Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/28/2001 8:52:29 AM EDT
 Joe Smith started the day early having set his alarm
clock (MADE IN
JAPAN) for 6 a.m. While his coffeepot (MADE IN CHINA)
was perking, he shaved with his electric razor (MADE
IN HONG KONG). He put on a dress shirt (MADE IN
SRI LANKA), designer jeans (MADE IN SINGAPORE) and
tennis shoes (MADE IN
KOREA).
 After cooking his breakfast in his new electric
skillet
(MADE IN INDIA) he sat down with his calculator (MADE
IN MEXICO) to see
how much he could spend today. After setting his watch
(MADE IN TAIWAN) to the radio (MADE IN INDIA) he got
in his car (MADE IN GERMANY) and continued
his search for a good paying AMERICAN JOB. At the end
of yet another discouraging and fruitless day, Joe
decided to! relax for a while. He put
on his sandals (MADE IN BRAZIL) poured himself a glass
of wine (MADE IN FRANCE) and turned on his TV (MADE IN
INDONESIA), and then wondered why he can't find a good
paying job in.....AMERICA.....

Link Posted: 10/28/2001 8:56:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 9:02:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 10:05:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Paul, let us not forget that we are the world's primary exporters of fast-food and rock music !!
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 10:13:58 AM EDT
[#4]
I always try to buy American made products when possible. Example,

American product = $120
Elsewhere produt = $100

Buy American

American product = $150
Elsewhere product = $100

Buy Elsewhere, if comparable quality

I don't mind paying more for American made products, but I won't be taken to the cleaners either.

(edited for spelling [:E])
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 10:37:41 AM EDT
[#5]
i am willing to pay the higher price. for tools in particular.

to me, anything related to tool making, tools, and industrial manufacturing is worth keeping in this country.

Link Posted: 10/28/2001 12:16:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Americans need to find ways to profit from these overseas products. Made in Taiwan doesn't always= Americans out of work. There's a certain amount of people who will never have the networking or entrepreneur skills needed to make it big in a capitalist society. For them there are the hourly jobs working for the people that do. If every product was made in America you would see the prices of everyday items skyrocket. Americans would have a harder time marketing their own products internally and nearly no hope of competing on a global scale. The above scenario is nothing more than the laws of nature at work. Those that don't have the drive or intellegence to find a way to make it big in a capitalist society have to work the hourly jobs they can get and because of their lack of knowledge they rely on the entrepreneurs to sell them their products at RETAIL. There's no fault to these retail sellers if they get their products from the lowest priced source. (You know, the one in Taiwan) If the Joe Smith above wants a "good paying" American job he needs to either go into business for himself or get a marketable skill. If he hasn't done either of those things he needs to quit whining and take a lower paying job that suits his skills. After all it's his own fault he didn't go further in life. Our "successful capitalist society" is built on overseas child labor. He needs to take advantage of that or quit whining. At the very least he needs to get himself educated so that he's in a position to get that better paying job that he thinks an employer owes him.
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 2:25:20 PM EDT
[#7]
The Animals "House of the Rising Sun" (made in America)
View Quote

Made in Newcastle, England. Eric Burdon and the Animals were limeys and the song was recorded over there, too (Eric Burdon wrote it).
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 3:15:09 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't care what it is or who makes it. If I want it I will buy it. I'm an American who won't think outside his own wants and needs. I don't really care all that much about a companys' politics If I like it, unless they support man raping thirty something protestant, straight white guys with blue eyes then I will buy it. The economy has gone global. Sure, some American workers may lose out sometimes but the economic elite, the money people who supply the capitol to keep things rolling always do fine. So will the USA as a whole.
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 3:16:49 PM EDT
[#9]
It's getting harder and harder to find simple minded people here to assemble toasters, electric razors, and shoes for minimum wage.
View Quote

Finding the simple-minded people is the easy part.  It's getting them to work for Mexican or East Asian wages that's the hard part.
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 3:40:36 PM EDT
[#10]
"Joe Smith started the day early having set his alarm clock (MADE IN JAPAN) for 6 a.m."

6am is early? He should have been up at 5 am looking for a job.

"While his coffeepot (MADE IN CHINA) was perking,"

He is out of work and can afford to buy coffee and electricty? Luxery items, both need to go.

"he shaved with his electric razor (MADE
IN HONG KONG)."

Luxery item, put away the electric razor and use a plastic disposable razor and hand soap to shave with.

"He put on a dress shirt (MADE IN SRI LANKA), designer jeans (MADE IN SINGAPORE) and
tennis shoes (MADE IN KOREA)."

What kind of a moron goes looking for work wearing faggy desigener jeans. Tennis shoes? Yea, he is going to get that high paying job of cleaning out toilets.

"After cooking his breakfast in his new electric
skillet (MADE IN INDIA)"

He has a brand new skillet? If he is out of work where did he get the money to buy it?

"He sat down with his calculator (MADE
IN MEXICO) to see how much he could spend today."

How much he COULD spend? He should be figuering out how much needs to spend to survive another day looking for a job.

"After setting his watch (MADE IN TAIWAN) to the radio (MADE IN INDIA)"

Why would he need to set his watch, especialy if it is made in Taiwan.

"he got in his car (MADE IN GERMANY)"

A German car? so he could be driving a Chrystler or a Dodge product then. And if he is driving anything other than an original VW Bug he need to sell it and buy a cheap used crappy econo box or better still sell the car and use the bus.

"and continued his search for a good paying AMERICAN JOB."

And just what does Joe Smith want to do for a living? What are his qualifications? His education? Training? Does he live in an area where there is work? How long has he been looking for a job? It seems that his priorities are not very well thought out.

"At the end of yet another discouraging and fruitless day,"

Job hunting facts show that it takes an average of one months worth of job hunting to find a job that pays $1,000. So on average if Joe wanted a $3,000 a month job it would take him 3 months to find that job.

"Joe decided to relax for a while. He put on his sandals (MADE IN BRAZIL)"

So Joe lives somewhere where he can comfortably wear sandles after 5 pm? Or is he wasting money on heating his place.

"poured himself a glass of wine (MADE IN FRANCE)"

Yep, gotta drown those sorrows.

"and turned on his TV (MADE IN INDONESIA)"

TV? He still hase money for TV? He hasen't pawned it yet? He probably still pays for cable or satillite too. Good on him.

"and then wondered why he can't find a good
paying job in.....AMERICA....."

So someone should just hand him a job?
A good paying job in America is not impossible to find, a person needs to be motivated and have the education, training and experince to get that job. They also need to be flexible and willing to relocate, plus they need to cut out luxeries in their lives if it is as bad as Joe Smiths life is made out to be.
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 3:41:32 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a few good paying jobs for Joe Smith:

alarm clock, coffeepot, electric razor, electric
skillet =  Department store manager, Wharehouse manager, Lead sales repersentitive, Shipping company manager.

dress shirt, designer jeans, tennis shoes, sandals =
Lead sales representitive, Importing company manager, Shipping company manager, Mall retail outlet manager.

calculator, watch, radio, TV = Electronics store manager, Technical representitve manager, Electronics repair facility manager.

spend = Bank manager, Loan office manager, Credit card representitive manager.

car = New / used car sales manager, Car dealership manager, Car repair facility manager, Auto parts sales manager.

wine =  Liquer store manager, Distrbution facility manager, Transportation service manager.

And if Joe Smith thinks he is deserving of a "good paying" American job then instead of going for a manager position he could go for an executive or a board member position.

Link Posted: 10/28/2001 3:49:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 3:53:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Hey...you forgot to mention that Joe:
"then tucked his Glock(MADE IN AUSTRIA)into his waistband".
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 4:18:50 PM EDT
[#14]
It's getting damn near impossible to find [I]ANYTHING [/I] made in America any more.  I would buy it if I could find it.
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 4:24:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Nice catch! Bad Company's The Sky is Burning followed it... don't tell me they're Brits too.
View Quote

'fraid so. Blood Rock is from Dallas and Ten Years After is from limeyland, just in case you're wondering.
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 7:11:05 PM EDT
[#16]
I try to buy American when ever possible, even if the price is higher. And yes it is hard to find some items that are made here. Items I refuse to buy made else where are auto parts(except Bosch spark plugs) tools and tires, I don't think for price and quality we can be beat. There are also some companys that I refuse to use but that is another story.[uzi]
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 8:12:55 PM EDT
[#17]
I would agree to free trade, but most other countries won't let our products in or slap a tax on them so the locals will buy domestic.--  Anyone who has lived overseas and bought items on the economy, (off base) knows what I mean.  The attitude of most european countries is "If it ain't made here - we don't want it".  Bought a pack of Pall Mall cigarettes in Germany last month and right on the pack it says made in Germany under arrangement with Brown & Williamson USA.  Saw some Kellogs corn flakes that were made in USA for 3 times the price of German flakes.  We won't even get into how Japan looks at US products.-- If the US played the game like the rest of the world, you could still buy an american tv or vcr.  We might have to pay a little more, but there would be more jobs here at home.-- Put on some protective tarrifs like the other guys have and we can all play the trade game on a level playing field.--Just my opinion, could be wrong.--ALLONS11
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 9:10:37 PM EDT
[#18]
most of the items listed in the orig post are made in another country because our standard of living is much higher. We dont want to sit around putting 3 dollar alarm clocks together! Our education has allowed us to find better jobs. So when it says made some place else just be glad you didnt have to work in the sweat shop that did make it! The comparable products mad in the educated countries costs more because the people in these countries have a better education. This is also why the product is made better. So next time you buy a pair of running shoes made in Korea thank god that you had the opportunity to work in a country that could provide better paying work!
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 9:28:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I have asked this several times in other places: When being patriotic and buying American means paying higher prices, are you willing to do it?
View Quote

I don't know why peole think that way.
I have very little not made in the U.S.A and don't have any more money that anybody else.
Things don't really cost more but most American made stuff is better and is pusted on us as top of the line,if you take time to look you will find American stuff at the same prices.

PS: on my computer(made in CA)sitting on my sofa(made in NC)in my boots(made in TX) I think I'll see whats on TV(made in TN)I hope the damn dish dose not go out!(made in China)

4 out of 5 is not that bad.
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 10:06:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
that were made in USA for 3 times the price of German flakes.  We won't even get into how Japan looks at US products.-- If the US played the game like the rest of the world, you could still buy an american tv or vcr.  We might have to pay a little more, but there would be more jobs here at home
View Quote

Your heart's in the right place, but I think you misunderstand why these items made overseas are cheap. These people in Taiwan, Thailand, and whatever other countries are working for minimal wage. The average wage is .50 cents a day for a child in a sweatshop. And it's a long ass day. This also explains the sometimes lesser quality of the products. Children are not capable of the quality of work adults are and the bottom line is quantity not quality. I don't think the US wants to be on a level playing field. A level playing field would mean sending your whole (3 person) family to work for approximately $10.50 cents a week. It's clearly more pleasant to buy cheap on someone elses child labor than your own.

And to A2carbine:
While some of the stuff your near right now may be made in America, how bout the rest of your house?
Your desk?
Toaster?
Microwave?
How bout your printer?
Your plates and silverware?
Lamps?
stereo and speakers?
How about the engine in your car?
and the list goes on and on.

Don't take it as a flame though. Buying American where you can if the price is reasonable is a honorable thing to do, but to buy at a higher price isn't that prudent unless the quality is on par with the increased price. The notion that buying American is the "patriotic" thing to do while novel isn't neccasarily reality. Stopping import or boycotting foreign made products would NOT be good for our economy. If anything it would be bad. It would drive up the cost of living while the average wage would stay the same.
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 10:58:47 PM EDT
[#21]
hatebreed -- With all respect, the level playing field I speak of would not involve having our people work for 3rd world wages.-- What I am saying is that if we don't protect our home market, which is what the foriegn competition is doing right now, most EVERYTHING that is now being made in the USA could be outsourced to other countries.  When ALL heavy industry and blue collar and hourly (middle class) jobs are gone to Bum Phuck Egypt, then what?? We all sell each other insurance!! -- I could list the American industries that have been wiped out by cheap foriegn labor and trade practices, but this is a small web site. -- Have you bought any STEEL lately?? -- I have spent a good portion of the last 25 years trying to make inroads into overseas markets and I can tell you it is very hard to do nowdays, unless you are willing to enter into co-build agreements, (where a good portion of the product is made in the country you want to sell to).-- If any country can sell here unrestricted, but will not allow our products to be sold on their end without restrictive tarrifs, WHAT will the future hold for our working people??--Respectfully--ALLONS11
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 12:00:24 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
If any country can sell here unrestricted, but will not allow our products to be sold on their end without restrictive tarrifs, WHAT will the future hold for our working people??--Respectfully--ALLONS11
View Quote

I agree with what you're saying to a point. From my limited understanding though, a restrictive tariff on foreign goods while being great for our government wouldn't do much to protect markets. Take my computer desk for example. It cost me $149 at Office Depot. A similar desk made in America would have cost me nearly $800. No tariff can bring that kind of contrast into balance. You can tax the hell out of foreign goods but as long as foreign economies thrive on child labor nothing is going to change. We could restrict goods to foreign markets as long as they're going to tax them to hell, but would it change anything? They aren't buying them anyway. Even without those taxes our products could never compete with their domestic prices. As long as American workers want $13 an hour while Taiwan kids will settle for .13 cents we aren't going to compete on a global scale with everyday items like toasters and TV's. We're just going to have to adapt and work with the way the world is now and find new ways to profit off this cheap foreign labor. Foreign labor HERE does more to hurt American jobs than foreign labor abroad IMHO. If what you're proposing is a tax penalty for companies who "export" jobs that's different. An American company that builds factories overseas for cheap labor is un-American. Not sure how or if that tax penalty would work......but I definately don't think we should support people with these kinds of business practices. Also like I said I have a limited understanding of this subject, so I'm sure there is plenty of things I'm not factoring in. If my thinking is incorrect please correct me so I can have a more broad understanding in the future.
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 8:31:31 AM EDT
[#23]
MADE IN AMERICA:

4004-->Pentium 4 2.0 Ghz Made in USA
AMD Athlon MADE IN USA

SEAGATE HARD DRIVES MADE IN USA

CRAY SUPERCOMPUTERS: MADE IN USA

PEAVEY AMPLIFIERS: MADE IN USA

HIGH END AUDIO LIKE MACINTOSH,ETC: MADE IN USA.

CHEVIES,FORDS,CHRYSLERS: MADE IN USA

REMINGTON,WINCHESTER,BERETTA,MOSSBERG,BUSHMASTER,ARMALITE: MADE IN USA

F-22, F-117, F-16, F-15, All fighter aircraft for USA MADE IN USA.

M1A1 Abrahms Main Battle Tank: Made in USA

GENERAL DYNAMICS ELECTRIC BOAT DIVISION: MADE IN USA

BRIDGES, BUILDINGS, HOUSES, STREETS, CITIES, TOWNS, STATES, MADE IN USA

RED BLOOD: MADE IN USA

HEAVY TOOLS AND MUCH MACHINING EQUIPTMENT: MADE IN USA. OIL PLATFORMS, OIL DERRICKS, OIL DRILLING EQUIPTMENT, MADE IN USA.  

VALVE TREES MADE FOR OFFSHORE OIL DRILLING MADE TO WITHSTAND 3000PSI HOT DESTRUCTIVE GASES, $1,000,000 a pop MADE IN USA.

I COULD GO ON AND ON.

Look Closer.

Benjamin
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 8:51:09 AM EDT
[#24]
Chemicals for everyday use: MAdE IN USA.
CHEMICALS FOR INDUSTRIAL USE: MADE IN USA.

POWER GENERATION: MOTORS, GENERATORS, TURBINES, DAMS, LARGE EQUIPMENT (CAN YOU SAY CATERPILLAR AND CMI) ARE ALL MADE IN THE USA.

CAN YOU SAY FORGINGS & ROLLING STOCK FROM BETHLEHEM AND US STEEL. AND OTHER MINI-MILLS AROUND THE UNITED STATES. NATIONAL TREASURES ALL. MADE IN USA.  

The problem the United States has is two or threefold.  International policy,   LABOR PRICES (Which as a business owner is the single largest expenditure that one faces in running a business besides Taxes Which only add to it, and Initial startup which is a one time thing).  

ASK T. BOONE PICKENS about dealing with Japans industry!  
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 12:05:08 PM EDT
[#25]
CHEVIES,FORDS,CHRYSLERS: MADE IN USA

REMINGTON,WINCHESTER,BERETTA,MOSSBERG,BUSHMASTER,ARMALITE: MADE IN USA
View Quote

Actually, all of the auto makers rely on parts manufactured outside of the U.S., particularly Mexico and Canada. Chrysler assembles their PT Cruise in Mexico and may still be assembling their Jeep Cherokees there. General Motors makes heavy use of "Hecho in Mexico" electrical and electronic parts, stamps their brand names on the former Geo products (that're made in Japan, i.e. Tracker, Prizm, etc.), and assembles a few vehicles in Canada. Ford owns 27% of Mazda, makes engines and blocks in Mexico, and assembles vehicles in Canada, too. Winchester is manufacturing the Super X2 shotgun in Belgium, assembling it in Portugal, and selling it here. Beretta still makes all of their long guns in Italy.
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 12:42:37 PM EDT
[#26]
My point is this, I think this foreign made argument is getting tired. I see the point in it all for sure, but the US is not as bad as everyone makes out.  In Fact we are better then most in most of everything.  The US could use some improvements for sure but like all business the work is never over and the improvements will go on as long as the business can survive. The downfall of US Electronic industry (however small it may be in this day in age) comes from Labor Prices.  

If the US had to ever go it alone, rest assurred that we CAN and WOULD. We can make anything and everything we need to.  They could go along way offsetting labor price differences buy getting rid of significant corporate taxes.  Then when the COST benefit analysis came back the Malaysia/Taiwan/Singapore plant idea wouldn't even make it to the conference table to be voted on.  And the US would find itself with more industrial plants right here.  However, The US electronics industry has helped build many nations over the YEARS, and furthermore has helped bring about absolutely huge markets.  So I think in the long run it has been good for the US to have plants oversees, and electronics is one market which feeds on itself. It takes electronics to make electronics to make more electronics, etc.

Which is what your argument is all about Not so much foreign goods, but US goods manufactured overseas.  I don't know but the whole thing seems pointless in any case. The US Business man is no dummer and he will go where he can maximzie profit. Period. End of story. If the business climate is less accetable in the US then In the pacific realm then you will see business start overseas.
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 9:20:36 PM EDT
[#27]
benjamin0001 -- You are right, this foreign trade issue is tiresome and annoying, but it has meaning to some Americans.-- You might want to check out the web page of a couple of your sources. -- BETHLEHEM STEEL has entered into chapter 11 bankruptcy protection and our govt. now has several bills pending to help stop foriegn dumping of steel in the US. -- CMI(TEREX) has laid off over 500 people this year and if I know Fil Filipov, this is only the start.  He will outsource to the cheapest bid, just as a good CEO should do. -- We can't change the other persons perspective on the issue. -- My last word on this will be, Thank You for the discussion and Good Luck in your future endeavors. -- ALLONS11
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 9:28:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Harley Davidson!! you should see how many parts on the bike are made in other countries
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 10:59:20 AM EDT
[#29]
Bethlehem Steal was in the same shape int he middle to late eighties when this JAPAN, INC. Argument started. Some good headway has been made, but there is much to be done.
Bethlehem Steel can't compete because of Labor Prices.  Yes I was aware of them filing for Chapter 11.  But it was outside the scope of my argument which was that there are companies in the US which still provide an industrial base for the US. USX is alright however, but the best steal producer in the world may be NIPPON STEAL. Which means that the country who started INDUSTRY needs to get ahead. Metalurgically ,etc. USA USA USA

Ben
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 2:59:48 PM EDT
[#30]
I tried to buy "made in the USA" whenever I can find it, however it is getting real tough.  The Home Depots and WalMarts driving much of their compitetors out of business which used to carry the USA merchandise, and the these "big box" stores are buying more of their merchandise overseas.  Trying buying an USA-made spigot at Home Depot.  Try buying an American flag that says "made in the USA," most of them are made in the PRC(Peoples' Republic of China).
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 12:41:46 AM EDT
[#31]
In general I buy American, but if I do go foreign, I try to buy from Taiwan so I can STICK IT TO THE PRC.....(that's China not Kalifornia.)

MG
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 1:49:00 AM EDT
[#32]
I'm glad someone mentioned "Harley YUPPIE Davidson". Capitalist sellouts to the  all mighty dollar, turned their back on the blue-collar worker who supported them from day one. I sold mine, will never own another. If when I ride another bike, it will be made of aftermarket parts made here in the USA. Yeah, I know, it'll probably cost me as much as a new HYD.
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 4:18:08 AM EDT
[#33]
I have news for all the Walmart hater's, most of the mom and pop stores sell chinese crap almost exclusively too.  They just charge more for it.  Planerench out.
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 5:01:52 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Harley Davidson!! you should see how many parts on the bike are made in other countries
View Quote

Agreed..It is very disappointing to see something thats so well known to people to be "all american" to have so many foriegn made parts incorporated into them.  

"CMI(TEREX) has laid off over 500 people this year"

Compared to what some american manufacturing has laid off this year this is not even a drop in the bucket unfortunate to say.  A lot of the of the losses are due to money factors from the economy.  Unfortunately the company I work for is just using this as a cheap excuse to export manufacturing for cheaper labor.

Link Posted: 10/31/2001 5:04:51 AM EDT
[#35]
Btw....I almost forgot.  If I recall correctly Caterpillar has moved some of it's manufacturing to mexico.  I could be proved wrong on this point though.
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 5:05:14 AM EDT
[#36]
I know of several people who have home built motorcycle projects going right now.
My uncle is one of them.

Benjamin
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 5:10:38 AM EDT
[#37]
It is a self perpetuating problem.  As more Americans purchase cheap, low quality junk at K-mart or Odd Lots, fewer manufacturers of quality products can keep their doors open.  As decent paying manufacturing jobs move to sweatshop countries, American wages suffer, leaving less money to buy decent quality stuff.  We have moved so much manufactering off shore that the standard of living of WORKING class people is falling.  The financial manipulators are doing OK but what about the rest of us?  Insurance, investments and management are fine and necessary but who actually PRODUCES the things we need?  The producers of all that make our society function are often underpaid and no longer middle class.  Wake up - $13 an hour is no longer a middle class jub; it is just above poverty.  In many areas it IS poverty!  Return manufacturing to America, paying MIDDLE CLASS wages or watch us slowly sink into the muck!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top