Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/27/2001 8:10:02 PM EDT
Plastic Trim: Funky or Cool?
Cargo Bed: Innovative, or Virtually Useless?
Cadillac Version: Worth Every Penny of the Extra $15K They're Asking, or There's A Sucker Born Every Minute?
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 8:15:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Pointless, Ugly, Useless, Ugly, Sucker Born Every Minute, Ugly, Stupid, Lame Ass, Can You Tell By Now I Do Not Like It?......Ugly, Abortion Of A Truck.
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 8:21:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 8:31:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Startin' to look pretty GAY to me.  Too pricey for something that light duty.  Why not just bite the bullet and buy a real live crew cab full size?  I think that they are comparably priced.
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 8:43:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Costs way to much!

BKVic
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 8:44:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Seems to be a consensus starting to form here...

One thing I give Chevy credit for with this design is that they're finally providing a rear window that provides SERIOUS access to the truck bed. Most of the previous sliding rear windows only had token openings — certainly nothing large enough to squeeze through when you're carrying a camper. (Of course, no camper I'm aware of will fit the Avalanche, so the point is moot anyway!)
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 8:46:42 PM EDT
[#6]
I would rather have a suburban, but all I can afford is my 4X4 nissan frontier.  One can only dream.

Live Free
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 8:51:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Just checked out the Website.  Lotta inovative gadgets, the side tool boxes and such, but if you use it as a pickeup and fold down the back and the back seats, there's nothing between you and what you're hauling?  Definitely not a "Work Truck"  more like the family SUV with the ability to haul a christmas tree every year.(as long as you don't mind the cold and the pine needles in your truck)

My bet, this is definitely a lease vehicle that you can't wait for the lease to run out.
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 9:08:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Looks like the spawn of a 2500HD that raped an Atzec to me. Seems to be the ultimate Yuppiemobile.
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 9:20:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Looks like the spawn of a 2500HD that raped an Atzec to me. Seems to be the ultimate Yuppiemobile.
View Quote

gotta disagree with ya here.  the ultimate yuppie mobile is the new [i]buick[/i], yes, you read right, buick, SUV.  i can't even remember the name of the model.  but it's ugly:  short front-to-back wheel base, taller than the empire state building (actually, except for the funky angular aspect on the aztec, it looks a lot like an aztec).  and you know it's a yuppie mobile when it was designed by a woman.  just think of the wonderful extras:  built in make up case.  lighted mirror that folds down to cover the entire windshield, making sure you get every square inch of skin coverage, built in closet complete with shoe rack capable of holding up to 5 pairs of shoes in the cargo area.  oh, and did i mention the cargo rack on the roof holds up to 10 shopping bags (weight must be evenly distributed though!).

personally, i think the whole SUV thing is a stupid idea.  you wanna haul cargo?  get a truck.  you want a family car that rides smoothly?  get a sedan.
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 9:24:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Buick Rendezvous.
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 9:40:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Well you know the end is nigh when Lambourghini and Porsche decide to come out with SUVs and GM kills the Camaro.  When will this fad end?  And it seems the Cadillac Escalade is selling well enough even though it just seems like a re-branded Surburban (excuse me, Yukon XL). Blah. You can tell I don't much like SUVs, live in this city and see all the crappy women drivers driving these huge ass trucks everywhere. (they say 'save the enviroment', you do know that those things put out more pollution than a new sports car.  Gas prices are so high, I don't want to pay for them, then why buy a friggin truck that gets crap gas mileage.  You people make no sense.) rant mode off. heh.

-FPC_anon
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 9:41:31 PM EDT
[#12]
I checked one out a couple of months back. In a few years, with some serious refinement, it might be a decent vehicle.
My opinion at the time was that it would require a garage in which to park it or the sun would destroy the plastics in a very short time. also the seals around the rear window would probably not stand up.
All in all, I thought it was an over priced pos., even if it is built on the suburban platform.
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 9:41:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

gotta disagree with ya here.  the ultimate yuppie mobile is the new [i]buick[/i], yes, you read right, buick, SUV.  i can't even remember the name of the model.  but it's ugly:  short front-to-back wheel base, taller than the empire state building (actually, except for the funky angular aspect on the aztec, it looks a lot like an aztec).  and you know it's a yuppie mobile when it was designed by a woman.  just think of the wonderful extras:  built in make up case.  lighted mirror that folds down to cover the entire windshield, making sure you get every square inch of skin coverage, built in closet complete with shoe rack capable of holding up to 5 pairs of shoes in the cargo area.  oh, and did i mention the cargo rack on the roof holds up to 10 shopping bags (weight must be evenly distributed though!).

personally, i think the whole SUV thing is a stupid idea.  you wanna haul cargo?  get a truck.  you want a family car that rides smoothly?  get a sedan.
View Quote

Have you seen the Pontiac Aztec? That thing is ugly, it makes the buick look like a piece of art.  And I think the BMW and Mercedes are more yuppie than the Buick.
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 4:36:04 AM EDT
[#14]
I kind of like it, but I just bought a Sporttrac. Makes no sense economically.

For most people a truck makes no sense, buy a sedan and renting a pickup when you need it would make more sense.
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 5:39:44 AM EDT
[#15]
My sister in law bought one a few months ago.  Her and her husband are definitely not yuppies, but they live in a yuppie community and are ardent "Gotta keep up with the Jones's" competitive people.

She basically doesn't need a pickup for anything, but she likes having the ability to carry an oversized box or Christmas tree.  It's mostly used as a rugrat transporter though.

Ahhh, the joys of a six figure income.
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 7:00:33 AM EDT
[#16]
i can't even afford a new ford 1/2 ton 2 wheel drive stripper (IF you can find one on a lot!).

how the hell do folks afford these things?

i own a small ranch and can't see any "utility" in the things they call sort-utility vehicles. i can see a whole lotta "won't they be impressed with me and my new toy".
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 11:23:28 AM EDT
[#17]
It looks OK to me (kinda fancy)but I'll keep my Suburban, thank you very much.
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 12:47:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Avalanche looks like a "Transformer" to me.  

Keep waiting for one to morph into something different while sitting at a redlight.  Head pops up here, arms twist out there and rocket shoes flip out too.
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 1:00:59 PM EDT
[#19]
I like the idea of four doors with an optional long bed when you need it.  We'll see what happens over the next few years.  Till then, I stick to the Tahoe.

Eddie
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 1:18:51 PM EDT
[#20]
About the only thing I do like about the avalanche is the "bed" being integral to the body like a Suburban, instead of being a separate piece like a pickup (and the Spor-Trac.) Other than that, to me it looks like you really have no more room in the back than you would in the trunk of a fullsize car, plus if you carry anything muddy or dirty it's going to end up getting the passenger area dirty as well. Like ARLady said, if you want to haul cargo get a truck (longbed, of course) and deal with the shortcomings. If you want to carry people in comfort, get a 4-door sedan. If you can only afford one and don't need to haul oversize cargo, get a shortbox crewcab and tell the passengers to stop whining about the ride being rough.
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 1:37:29 PM EDT
[#21]
I like the idea of the bed... Although I confess that I probably rarely would take out the window and lay down the divider.
I was interested in this truck until I saw one. I think it is by far one of the ugliest autos on the road. It's on par with that Pontiac Aztec... I mean what were THEY thinking.
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 8:12:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
My sister in law bought one a few months ago.  Her and her husband are definitely not yuppies, but they live in a yuppie community and are ardent "Gotta keep up with the Jones's" competitive people.

She basically doesn't need a pickup for anything, but she likes having the ability to carry an oversized box or Christmas tree.  It's mostly used as a rugrat transporter though.

Ahhh, the joys of a six figure income.
View Quote
I'm sorry, but they sound exactly like yuppies, no offense.
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 8:50:57 PM EDT
[#23]
I say definately fashion statement. There are a couple of women I work with, who live , how shall I put it, [i]alternative[/i] lifestyles. They just bought one.

This could be the new lesbian power trip vehicle.
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 9:20:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Truck of the mall ninja!!! looks way cool dude! but what is it for and what can it do?? Definitely mall ninja stuff
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 10:10:25 AM EDT
[#25]
I was talking to a person yesterday about his.  It looks cool.  But hell from $32K to $38K it can't be.  He bought his from the highest dealer in town so I know he was a yuppie from the start.  It has two speed 4WD plus 2WD.  V8 , 16MPG.  I like the truck itself, but it IS NOT UTILITARIAN IN THE LEAST. SMALLER THEN SHORTBED, He said it would carry a 4x8 sheet of plywood.  Hmmm,  The design is very very cool. Its function is alright.  It is a Suburban Frame.  I don't know.  I would start I think at a high end Extended Cab Z71 I think.  Trucks in Oklahoma are treated like Gold, the Market is so overinflated it stupid.  You drive it off the lot and loose $4000 in value.  A good low mileage used truck in the Z71 4WD category is the only way to go. Say 2 to 3 years old less then 36,000 miles.  I would have to say its stupid to by a NEW TRUCK , FIRST YEAR TRUCK. Wait 5 years then buy a good used one. They are bound to have lemons the first few years, plus shit will break on TOTALLY NEW VEHICLES. I give this one a pass at least for the next few years.

Benjamin
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 10:13:13 AM EDT
[#26]
I am hoping to get another 150,000 miles out of my Chevy work truck.  Payed For NO DEBT, 116,000 miles on it.  AND GOOD ENOUGH TO HALL ANYTHING I WANT.  BEAT TO HELL. I USE A TRUCK, And I guess these new vehicles are for people who don't use a truck.

Benjamin
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 10:27:52 AM EDT
[#27]
Definitely yuppie suv, but has potential if you lifted it up and put a real roll bar on it and brush guards.  Get rid of those wussy tool boxes, if they can't fit down in the bed, they shouldn't be sticking up throwing off the lines.

Ice
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 10:30:27 AM EDT
[#28]
it's hard to tell in the commercial, but whne it is in pickup mode, is the seating area then exposed to the weather in the back?
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 10:50:44 AM EDT
[#29]
ICE I would say that it isn't good for that at all. The undercarriage was way to complex and didn't have space for a true off road vehicle. You have the clearance, but you don't have the ease of maintenance.  Just get yourself a Used HUMVEE FIXER UPPER FOR $10,000.  Then you have all the power/room/ease that your could want.

That 4WD system alone would cost at least $2000 to fix.  The more I think about this truck the better I can see it is really useless outside of Pavement traveling Yuppie's with a want for conversation(not offroading).  Maybe I am being a little harsh. But????? What the hell do I know?? The guy I was talking to didn't sell me at all. He said that he had been offroading in it??? But when I looked it didn't look at all like it?? He didn't leave any mud whatsoever if he cleaned that well. Then power to him; But I was just left unimpressed.  And for $38,000 dollars. NAH!!! Thats all I got to say.

Link Posted: 10/29/2001 10:56:08 AM EDT
[#30]
It looks cool! Thats it IT LOOKS COOL.  IT IS VERY PLEASING TO THE EYE. THEY HAVE TAKEN EVERY CLICHE OUT THERE AND TURNED IT INTO ONE VEHICLE. ITS THE PERFECT MODEL SYNDROME.  ITS LIKE A BEAUTIFUL GIRL WITH NO DEPTH.  SHE IS PRETTY TO LOOK AT Until you hear her voice and her words.  It is a seller by far, but I think offroad types will settle on something more reasonable.  If the $38,000 dollars amounted to 1/10th your yearly income then I would say go ahead and buy her.

Link Posted: 10/29/2001 10:58:38 AM EDT
[#31]
I have seen worse wastes of money.  Want to guess how much my old neighbor charged to fix Hummer differentials?  We used to go, and, um... test them after they were fixed [}:D]  

Yeah, they are the usual GM mess, but we have raised up some awesome Suburbans, the Avalanche looks cleaner than those, but I haven't had the time to crawl under one.  

If you want extreme off road, you are looking for a Baja truck starting at around 150,000 or a Scorpion MKIII, cause running all out in even the most trickout and beefed up production trucks aren't ever meant to be slammed around at 65mph and jump creeks.

Just bring money,
Ice
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 10:59:49 AM EDT
[#32]
Look man I'm a Chevy guy to the bone,lets not talk about this think....OK

(somebody needs a to be FIRED)
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 4:56:21 PM EDT
[#33]
I think G.M. is having an ugly contest between the Avalanche and the Pontiac Aztek!
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 6:08:32 PM EDT
[#34]
Am I the only one that hates the straight line fenders above the tires?

What's up with dat?
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 6:45:40 PM EDT
[#35]
t looks cool! Thats it IT LOOKS COOL.
View Quote

No offense intended, Benjamin0001, but NO IT DOESN'T! This truck looks like someone won a $5000 JC Whitney gift certificate that's only good for plastic "dress up" parts. And then didn't follow the instructions very well when installing them.
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 7:41:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Yes, I agree. The truck looks like ass.
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 7:56:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Pickup version of the aztec. Ugly plastic and will fall off in a few years. Especially up north.
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 8:06:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Buddy of mine at department, was looking at one, when a salesmen walked by and whispered, "you don't want one"

A few minutes later my buddy sees this guy and asked about his comment.  It seems that there are major problems with leaking when it rains because of all the plastic crap.  Salesmen says they are getting them returned all the time.

If it was me, I wouldn't own one.  It will either be a PU, Tahoo (Yukon) or a Suburby.  Probably a Tahoo.
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 5:35:31 AM EDT
[#39]
This truck is about 7-10 years ahead of its time. They should have waited till the Mighty Morphin Power Ranger fans grew up and became an significant market share. DYNO POWER!!! (and then the truck just morphs itself).

GM, what a bunch of geeks. At least they are trying something new. I guess I have mixed emotions about it. But at least Dodge does a hell of a lot better job of trying something new. And I don't even really like Dodge but they still rule on the whole "defining new cars" category. At least in my book. But it's a small book: Dodge Ram 4x4, Chevy Corvette, Mustang GT, Mazda Miata. And every one of them is fun as hell to drive. Geez, guess I'm not real loyal to any manufacturer [:D]

Retro(justtryingtokeepupwithjayleno)dog
In memory of eric(shouldIchangemyname)hun
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 5:55:59 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Am I the only one that hates the straight line fenders above the tires?
View Quote

It is one of the butt-ugliest things Chevy has ever built. All that plastic s#!t looks tacked on and that straight line fenderwell above the tires reminds me of someone who shouldn't be allowed to play with Bondo. When I saw the first one at my local dealer a few months ago I was compelled to stop in and ask why in the Hell anyone would want to buy that ugly POS that looked like something out of Robocop or something. The salesman seemed pretty insulted but mellowed out when I reminded him I would be back in January to buy another REAL truck from him to replace my 2000 Silverado.
Finnbear out
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 8:30:04 AM EDT
[#41]
I bought a Land Cruiser and didn't like it for the following reasons:

1) Every other LC or Lexus SUV was being driven by some rich bitch.

2)  You couldn't haul anything without major seat adjustments (you had to take the back jump seats out and fold the mid seats down), and even then the mid seats didn't fold flush with the floor like in the Yukon.

3)  My new Tundra extend cab does everything it could do and more (just without the ass warmers).

Link Posted: 10/30/2001 9:27:27 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Look man I'm a Chevy guy to the bone,lets not talk about this think....OK

(somebody needs a to be FIRED)
View Quote

I will agree with you on that...It is one UAV!!!

It has to rank up there with the VW Thing, The Pacer,...etc.

UAV=Ugly @$$ Vehicle.

And just think...it is so ugly that Ford fired J. Nasser so that Ford would not try to duplicate it. Kinda like a pre-emptive strike!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 10:19:12 AM EDT
[#43]
[rant]
i have yet to see a worse abomination of what the spirit and purpose of work vehicle/off-roaders is all about...in fact this plastic-barely-a-piece-of-crap to me represents the OPPOSITE of tough, utilitarian mud runners. what indoor-type with a degree in uselessness designed this absolute, unadulterated POS? i HATE it with every fiber of my being, and if i ever see one on the road (because where the fyck else would i ever see one?), i will beep my horn so they see me laughing and pointing at them! {
but if you want to spend the loot to parade around in a glorified VW Bug, to impress the neighbors, at the expense of your own respectfulness and dignity, be my guest.

God, i hate those things! [/rant]
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 10:35:17 AM EDT
[#44]
when i see a pontiac aztec i yell "UGLY!" even if it's on tv. or if i'm walking and it's parked, i'll do it even if there's other people around.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top