Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/24/2001 4:00:50 PM EDT
My daughter from my 1st marriage lives in Ozark, AL and I want to move closer to her, anyone have suggestions. I really like southern Indiana, 65 goes from IN to AL and it's only 10 hours drive away. Went there this summer. Indiana was green (even the grass on the freeway dividers), had nice people, nice places and the air was clean and smelled like corn. In central California the air tastes like lead and you can't see through it, the grass is all dead except for during winter, summers always get over 100F and the job market sucks. I never relly was fond of any of the southern states, but I'm open to suggestion. Basically:
I want 4 seasons,
I don't want really hot summers or unholy humidity levels,
Winter is good, but not too sub-freezing,
Looking for an area with a decent sporting industry (ranges, retailers, distributors, possible related jobs),
Clivilian ownership of AW's, SBR's & suppressors,
Decent job market,
Decent cost of living (reasonable homes, apartments and shopping),
Nice scenery (parks and places, near water),
Decent people and politics (it was the liberal CA family courts that caused this in the 1st place). My wife, daughter and I love the ocean & will miss the CA coast but it's a small price to pay for freedom.
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 4:23:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Come to Tennessee.
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 4:39:37 PM EDT
[#2]
This will fit most of your criteria, and bears a visit there of a few days.
Huntsville AL.
Definately 4 seasons , now it does get hot / humid there in summer, but so does S. Indiana, just more of it in H'ville.
This is a high-tech town, very clean, not too large, and appears to offer a high quality of life.  I've always been impressed with H'ville, and if I were to move that direction, it would be high on my short list.
Only about 6 hours from the Gulf, close to mountains, etc.
Worth checking out IMHO.
BTW, I don't have a map handy.  Where is Ozark AL.  I know I've been through there.  Was thinking it was in very lower part of state, near FL. state line?
Best of luck.
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 5:09:29 PM EDT
[#3]
It is near Dothan. I had a friend from Huntsville. When I was 13 I stayed at Redstone Arsenal when we drove cross country. I'd have to visit again to see, I do remember it being 'sticky'. But I notice humidity more now than when I was 13.
I went to Tennessee on that same trip. We were heading to Graceland for my mom, never made it. It was 118 degrees with 90 percent humidity there. Sorry, but forget Tennessee.
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 5:15:28 PM EDT
[#4]
I grew up in CA, and have lived in B'ham or other southern states now for years.  I've never looked back.  Here in AL I can carry my handhun about me, hear good music, BS and shoot out in the woods, drive well over 70 mph. with little fear of reprisal, eat great BBQ, enjoy a low cost of living, not have to get my cars smogged, not have to sit in traffic, enjoy the benefits of our outdated, wonderfully perfect constitution, see many rebel flags, etc., etc., etc.

My parents moved here from the Bay Area a few years ago, in order to be near us and their grandkids.  My mother was from this area, so she knew of what she was getting but my Stepfather was not.  He has not at all regretted it.  God bless the SOUTH!

(Edited to point out that for all the good things, the summers here are HUMID AND HOT AS HELL!!!)
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 5:19:57 PM EDT
[#5]
What is the southern coast like. I've heard with the gulf and all, it's still nasty? What are winters like in AL?
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 5:28:27 PM EDT
[#6]
The Gulf is lovely, but very storm prone.  As for the winters, they're cold but not arctic.  A few days of snow, but really not enough to cause trouble.  Although, everyone always goes and buys all the milk and bread and crashes their cars.  Definitely 4 seasons, but as I edited, the summers are definitely brutal.  95-100 deg. w/ HIGH HUMIDITY!  But hey, just stay inside!
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 5:34:27 PM EDT
[#7]
That part of the coast is jokingly referred to as the "Red Neck Riviera".  Totally different from California, but in a very nice sort of way.  Beautiful white sand beaches, almost looks like sugar in some areas.  Usually not much surf.  Fairly easy to find quiet stretches of beach, very relaxing, great sea, and cajun food!  Not nasty at all IMHO unless after a storm, etc.  Beautiful place is Gulfport / Biloxi MS area.  There are antebellum homes right on the beach.  Quite a sight to see.  Lot's of history in AL. too with the civil war, etc.  Natchez Trace Parkway is a great drive.  Lots of lakes too.
Winters in H'ville prety mild.  A lot more so than S. Indiana.  This sounds like a travelogue doesn't it?
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 5:39:24 PM EDT
[#8]
I actually like winter. I'm tired of having to drive to snow. In S.IN you're far enough away from Lake MI that it isn't so bad. We had a day where it snowed here for the first time since the 60's. People drove like idiots. "Oh my Lord it's snowing, what do I do"? They even do it when it rains.
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 6:27:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Come to Tennessee.
View Quote

The Only good thing to EVER come out of Tennessee is I-65 South into Alabama.

If you guys like the Coast I suggest Pensacola or anywhere along the Florida Gulf Coast...There are seasons there (but really only three, spring summer and fall...winter lasts about a month ot two). Huntspatch,(Huntsville)AL is also nice, but is still a good drive from Ozark.
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 6:32:53 PM EDT
[#10]
I would suggest you move right next door to your ex-wife. This will really piss her off.
Everytime she needs a Mr. Fixit they you can tell her to call a plumber cause you just don't work for her any more.
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 6:36:58 PM EDT
[#11]
I would take PH119 advise and move to Alabama because its a good state to live in. I've been here 29 years. Take Care

Moose
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 7:06:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 7:38:35 PM EDT
[#13]
I still like distance from my ex. If I lived too close to her I might get too tempted to:
[sniper]
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 9:27:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Any other suggestions? Doesn't have to be in AL. Nearby states. When she lived in CA I had to drive 5-6 hrs to see her. They moved 2 years ago and I see her in summer and some holidays. Being 10-12 hrs drive away is better than 2000+ miles.
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 11:31:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Do NOT move to TN where we have Class 3 owners, public (no fee) shooting ranges, CCW, plenty of hunting, a gun friendly state & NO state income tax.

You should move to IN where they have toll roads, a state income tax, less than gun friendly thoughts & the females are less than perfect.  >gg<
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 8:33:20 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm from CA, I can't transition too fast.[:D]
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 8:36:55 PM EDT
[#17]
When I went to Holiday World there were plenty of healthy corn fed girls. [:D]
Link Posted: 10/26/2001 2:05:17 PM EDT
[#18]
BTT
Link Posted: 10/26/2001 5:26:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Another Alabamian here.  Been here fro 29 years(born here).  Spring, Fall, and Winter are OK here in LA(Lower Alabama, Mobile to be exact) but summer can be down right awful.  95-105*F with 100% humidity every day!!!  But the winters here are more like early spring most of the time...60-70*F during the day and cool at night.  Good hunting and fishing if that is your thing.  Do have the threat of hurricanes though during the summer and fall.  Job market varies from place to place(Mobile's SUCKS!!!)  
On the brighter side though, there are plenty of beaches around and there is Biloxi & New Orleans a few hours west of here, and P'cola, Destin, Ft. Walton, Panama City a few hours east.  We're pretty much right in the middle of everything on the Gulf Coast!!!

But, as the saying goes down here...
"If you don't like the weather, wait around 15 minutes and it will change!!!"
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top