, but if the car he was about to hit was a Crown Victoria, he'd be right!
Link Posted: 12/17/2007 9:06:00 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

chains illegal here?  That is news to me.  Last ice storm here, the only people on the roads were the utility vehicles (phone, cable, gas and most importantly, electric), ALL with chains on all 4 corners.  I was out on the state highway on my mountain bike and could hear the vehicles for miles with their chains.  I had trouble on some areas of the paved road, being under 2" of solid ice.  But off road, the knobbies got grip as they crushed the ice covering the grass.

I'm sure there are certain vehicles that are permitted chains, but thegeneral public is not permitted them because they tear up the roads, AFAIK. Maybe some of our Texas LEOs can weigh in.
Link Posted: 12/17/2007 9:06:57 AM EDT
[#26]
Dam! I guess if I lived where it snowed. I would get only vehilces with all-wheel drive or 4WD
Link Posted: 12/17/2007 9:07:51 AM EDT
[#27]
Happens every year on the same few hills in and around Denver.  They never de-ice or salt them enough and there are clear warnings on the hills.
Link Posted: 12/17/2007 9:10:29 AM EDT
[#28]
So where was this?  Texas?

Link Posted: 12/17/2007 9:10:56 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Dam! I guess if I lived where it snowed. I would get only vehilces with all-wheel drive or 4WD

AWD and 4WD are useless on glare ice, which is what that looks like. Short of having chains or studded tires I don't think you could have avoided that.

Some of the cars looked like they were probably going too fast for conditions, but regardless, I bet you could have lowered a car by helicopter on that hill and it would have still slid down to the bottom.

Sometimes freak things like that happen in winter, but they are certainly not the norm for snow covered roads.
Link Posted: 12/17/2007 9:11:27 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 12/17/2007 9:12:24 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

What gets me, is that every driver has simply locked up thier brakes and just skids right on in. No one attempts to release brakes and simply steer out of danger in this vid. Maybe this is why we have so many drivers who can't regain control of a car in a skid. This skill should be taught and a practial demonstration required to obtain a license.

"but, but....   I don't understand....    It's got anti-lock brakes"

Link Posted: 12/17/2007 9:13:33 AM EDT
[#32]
Man staying in the car would probably be the smartest action

I would think whiplash is better than being run over in the cold.
Link Posted: 12/17/2007 9:15:19 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Bailing out...  WTF???
Link Posted: 12/17/2007 9:15:26 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

What gets me, is that every driver has simply locked up thier brakes and just skids right on in. No one attempts to release brakes and simply steer out of danger in this vid.

I was thinking the same thing.  You'd think that would be common sense, but obviously not.  
Link Posted: 12/17/2007 9:19:33 AM EDT
[#35]
I was kind of hoping someone would slam it in reverse and give her hell....."Steady as she goes Mr. Solo!"
Link Posted: 12/17/2007 9:19:45 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What gets me, is that every driver has simply locked up thier brakes and just skids right on in. No one attempts to release brakes and simply steer out of danger in this vid.

I was thinking the same thing.  You'd think that would be common sense, but obviously not.  

I don't know if that would have even helped in this situation. I mean, it was certainly worth trying, but I don't think it would have made a difference. Didn't look like anyone was even trying though.

Love the people jumping out of their cars!
Link Posted: 12/17/2007 9:23:25 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dude...who puts chains on a car?  It's not the 1940s!  "Better get the Studebaker ready for winter!"  Studded snow tires and taking it slow should do anyone just fine.  Hell I get by with all season radials.
Link Posted: 12/17/2007 9:26:06 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm sure there are certain vehicles that are permitted chains, but thegeneral public is not permitted them because they tear up the roads, AFAIK. Maybe some of our Texas LEOs can weigh in.

Looks like it's legal to me.

(c)  A tire used on a moving vehicle may not have on its
periphery a block, stud, flange, cleat, or spike or other
protuberance of a material other than rubber that projects beyond
the tread of the traction surface, unless the protuberance:
(1)  does not injure the highway;  or                                        
(2)  is a tire chain of reasonable proportion that is
used as required for safety because of a condition that might cause
the vehicle to skid.

from here
Link Posted: 12/17/2007 9:28:57 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dude...who puts chains on a car?  It's not the 1940s!  "Better get the Studebaker ready for winter!"  Studded snow tires and taking it slow should do anyone just fine.  Hell I get by with all season radials.

We do when the snow gets taller than the tires. Chains are as good today as they were then.
Link Posted: 12/17/2007 9:29:33 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bailing out...  WTF???

I think the two that bailed out were trying to Flintstone the cars.

As for that sideways Suburban at :22, had they gassed it they might have gotten away from the CURB OF DEATH that everyone else was getting sucked into.

-p.
Link Posted: 12/17/2007 9:30:16 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
I have to wonder, what kind of person stands there and films 10 cars crashing, one right after another, and make no attempt to go up the hill to warn people.

Probably an upstanding member of the media!
Link Posted: 12/17/2007 9:32:55 AM EDT
[#42]
One of the first things I learned after I got my drivers license...when it's slick, brakes and steering don't go together, every single one of those had their brakes locked up so they couldn't steer, chances are if they would have taken their foot off the brakes, they could have steered around the stopped cars, it has always worked for me.
Link Posted: 12/17/2007 9:34:41 AM EDT
[#43]
WTF jumping out of car? holy shit!!!
Link Posted: 12/17/2007 9:39:43 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 12/17/2007 9:42:07 AM EDT
[#45]
I don't get the guy who jumped out of his car, I don't understand how anyone could possibly think that was a good idea.

Also, am I the only one who watched that video and thought of the insurance nightmare that was going to ensue?  Imagine trying to quantify how much damage each driver was responsible for when there was a chain reaction with every hit.
Link Posted: 12/17/2007 9:45:32 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Pinballs On Ice!

I love this one. Some of those drivers are supid.
Link Posted: 12/17/2007 9:48:50 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

We do when the snow gets taller than the tires. Chains are as good today as they were then.

I suppose they would help in snow that high, but jeez get some plows over their!  Maine doesn't get real high snow, like the lake effect in New York.  Freezing rain is the killer here.
Link Posted: 12/17/2007 9:49:17 AM EDT
[#48]
Going to fast on glare ice means you aren't going to steer out of trouble, stop or anything else, especially on a hill. ABS does not work for crap on glare and pumping the brakes is pretty worthless also. Either drive slow or have studded or chained tires. If all else fails, aim for the side of the road if it's clear and stop that way or if a curb and you start sliding backwards,crab your front wheels to hit the curb and use friction against that to stop you. You DO have a bag of sand or salt in the trunk, right?

Better yet, learn several routes and avoid the ones with hills when slippery out if possible.
Link Posted: 12/17/2007 9:50:12 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Looks like it's legal to me.

(c)  A tire used on a moving vehicle may not have on its
periphery a block, stud, flange, cleat, or spike or other
protuberance of a material other than rubber that projects beyond
the tread of the traction surface, unless the protuberance:
(1)  does not injure the highway;  or                                        
(2)  is a tire chain of reasonable proportion that is
used as required for safety because of a condition that might cause
the vehicle to skid.

from here

I must be thinking of studded tires then. Thanks for looking that up.
Link Posted: 12/17/2007 9:51:19 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You realize that in some states it's illegal to drive on public roads with chains, don't you?

WI is one of them.

Can you site that law? Wisconsin banned studded tires but I can't find anything banning tire chains.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top