Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 10/10/2007 9:47:42 AM EDT
CLEVELAND -- Numerous police officers, with guns drawn have been seen running into the Successtech Academy High on Lakeside Avenue downtown.
1:34 p.m. There are unconfirmed reports that students and teachers are hiding and taking cover inside the building. The SuccessTech Academy believes its students should participate in service learning and rigorous curriculum though the use of state of the art technology.
-------------------------------------------------
1:32 p.m. According to a tip email the shootings reportedly took place on the 3rd and 4th floor. It is unclear at this time whether the gunman is in custody.
1:25 p.m. There are reports that there are two victims shot.

Witnesses tell Channel 3 that the suspected shooter is a 14-year-old student who was apparently upset about a suspension.

There are unconfirmed reports that the victims are male teachers.

Stay with Channel 3 News and wkyc.com for the latest details.

link

Update:

1:48 p.m. Authorities are shutting down Lakeside Avenue from East 12th to East 14th Street due to the incident.
1:41 p.m. Education Reporter Kim Wheeler reporting from the scene says the estimates are now that 4 people have been shot. Two of the victims have been taken to MetroHealth Center. Mayor Frank Jackson has arrived at the scene to find out firsthand what is happening.

Update 2:

1:58 p.m. There are unconfirmed reports that there may be as many as five people injured. Sources tell Channel 3 News that the security guard was on vacation and that two other full time security guards had been laid off in recent years. The school has business and administrative offices on the ground to 2nd floors and classrooms on the 3rd floor and above.

Update 3:

2:10 p.m. According to Channel 3 News reporter, Dave Summers on scene, the gunman reportedly had two weapons. Police say they have the suspected shooter "in control." Earlier reports of potentially 5 victims have proven untrue. It is a chaotic scene. Authorities say the number of injuries is 4. MetroHealth Medical Center confirms it has received three victims, but no other details on their condition is available.

Update 4:

2:26 p.m. Sources tell Channel 3 News that the suspected shooter is dead.

Update 5:

2:32 p.m. Cleveland Teachers Union President JoAnne DeMarco came to the scene after she heard that a union representative was shot.

"Schools are supposed to be a safe place," DeMarco said. "Success Tech would have been the last place that I expected this."

One parent Channel 3 News spoke with said that they pulled their child out of private school so they could attend Success Tech, a school of about 200 students in grades 9-12. According to many on scene, the school has a great reputation and the students have high grade point averages.

One parent of a graduate of Success Tech came to the scene and spoke with Kim Wheeler.

Charles said that the school used to have security personnel, but they were taken away three-four years ago. Charles said that each classroom had 30-40 children.

"Tensions were high in the school," Charles said. "It's too crowded . to take away the only source of protection is just not right."

Update 6:

2:54 p.m. If you are a parent of a student at the school, you can reunite with your child at either Channel 3 studios at 1333 Lakeside Avenue, or at the FBI building across from Success Tech.

--

2:52 p.m. Cleveland Teachers Union President JoAnn DeMarco tells Channel 3 News that the shooter killed himself with a self-inflicted gunshot wound. Police Union officials told Channel 3 News the same information about the alleged shooter.

---

2:47 p.m. In a news conference from the scene, Cleveland Mayor Frank Jackson now says there were five people hurt, four of those victims were shot. Jackson describes the victims as a 57-year-old male, a 42-year-old male, a 17-year-old male, and a 14 year-old male. All those victims suffered gunshot wounds. A fifth victim a 14-year-old girl injured her knee. Jackson says all the "children" are in stable condition. The mayor described the adult victims in an "elevated" condition. Schools CEO Dr. Eugene Sanders says the building is secured and that there is no reason to suspect that there are any others involved. Sanders says psychologists and counselors have been been brought to the site to help students and teachers.

Update 7:

3:15 p.m. Channel 3 reporter Maureen Kyle is on scene at MetroHealth Medical Center. According to doctors, the 57-year-old male gunshot victim is listed in good condition. There is no condition available on the 42-year-old male gunshot victim. Both teenage males who suffered the gunshot wounds are listed in stable condition.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 9:49:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Is it just me or are these becoming almost daily occurances?
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 9:50:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Not again...
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 9:51:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Not again
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 9:54:15 AM EDT
[#4]
ah shit.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 9:54:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 9:54:25 AM EDT
[#6]
How'd the 14 yr old get a gun, doesn't he know that it's illegal to carry a gun on school campuses?

I bet that he gets suspended again!

Link Posted: 10/10/2007 9:54:31 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Is it just me or are these becoming almost daily occurances?

School shootings, no.

Shootings/"manhunts" in general receiving much more coverage, yes.

Link Posted: 10/10/2007 9:54:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Not this shit again...
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 9:55:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 9:56:23 AM EDT
[#10]

Disarmed schools are teh suck.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 9:57:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Update...

1:48 p.m. Authorities are shutting down Lakeside Avenue from East 12th to East 14th Street due to the incident.
1:41 p.m. Education Reporter Kim Wheeler reporting from the scene says the estimates are now that 4 people have been shot. Two of the victims have been taken to MetroHealth Center. Mayor Frank Jackson has arrived at the scene to find out firsthand what is happening.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 9:57:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Run for the hills.......

Run for your lives......
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 9:57:36 AM EDT
[#13]
WTF
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 9:58:00 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
How'd the 14 yr old get a gun, doesn't he know that it's illegal to carry a gun on school campuses?

I bet that he gets suspended again!

He must have missed the sign.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 9:59:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Prayers sent for the victims, and for quick elimination of the murderer.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 9:59:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 9:59:22 AM EDT
[#17]
Schools are actually quite safe.

...for armed psycho killers.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 9:59:36 AM EDT
[#18]
ost
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 10:00:23 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Disarmed schools are teh suck.

No no no. You've got it all wrong. "Gun-free" school zones keep kids safe.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 10:00:48 AM EDT
[#20]
I wonder if he will shoot himself three times in the head? His 'rents probably didn't get him Halo3 in time and that sent him over the edge.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 10:01:07 AM EDT
[#21]
Fuck.  

I just gave a speech today on student self defense, too....
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 10:01:38 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Our good Mayor Jackson wants to increase the firearms ownership age to 21 accross the board.  He believes that such a law would prevent yoots from obtaining firearms.

That will stop thoes 14 yr olds, oh, nevermind.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 10:01:53 AM EDT
[#23]
"Successtech Academy High"?

Sounds like some libtard name for an 'alternative school' warehouse for the unteachable.

Link Posted: 10/10/2007 10:04:10 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
CLEVELAND -- Mayor Frank Jackson has arrived at the scene to find out firsthand what is happening.

What a complete joke of a Mayor
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 10:07:21 AM EDT
[#25]
What the hell?
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 10:09:52 AM EDT
[#26]
I didn't see anything on Drudge

ETA Nevermind it just wasn't in red like breaking stories usually are
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 10:12:00 AM EDT
[#27]
I teach at an alternative school.  We have no security except for a deputy sherif that I can call on a walkie-talkie.

It is illegal for me to have a firearm with me or even in my car.

Last year two of our students were arrested for first degree murder.

Why is it this way?  Because ministrators are pussies.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 10:12:21 AM EDT
[#28]
FOX has it.

Link
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 10:12:53 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Our good Mayor Jackson wants to increase the firearms ownership age to 21 accross the board.  He believes that such a law would prevent yoots from obtaining firearms.

1) The age is at 18 and doesn't prevent people under 18 from getting guns.

2) At 18 I can vote, buy a car, buy a house, get married, join the army (or even get drafted AGAINST MY WILL) and use multi-million dollar tanks, jets, and machine guns, but I can't own a frigging gun until I'm 21? Bullshit.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 10:12:56 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:
CLEVELAND -- Mayor Frank Jackson has arrived at the scene to find out firsthand what is happening.

What a complete joke of a Mayor

{EOC commader to Mayor Jackson,}  "Sir, Fuck off"
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 10:13:03 AM EDT
[#31]
In response I think the only action that makes sense it to ban kids from schools.  In reality it's the only way to stop the violence.

*edit* damn my typos
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 10:13:12 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
"Successtech Academy High"?

Sounds like some libtard name for an 'alternative school' warehouse for the unteachable.

I'm stealing that phrase, if you don't mind.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 10:13:36 AM EDT
[#33]
First reports are often wrong.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 10:14:12 AM EDT
[#34]
Damn 3500, you could qualify for Hazardous Duty Pay. I thought Texans have a little more freedom and a gov't that had a little common sense. Key word being little I guess.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 10:15:47 AM EDT
[#35]
SuccessTech

Your journey can begin here! SuccessTech Academy is a small, nontraditional high school that provides a learning environment in which all students believe in their ability to succeed. Students will achieve their goals as they progress through our problem-based, technology infused curriculum. Each student will develop a personalized learning plan with his or her teacher and parent. Students will be required to participate in service learning, which enhances what is taught in school by extending learning beyond the classroom into the community. The SuccessTech Academy learning community will have high standards and a rigorous curriculum  that promotes cooperative learning, inquiry -based problem solving and communication skills. In order to accomplish these goals, state of the art technologies will be incorporated into the daily learning projects. Students will experience learning in a setting that allows for individual, small and large group activities in flexible surroundings. All students will be part of a consistent "Family Home Room" for their four years.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 10:17:26 AM EDT
[#36]
They reported they had him in custody, and now they are saying he is dead?

Oh, and they are making a big deal about him having a gun in each hand.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 10:18:01 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
In response I think the only action that makes sense it to band kids from schools.  In reality it's the only way to stop the violence.

You are going to stop violence with a school band?
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 10:18:40 AM EDT
[#38]
here we go again.........
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 10:18:57 AM EDT
[#39]
Update 3:

2:10 p.m. According to Channel 3 News reporter, Dave Summers on scene, the gunman reportedly had two weapons. Police say they have the suspected shooter "in control." Earlier reports of potentially 5 victims have proven untrue. It is a chaotic scene. Authorities say the number of injuries is 4. MetroHealth Medical Center confirms it has received three victims, but no other details on their condition is available.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 10:19:09 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
SuccessTech

Your journey can begin here! SuccessTech Academy is a small, nontraditional high school that provides a learning environment in which all students believe in their ability to succeed. Students will achieve their goals as they progress through our problem-based, technology infused curriculum. Each student will develop a personalized learning plan with his or her teacher and parent. Students will be required to participate in service learning, which enhances what is taught in school by extending learning beyond the classroom into the community. The SuccessTech Academy learning community will have high standards and a rigorous curriculum  that promotes cooperative learning, inquiry -based problem solving and communication skills. In order to accomplish these goals, state of the art technologies will be incorporated into the daily learning projects. Students will experience learning in a setting that allows for individual, small and large group activities in flexible surroundings. All students will be part of a consistent "Family Home Room" for their four years.

"warehouse for the unteachable" sounds about right
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 10:19:52 AM EDT
[#41]
Music calms the savage best...haven't you ever seen Bugs Bunny versus the Tasmanian Devil?
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 10:20:12 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:
In response I think the only action that makes sense it to band kids from schools.  In reality it's the only way to stop the violence.

Yes.  Ever been smacked in the head with a flute?  I heard that those snare drums are bullet proof, too!
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 10:20:21 AM EDT
[#43]
but wait.. its a gun free zone.. there are no guns there
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 10:22:41 AM EDT
[#44]
Free guns or gun free?
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 10:24:25 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/10/2007 10:24:57 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
SuccessTech

Your journey can begin here! SuccessTech Academy is a small, nontraditional high school that provides a learning environment in which all students believe in their ability to succeed. Students will achieve their goals as they progress through our problem-based, technology infused curriculum. Each student will develop a personalized learning plan with his or her teacher and parent*. Students will be required to participate in service learning, which enhances what is taught in school by extending learning beyond the classroom into the community. The SuccessTech Academy learning community will have high standards and a rigorous curriculum  that promotes cooperative learning, inquiry -based problem solving and communication skills. In order to accomplish these goals, state of the art technologies will be incorporated into the daily learning projects. Students will experience learning in a setting that allows for individual, small and large group activities in flexible surroundings. All students will be part of a consistent "Family Home Room" for their four years.

*please note how 'parent' is singular.

Yep.  What I figured -- it's a Kumbaya Warehouse
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 10:26:19 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 10:27:55 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:
SuccessTech

Your journey can begin here! SuccessTech Academy is a small, nontraditional high school that provides a learning environment in which all students believe in their ability to succeed. Students will achieve their goals as they progress through our problem-based, technology infused curriculum. Each student will develop a personalized learning plan with his or her teacher and parent*. Students will be required to participate in service learning, which enhances what is taught in school by extending learning beyond the classroom into the community. The SuccessTech Academy learning community will have high standards and a rigorous curriculum  that promotes cooperative learning, inquiry -based problem solving and communication skills. In order to accomplish these goals, state of the art technologies will be incorporated into the daily learning projects. Students will experience learning in a setting that allows for individual, small and large group activities in flexible surroundings. All students will be part of a consistent "Family Home Room" for their four years.

*please note how 'parent' is singular.

Yep.  What I figured -- it's a Kumbaya Warehouse

short bus high school for sure.
fox reports the shooter is dead.
one less animal on the street. good...
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 10:28:02 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

1) The age is at 18 and doesn't prevent people under 18 from getting guns.

2) At 18 I can vote, buy a car, buy a house, get married, join the army (or even get drafted AGAINST MY WILL) and use multi-million dollar tanks, jets, and machine guns, but I can't own a frigging gun until I'm 21? Bullshit.

Note to self, never move to OH...
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 10:28:29 AM EDT
[#50]
Great.

I wonder if some candidates will be using this..
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top