Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 12/6/2007 9:15:27 AM EDT
I've got several Surefire lights, and while they have always performed well (when the batteries weren't dead, as they are all too often) they are obscenely overpriced.  Luckily the ones I have were issued/free.    Thanks to posts about them on this forum I have several Fenix lights and they have also been flawless, and a lot easier on batteries, for a lot less money too.  I see Fenix finally has a normal size/shape/configuration "tactical" light now available, and are going head to head with Surefires.  I'm glad to see the competition, it should help drive prices down to more reasonable levels from the "old" vendors.  Anyone have experience with the Fenix T-1?

Fenix™ T1 Flashlight
The Fenix Tactical series (T) features a powerful, solid, durable, and waterproof design intended for rugged outdoor and military use. It’s as solid as a tank. The T1 uses two CR123A batteries and maintains excellent constant brightness with two output modes: General mode, which can last for a whole night and can be used for general illumination, and Turbo mode, which can be used whenever high-powered light is needed – search and rescue, long-range target identification, etc.

Features
• Cree Premium (Q5) 7090 XR-E LED with lifespan of 50,000 hours
• Two modes of output, selected by turning the bezel:
¨ Turbo Mode: Constant 225 Lumens, 1.5 hours
¨ General Mode: Constant 60 Lumens, 10 hours
• Highly efficient focusing head - throws beam over 200 meters
• Textured Reflector for optimum balance and transition between spot and flood
• Digitally regulated output - maintains constant brightness
• Low battery indication system
• Uses two 3V CR123A lithium batteries TWO CR123A INCLUDED
• 136.5mm (Length) x 35mm (Diameter)
• Solid stainless head & durable aircraft-grade aluminum housing
• Premium Type III hard-anodized anti-abrasive finish
• 153 + -- 0.5 gram weight (excluding batteries)
• Waterproof to IPX-8 Standard
• Toughened ultra-clear glass lens with anti-reflective coating
• Tactical tailcap switch with momentary-on function
• Tactical body clip – attaches securely for easy carrying
• Anti-roll, slip-resistant body design
• Able to stand up securely on a flat surface to serve as a candle
• Included accessories: holster, lanyard, two spare o-rings, and a spare rubber switch boot

Image and description borrowed from:

https://www.fenix-store.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_85&products_id=386

Link Posted: 12/6/2007 9:17:18 AM EDT
[#1]
I want one.
Link Posted: 12/6/2007 9:20:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Hey,

I sold my Surefire 9P to get my Fenix P2D Premium 100.  I love the Fenix's!

Kevin "Bright as shit."
Link Posted: 12/6/2007 9:20:55 AM EDT
[#3]
I have this one en-route. Should be in the mailbox today. My first Fenix light.
Link Posted: 12/6/2007 9:23:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Is it just me, or is 225 lumens pretty bright for a light that size...
Link Posted: 12/6/2007 9:24:14 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

That's kind of the point.

ETA: If Fenix doesn't get around to proving that their lights will hold up to weapon use then they'll never be competition for Surefire.
Link Posted: 12/6/2007 9:24:42 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm not turning in my Surefires anytime soon....
Link Posted: 12/6/2007 9:25:21 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

225 lumens is bright for a light of any size. I will remain skeptical until I have one in my hand.
Link Posted: 12/6/2007 9:28:36 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Theyve always done me right.  Cant beat their customer service either
Link Posted: 12/6/2007 9:29:50 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

225 lumens is bright for a light of any size. I will remain skeptical until I have one in my hand.

I think my LED conversion MiniMaglite is 25 lumens, and I feel like it burns my retinas if I look at it. I think a guy could start a fire with 225.
Link Posted: 12/6/2007 9:30:39 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yup. I had a tailcap switch on my E1L start malfunctioning. Emailed Surefire and they had a new tailcap at my door two days later. They never asked to see a receipt, didn't ask for the old one back, nothing. Just a sincere apology and a replacement part lickety-split.
Link Posted: 12/6/2007 9:31:11 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I've got several Surefire lights, and while they have always performed well (when the batteries weren't dead, as they are all too often) they are obscenely overpriced.  Luckily the ones I have were issued/free.    Thanks to posts about them on this forum I have several Fenix lights and they have also been flawless, and a lot easier on batteries, for a lot less money too.  I see Fenix finally has a normal size/shape/configuration "tactical" light now available, and are going head to head with Surefires.  I'm glad to see the competition, it should help drive prices down to more reasonable levels from the "old" vendors.  Anyone have experience with the Fenix T-1?
snip

How will the Fenix prevent the batteries dying on you, when they use the same batteries?

I love my Sure Fires. If/when I am in the market I'll give the Fenixes a look though.
Link Posted: 12/6/2007 9:31:15 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think my LED conversion MiniMaglite is 25 lumens, and I feel like it burns my retinas if I look at it. I think a guy could start a fire with 225.

I wonder what a 225 lumen strobe would look like to your eyes
Link Posted: 12/6/2007 9:31:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Fenix are awesome lights and I think they would have undeniably the best light in the world if they made this.

4-6 AA powered : CR-123's are expensive and hard to come by unless you want to pay 3-4 bucks a piece for them even at WallyWorld. In a SHTF situation AA's are everywhere all sorts of your equipment uses them like GPS, GMRS radios, weather radio's etc..

Guaranteed waterproof : This would probably make it a poly-whatever material
Link Posted: 12/6/2007 9:31:19 AM EDT
[#14]
I love my Surefire E2L.
Link Posted: 12/6/2007 9:31:34 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If people would buy ARs I built for $600 for $50K I would provide the world's greatest customer service, I promise.  
Link Posted: 12/6/2007 9:31:36 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Real bright, but like most flashlights, it depends on what you plan on using it for. I have quite a few of both Surefires and Fenix lights, and while I've never considered the Fenix lights to be as hardcore and tactical as a SF, the truth is that most people who carry a light day to day will rarely need more than Fenix has to offer. Add in the cost diiference, and it really gives Fenix an edge.
Link Posted: 12/6/2007 9:32:44 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
snip

How will the Fenix prevent the batteries dying on you, when they use the same batteries?

I love my Sure Fires. If/when I am in the market I'll give the Fenixes a look though.

I'm talking about the whopping 1 hour runtime on my 60 lumen surefires, vs 10 hours on the T1.  
Link Posted: 12/6/2007 9:33:37 AM EDT
[#18]
No Fenix for me, period.

1)  Surefire is going to CREE, so replacing head should be coming out soon.
2)  Fenix is a Chi-com company, Surefire is an American company, employing American, support both our military and LE by giving them pretty good discount, and sometimes giving away their products for free.  

The choices are simple, buy American.
Link Posted: 12/6/2007 9:34:11 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
snip
I'm talking about the whopping 1 hour runtime on my 60 lumen surefires, vs 10 hours on the T1.  

Gotcha.
Link Posted: 12/6/2007 9:34:30 AM EDT
[#20]
I have a couple of the Fenix 2AA lights.  Great lights but not nearly durable enough for serious use.

I want to hear some reports on this "tactical" model before I'd buy one.  Umm, for instance, it has a "tactical" momentary switch on the tailcap...yet can be stood on its end for use as a candle?  So do I drill a hole in the table so I can press the momentary tailcap?

Link Posted: 12/6/2007 9:35:49 AM EDT
[#21]
My FENIX P3D is like a little ray of win in my pocket!  
Link Posted: 12/6/2007 9:35:56 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If people would buy ARs I built for $600 for $50K I would provide the world's greatest customer service, I promise.  

I have a sweet AR I built which I'll let go for 50K.  I guarantee lifetime parts replacement, even if you shoot out the barrel!
Link Posted: 12/6/2007 9:36:18 AM EDT
[#23]
i've got a fenix p3d and they say it puts out 200 lumens. i believe it. that thing is almost bright enough to cook with.
Link Posted: 12/6/2007 9:36:43 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I have a couple of the Fenix 2AA lights.  Great lights but not nearly durable enough for serious use.

I want to hear some reports on this "tactical" model before I'd buy one.  Umm, for instance, it has a "tactical" momentary switch on the tailcap...yet can be stood on its end for use as a candle?  So do I drill a hole in the table so I can press the momentary tailcap?

The switch is momentary or "clicky".  And the tailcap extends beyond it, so you click it on and stand it up.  
Link Posted: 12/6/2007 9:37:50 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have a sweet AR I built which I'll let go for 50K.  I guarantee lifetime parts replacement, even if you shoot out the barrel!

Damn right, run it over with a truck, bend the barrel, break it in half?  No sweat, I'll give you a free replacement.  
Link Posted: 12/6/2007 9:37:59 AM EDT
[#26]
Looks nice for a ChiCom product. I'll keep my Surefires, thanks.
Link Posted: 12/6/2007 9:40:12 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Tell me how your use of the light is gonna be "tactical" when it's standing on end on a table?

Not durable for serious use?  I haven't mounted one on a weapon, but they do seem well built.  Once I was up in a ceiling and had my L1D sitting on a ceiling tile.  Fell onto the floor (tile over concrete) and still worked fine afterward.  How durable is it supposed to be?
Link Posted: 12/6/2007 9:47:24 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Fenix are awesome lights and I think they would have undeniably the best light in the world if they made this.

4-6 AA powered : CR-123's are expensive and hard to come by unless you want to pay 3-4 bucks a piece for them even at WallyWorld. In a SHTF situation AA's are everywhere all sorts of your equipment uses them like GPS, GMRS radios, weather radio's etc..

Guaranteed waterproof : This would probably make it a poly-whatever material

cr123 batteries are about a buck each on line and they last longer then AAs
Link Posted: 12/6/2007 9:49:08 AM EDT
[#29]
I have two Surefire and one Fenix. I use my lights daily for work. I find no comparison

in build quality between the two. Surefire wins hands down. As far as feel and function...

again, Surefire.

I also think Surefire is a bargain for the price IF you use and abuse a light like I do.

I use my L2 daily at every job for about 4-5 years now. It's been dropped 6 ft+ on

concrete too many times to count. It's also been thrown, rained on, and used as a

hammer. It still looks almost new.

For occasional use the Fenix are worth a look. They're a good light for the price.

Flushdraw

Link Posted: 12/6/2007 9:51:03 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Tell me how your use of the light is gonna be "tactical" when it's standing on end on a table?

Not durable for serious use?  I haven't mounted one on a weapon, but they do seem well built.  Once I was up in a ceiling and had my L1D sitting on a ceiling tile.  Fell onto the floor (tile over concrete) and still worked fine afterward.  How durable is it supposed to be?

Some folks spend a LOT of money on certain things than cannot accept that they could have spent less on something just as good.

I have a $15 'Darcy' Wal-Mart Light that I have treated extremely badly out in the woods. It has crashed into rocks, trees, what have you. It still works fine.  I think flashlight technology has come far enough that you don't need to spend $150 for a durable light.
Link Posted: 12/6/2007 9:52:29 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Some folks spend a LOT of money on certain things than cannot accept that they could have spent less on something just as good.

I have a $15 'Darcy' Wal-Mart Light that I have treated extremely badly out in the woods. It has crashed into rocks, trees, what have you. It still works fine.  I think flashlight technology has come far enough that you don't need to spend $150 for a durable light.

Yep.
I'm getting my G2s for $25 and my Cree upgrades for $14 and it's a great light.
Link Posted: 12/6/2007 10:01:55 AM EDT
[#32]
Some reviews of the Fenix T1 here:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=181671

They really are brighter than your average Surefire.  I've got a T1 on order.  I'm not getting rid of my Surefires yet... but my family has already begged, borrowed, or stolen both my Fenix P3D lights... so I need another Fenix as a replacement.
Link Posted: 12/6/2007 10:04:42 AM EDT
[#33]
I'm keeping my Surefire 6Ps and 6Zs.

Simple, quality construction combined with ease of upgrading the lamp modules. Currently running Cree LEDs in them. Also easy to find parts if you break something.
Link Posted: 12/6/2007 10:05:49 AM EDT
[#34]
I beat the shit out of my P3D on a daily basis...I also did a little uh...durability testing...in the washing machine and dryer and it still functions fine
Link Posted: 12/6/2007 10:06:54 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

LED technology has radically changed the realm of portable lighting.  The old rules are no longer applicable, everything is different.

ETA:  Looks like a pretty good light, intelligent choice in high/low modes, I don't care for the "strike face" contour around the push button though.
Link Posted: 12/6/2007 10:06:56 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
i've got a fenix p3d and they say it puts out 200 lumens. i believe it. that thing is almost bright enough to cook with.

+1 best light I have ever had.
Link Posted: 12/6/2007 10:13:52 AM EDT
[#37]
I used to want a Surefire A2. Now I have several Fenix/Cree lights instead. Any desire to plunk down the $$$ on a Surefire have been long extinguished. It's a flashlight. It always works (one was with me underneath my car yesterday). It's BRIGHT. It uses more universal batteries that I can find anywhere. Why would I want to spend upwards of $200 on a Surefire again?

Yah... I know... "what's your life worth"... blah, blah, blah... I'm not staking my life on one flashlight. Guess I'm not a Super-Operator.  
Link Posted: 12/6/2007 10:18:55 AM EDT
[#38]
I wonder if this T1 will be suitable for weapon mounting? Has anyone tried?

Fenix should make a 225 lumen pistol light.
Link Posted: 12/6/2007 10:21:00 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

ChiCom does not automatically = garbage.
Link Posted: 12/6/2007 10:22:31 AM EDT
[#40]
I'll keep my Surefires, thanks.
Link Posted: 12/6/2007 10:23:50 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think it's actually ChiCap anyway.  Chinese Capitalist.    I don't notice too many people shit-talking Norinko firearms.  
Link Posted: 12/6/2007 10:25:01 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Some reviews of the Fenix T1 here:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=181671

They really are brighter than your average Surefire.  I've got a T1 on order.  I'm not getting rid of my Surefires yet... but my family has already begged, borrowed, or stolen both my Fenix P3D lights... so I need another Fenix as a replacement.

Unfortunately, Surefire is slow to upgrade their technology. CREE LED's are coming soon.

Link Posted: 12/6/2007 10:29:29 AM EDT
[#43]
So, when is Surefire going to come out with Cree replacement heads for the executive series lights as well as the other models? Knowing Surefire they will probably make a new series of lights whose heads are not backwards compatible with any existing SF bodies. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I own a L2, but damn is Surefire slow to move. The days of upgrading models once every year or two went out with the age of incans.
Link Posted: 12/6/2007 10:39:59 AM EDT
[#44]
Those of you who are not willing to try the Fenix are really missing out.  But then again, close minded people always miss out on stuff because... well.... they are close minded.

I use to think I needed to pay $200 for a light, but then I grew up.  The Fenix is one amazing light.  I am not going to trade in my Surefires, but also I am not going to buy new ones either.  From now on, any new lights I buy will be a Fenix.

Also if you use your flashlight a lot, the Fenix it pays for itself in batteries alone.  Say you use your light 10 hours a week, that's $20 per week for Surefires, and only $2 for Fenix in battery cost.  When the SHTF, the Fenix will work when you need it to, while your surefires don't work because you used it yesterday and forgot to change the batteries.
Link Posted: 12/6/2007 10:42:00 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

That's what I said...then I lost it and am now in the market again.

Link Posted: 12/6/2007 10:43:19 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Those of you who are not willing to try the Fenix are really missing out.  But then again, close minded people always miss out on stuff because... well.... they are close minded.

I use to think I needed to pay $200 for a light, but then I grew up.  The Fenix is one amazing light.  I am not going to trade in my Surefires, but also I am not going to buy new ones either.  From now on, any new lights I buy will be a Fenix.

Also if you use your flashlight a lot, the Fenix it pays for itself in batteries alone.  Say you use your light 10 hours a week, that's $20 per week for Surefires, and only $2 for Fenix in battery cost.  When the SHTF, the Fenix will work when you need it to, while your surefires don't work because you used it yesterday and forgot to change the batteries.

Not only that but the two AA models work great with rechargeable batteries too.  I used mine every single day for the last 6 months or so I was in Iraq, and never bought a single battery.  That's a nice feature if you ask me.
Link Posted: 12/6/2007 10:43:55 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm not going to knock Surefire. They've constructed a good image, sell quality lights, and use their profit for good R&D. What other flash light company do you know that designed and built their own suppressors that compete at a top level?
Link Posted: 12/6/2007 10:44:06 AM EDT
[#48]
Pentagon Lights work great as well.
Link Posted: 12/6/2007 10:48:42 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Never said it did, hence the "nice" comment. I still choose US manufactured products if at all possible. I bought a Fenix when they first came out. They're not poorly made lights. I'll still take my CREE L1 over anything that Fenix markets as 200+ lumens.
Link Posted: 12/6/2007 10:50:06 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think it's actually ChiCap anyway.  Chinese Capitalist.    I don't notice too many people shit-talking Norinko firearms.  

I can't judge one way or another on the Norinco guns. I don't own any, just M1As, ARs and 870s.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top