Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/27/2001 8:51:42 AM EDT
my 5 month old jack russel has been diagnosed with demodex mange. anyone have any info on this type of mange they can pass along. has been neutered and been taking dips so far.

Link Posted: 10/27/2001 9:08:29 AM EDT
[#1]
commonly called puppy mange and occurs usually around eyes/muzzle and on the top of the paws.

just keep up with the dips and there is a cream that your vet can get for you as a topical.

my Golden Retriever got this as late as 2yrs old and it took about a month for it to stop progressing.  the hair will grow back just fine if you keep up with the topical and don't let the pooch muck it up.

just normal puppy mange stuff.  lots o' info on the net about demodectic mange.  try google.

scott out
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 1:34:48 PM EDT
[#2]
The vet seems to have a handle on it with the dips and such. The old ranchers around here used to dip the animal in old used motor oil. Messy as hell but it always seemed to work on a short haired dog. I had to put my Chow to sleep when she got it. There was just too much hair to make any kind of treatment practical. Are Jack Russel's good dogs or are they too hyper and and wild? Both of my German Shepards are in bad health and the kids want a smaller dog of some type.
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 1:45:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Gopher---I'm on my second JRT. Had first one 16 yr's. New one is 2 yr's old. They can be really hyper and strongwilled. They don't take any shit and both ours were/are alpha females. I would not recommend them for households with kids. Thats not to say you won't find mello ones, but they were bred to be little asskickers...
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 2:00:20 PM EDT
[#4]
so far he has been an excellent dog. very intelligent and leans real quick. was easy to house break, does not shed, is very good with my six year old daughter. about 8 o clock at nite he gets wild hair up his ass and wants to wrestle. i don't see where the neutering has changed him one bit. but again he is only 5 months old. i would recommend one.

[:)]
Quoted:
The vet seems to have a handle on it with the dips and such. The old ranchers around here used to dip the animal in old used motor oil. Messy as hell but it always seemed to work on a short haired dog. I had to put my Chow to sleep when she got it. There was just too much hair to make any kind of treatment practical. Are Jack Russel's good dogs or are they too hyper and and wild? Both of my German Shepards are in bad health and the kids want a smaller dog of some type.
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 6:05:52 PM EDT
[#5]
My puppy had it 8 years ago, I took him to the vet and then had to do the dip procedure. Luck to say it all turned out ok but man was it a pain in the butt for about 3 weeks!
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 6:25:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Gopher there are some breeders that will  garuntee a calm/sane JRT they go for about $300 around here.  I want one of the little hyper asskickers myself.  Anyone ever had a Rat Terrier?
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 3:29:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Yep, that would be me again. Besides our female JRT, we also have a 11 year old Rat Terrier female and a 2 year old Rat Terrier male. Email me if you would like additional info on these guys...
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 4:58:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Demodex can actually be found on most dogs. What happens in some dogs, is that their ability to keep them "under control" becomes compromised in some way and then the Demodex get out of control (Demodicosis).
I believe the ointment you are talking about is Goodwinol, which works fine. There was a time when breeders would discontinue a line (euthanasia) if demodicosis kept showing up in the pups. Uh, since most people are extremely greedy, the "discontinuation" rarely occurs so you will see demodicosis much more frequently in the future.
Keep up with the treatments and everything should be fine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top