Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 11/26/2007 12:57:32 PM EDT
First question is it legal in FL to switch lanes while in an intersection?  

Someone hit me from behind on my motorcycle tonight very softly while stopped.  I was in the right turn lane and some asshole was behind me honking the horn continuously and yelling for me to go.  (he was the one who tapped me) . I was waiting for a car to not be in the right hand lane so I could go.  When their was an opening I gunned it and went staying in my lane of course.  A car had switched 2 lanes while being in the intersection and then honked at me while I was accelerating.  

Police officer then pulled me over and inquired why I drove in front of a car.  He looked at my plates and said you can only turn right if it's safe to go.  I told him the person behind me had already hit me once and that their were no cars for 2 lanes so I went.  The police officer told me it was perfectly fine for people to switch lanes whenever or wherever they are as long as their light is green.  

The officer was a complete jerk from the get go.  He made a comment about my out of state plates and then proceeded to tell me the city isn't like WI and the drivers in cars have more right of way then bikes and scooters.  I told him I was pretty sure motorcycles have all the same rights and privileges as other automobiles.   I questioned him again and that's when I got one hell of a line.  He then told me I don't have the right to question his authority and I could talk to a judge if I wanted to "verbally assault" him again.  

No tickets and I never said anything other then yes sir and no sir to him and answered his questions.   I'm guessing he was just having a bad day, but I see why no one that comes into the cycle shop I work at has any respect for the police.  First experience with an officer in Florida and it wasn't that great.  I hope others are more personable.  I have a lot of respect for police officers so don't anyone think this is a LE bash!  This is a SINGLE officer.
Link Posted: 11/26/2007 1:15:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Why did you take off when the guy hit the rear of your bike?
Link Posted: 11/26/2007 1:17:27 PM EDT
[#2]
There was no damage and he only lightly tapped my tire.  I waited until it appeared to be safe to go before I went.  I'm sure if I wanted to be an ahole I could have fell on the ground holding my neck
Link Posted: 11/26/2007 1:17:48 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

waiting to hear answer to this also
Link Posted: 11/26/2007 1:18:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/26/2007 1:18:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Why would I want to stay with someone who was honking their horn, bumped my tire, and yelling at me?
Link Posted: 11/26/2007 1:19:46 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
  I questioned him again and that's when I got one hell of a line.  He then told me I don't have the right to question his authority and I could talk to a judge if I wanted to "verbally assault" him again.  

I've stood toe-to-toe with cops and screamed "Fuck You!!!" right in their face, several times. "verbal assault"!!
Link Posted: 11/26/2007 1:20:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/26/2007 1:20:30 PM EDT
[#8]
If I'm sitting still at a red light and some one tapped the back of my bike
with there car to get me to move, they better call 911 before I get off the
bike.
Link Posted: 11/26/2007 1:20:52 PM EDT
[#9]
I was very respectful as I know he has a job to do, but I wasn't in the mood to much laugh about it at the time.
Link Posted: 11/26/2007 1:21:32 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
bike.

I don't have a cell phone.  Haven't gotten one since I've move to FL yet.
Link Posted: 11/26/2007 1:21:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Come on, all the elements are there.  Some one just has to say it.

passive

Post Number :: 370

USA

Link Posted: 11/26/2007 1:21:53 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

1. if it is an accident, then you stop and hash it out. this did not seem to be an accident.
2. if someone hits you when you are on a bike(without airbags, seatbelt, doors or any other type of safety) you really do not want to push their buttons. if they are willing to try and force a couple hundred pounds of bike and rider with their several thousand pound vehicle, think what they will do when you get off the bike and try to talk them(get insurance for damages or call the police). its not worth it to me.
Link Posted: 11/26/2007 1:23:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/26/2007 1:23:18 PM EDT
[#14]
In AZ it's not illegal to switch lanes in an intersection. It's illegal to PASS somebody within 100 feet of an intersection though.
Link Posted: 11/26/2007 1:23:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Save it for the Judge, IMO.  
Link Posted: 11/26/2007 1:23:48 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

1. if it is an accident, then you stop and hash it out. this did not seem to be an accident.
2. if someone hits you when you are on a bike(without airbags, seatbelt, doors or any other type of safety) you really do not want to push their buttons. if they are willing to try and force a couple hundred pounds of bike and rider with their several thousand pound vehicle, think what they will do when you get off the bike and try to talk them(get insurance for damages or call the police). its not worth it to me.

Exactly what I was thinking.  I had no idea the mentality or what was going on in the head of the person behind me.  But I sure wanted to get away from them quickly.

It is legal to turn right on red in FL unless it is marked.
Link Posted: 11/26/2007 1:24:21 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Why would I want to stay with someone who was honking their horn, bumped my tire, and yelling at me?

not advocating a fight or anything else but someone doing that to me would result in something different than me driving away.

I would pull over and call the popo myself at the very least.
Link Posted: 11/26/2007 1:24:40 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

passive

USA

I normally post at glocktalk.com
Link Posted: 11/26/2007 1:25:26 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

not advocating a fight or anything else but someone doing that to me would result in something different than me driving away.

I would pull over and call the popo myself at the very least.

I would have to go home or stop at a business and see if they would let me use their phone.  So either way I can't stay there and call the police.
Link Posted: 11/26/2007 1:28:15 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Because they just committed a crime?  

When I was working road construction, we had a guy pull a similar stunt while we were stopped in a lane with lights flashing and had obviously exited the vehicle.  We reported it (like we were told to do) and the guy got arrested and charged with "Vehicular Assualt" or something like that.  They went with the felony variety since we were road construction and it was clearly a deliberate (road rage) incident.

Hitting people with cars (even if very lightly) is not a joke or a "reminder".  Cops don't think it's funny or minor and neither should you.
Link Posted: 11/26/2007 1:30:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Around here lane changing in intersections is illegal, sounds like a common sense law designed to stop exactly what happened to you from happening.

Cars having "more" right of way than 2 wheeled vehicles is fucking bs.
Cop sounds like he had a tiny fucking pecker or some other issues.
Link Posted: 11/26/2007 1:30:21 PM EDT
[#22]
It was fairly hard to keep my mouth shut while the officer talked down to me.  I just kept telling myself things I won't post here that made me feel better lol.
Link Posted: 11/26/2007 1:30:55 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

passive

USA

Draw Down®!!

Or were you think of something else?
Link Posted: 11/26/2007 1:32:00 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Because they just committed a crime?  

When I was working road construction, we had a guy pull a similar stunt while we were stopped in a lane with lights flashing and had obviously exited the vehicle.  We reported it (like we were told to do) and the guy got arrested and charged with "Vehicular Assualt" or something like that.  They went with the felony variety since we were road construction and it was clearly a deliberate (road rage) incident.

Hitting people with cars (even if very lightly) is not a joke or a "reminder".  Cops don't think it's funny or minor and neither should you.

Riding a bike often instills a common mentality of "everything else on the road is trying to kill me at all times, react accordingly". It helps us stay alive.
Link Posted: 11/26/2007 1:33:14 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

It is legal to turn right on red in FL unless it is marked.

After coming to a complete stop, Yes.
Link Posted: 11/26/2007 1:33:45 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

passive

USA

Draw Down®!!

Or were you think of something else?

Close enough!
Link Posted: 11/26/2007 1:36:25 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

No... You're not supposed to switch lanes after the solid white centerline, through the intersection. You generally won't get a ticket for it unless: The cop is bored, you are involved in a accident, you have done something else wrong and he's laying on the tickets because you were a dick.

Sounds like he was having a bad day and pushing around a tourist.
Link Posted: 11/26/2007 1:38:44 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I've stood toe-to-toe with cops and screamed "Fuck You!!!" right in their face, several times. "verbal assault"!!

Come try that in Texas.

I'm betting the "you" part would be said to Mr. pavement.
Link Posted: 11/26/2007 1:41:56 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No... You're not supposed to switch lanes after the solid white centerline, through the intersection. You generally won't get a ticket for it unless: The cop is bored, you are involved in a accident, you have done something else wrong and he's laying on the tickets because you were a dick.

Sounds like he was having a bad day and pushing around a tourist.

That's the feeling I was getting.  I just recently got my FL driver's license but still have WI plates.  I have no driving violations of any kind on my adult record.  Last one was when I was 16 and had just gotten my license.
Link Posted: 11/26/2007 1:44:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Welcome to Florida. It's only going to get worse.
Link Posted: 11/26/2007 1:48:56 PM EDT
[#31]
The way I see it the driver of the car assaulted you and the cop should not be a cop.  
In my state it is against the law to change lanes in an intersection.  
Link Posted: 11/26/2007 1:53:18 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

I would have done the same thing. For all he knew...the guy could have hammered it and ran over him and the bike.  When it comes to a 4000lb car and a 400lb bike......if someone "bumps" me from behind ...I'm going to get the hell out of their way ASAP...no matter what traffic laws I break.  When it comes to my life, or breaking a law...I choose my life.  

Link Posted: 11/26/2007 1:53:38 PM EDT
[#33]
My bike seems to be ok as am I.  I am thankful for that.
Link Posted: 11/26/2007 1:59:42 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Come try that in Texas.

Well, more than likely he'd just get corrected:

Texas cop: "Fuck me? No, actually it's 'fuck you!'

(Then he kisses the pavement!)
Link Posted: 11/26/2007 2:03:37 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Why didn't you call 911?

Even if the belligerent driver leaves, that's a hit and run.  The fact that he did it twice, intentionally, would probably raise the offense level to reckless endangerment or a similar charge.

If anyone hits my car, it would merit a call for police.  If done intentionally, a call to 911 is in order.

And I might have an injury in the case of an intentional hit...  so if they leave the scene, it becomes a felony hit and run (in IL).

Why didn't you call 911?

John
Link Posted: 11/26/2007 2:07:30 PM EDT
[#36]
[spelling/grammar nazi] They drove THEIR fucking car back over THERE because THEY'RE afraid some gomer will steal it....[s/g n]

Link Posted: 11/26/2007 2:08:55 PM EDT
[#37]
All you tough-talking Texans with your millions of illegal aliens.

Yeah, nobody messes with the law that is a middle class gringo. You'll kick their asses for sure!
Link Posted: 11/26/2007 2:10:13 PM EDT
[#38]
You just caught him trying to bs you about rights of bikes and cars (for whatever reason).  It's like in football though where someone does something that deserves a penalty but the ref only sees the retaliation.  Something like that anyway.  Chalk it up under the unfairness of life.

I'd say you're under the same onus, turning right on a red light Only when safe.  Just a toss-up to the cop.
Link Posted: 11/26/2007 2:11:38 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Yeah, nobody messes with the law that is a middle class gringo. You'll kick their asses for sure!

I was gonna say, Texas? We don't know if the OP speaka the Spanish
Link Posted: 11/26/2007 2:13:34 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Texas = Owned.
Link Posted: 11/26/2007 2:15:22 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:
  I questioned him again and that's when I got one hell of a line.  He then told me I don't have the right to question his authority and I could talk to a judge if I wanted to "verbally assault" him again.  

You're so full of shit, your eyes are brown.
Link Posted: 11/26/2007 2:16:22 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
bike.

Ditto.

Park Bike.
Dismount.
Call 911 and tell them you've just been the victim of vehicular assault and that they'd better get an officer to the scene pronto or the vehicular assault-er is likely to become a victim of some assault & battery in the 1st degree.

Or simply skip the 911 call...
Link Posted: 11/26/2007 2:18:40 PM EDT
[#43]
Assuming all facts are 100% I would have found the nearest phone, called his department, and requested to speak to his supervisor.  I am retired after 28 years in law enforcement and would never consider telling anyone that they do not have the right to question authority.  It would have done no good to argue and dig a hole for yourself with this guy, but I would speak to a supervisor and also question why he showed not interest in investigation an accident.  There are jerks in every profession.  Unfortunately, some occupations are more high profile than others, such as law enforcement.  It is to bad that common sense does not play a larger roll in the hiring process.
Link Posted: 11/26/2007 2:20:43 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Come try that in Texas.

THAT HILARIOUS!!!

I Love it when cops beat the hell out fo people for mouthing off!!

I mean, think of all the great threads we'd have: I asked a cop why he stopped me for turning right on red, and he beat the shit out of me!! It was great!
Link Posted: 11/26/2007 2:44:51 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Come try that in Texas.

THAT HILARIOUS!!!

I mean, think of all the great threads we'd have: I asked a cop why he stopped me for turning right on red, and he beat the shit out of me!! It was great!

I take it you think it's perfectly acceptable to square off on someone (anyone, cop or not), get in their face and scream "Fuck you!"?
Link Posted: 11/26/2007 2:45:15 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh, you are a bad motherfucker.   Those cops probably never knew how close to an ass beating they really came.
Link Posted: 11/26/2007 2:47:15 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why didn't you call 911?

Even if the belligerent driver leaves, that's a hit and run.  The fact that he did it twice, intentionally, would probably raise the offense level to reckless endangerment or a similar charge.

If anyone hits my car, it would merit a call for police.  If done intentionally, a call to 911 is in order.

And I might have an injury in the case of an intentional hit...  so if they leave the scene, it becomes a felony hit and run (in IL).

Why didn't you call 911?

John

I can't call 911 until I got home.  I don't have a cell phone.
Link Posted: 11/26/2007 2:54:52 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Because he is..
<check OP's screen name>
Link Posted: 11/26/2007 2:56:21 PM EDT
[#49]

Link Posted: 11/26/2007 3:12:12 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Come try that in Texas.

THAT HILARIOUS!!!

I take it you think it's perfectly acceptable to square off on someone (anyone, cop or not), get in their face and scream "Fuck you!"?

more or less, yeah. while another word or phrase may work better, sometimes you have to say something.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top