Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/20/2001 9:39:40 AM EDT
I know, way off topic, but we are getting rid of our beat up carpet, and I wonder what people thing would be a good choice to replace it with.
I am guessing the marble may be more expensive, but it might hold up better than the wood.

Also would you get a CZ75 or for $100 more a Beretta M9?
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 9:42:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I know, way off topic, but we are getting rid of our beat up carpet, and I wonder what people thing would be a good choice to replace it with.
I am guessing the marble may be more expensive, but it might hold up better than the wood.

Also would you get a CZ75 or for $100 more a Beretta M9?
View Quote

Wood will be warmer to the touch and less likely to break everything you drop on it.  They age well and look better with time. I have heart pine in my house: carpet makes me sick. With marble you also need a [b]strong[/b] underlayment to keep the tiles from cracking under pressure.

I'd pass on both and get a nice Springfield 1911 personally, but then I live in a log house!
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 9:53:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Marble will do well on cement slab, but will cost you a ton~ seen some really beautiful marble floors ala Godfather. Can chip, but if set solid will usually hold up to most anything other than cinderblocks dropped on it or steel.
Wood is durable, looks ok after you drop a cinder block on it and refinish it, doesn't hold up to water as well as rock but is cheaper.
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 9:59:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Personally, wood.  Especially if you livein an area that gets cold.

If you get either, get lots of area rugs, a GOOD vacum, broom and mop, especially if you have a dog.

My house has all wood floors.  I spend about an hour every Sat AM drinking coffee and sweep/mopping.  

They both are beautiful, but do have a maintenance  aspect.

BTW, CZs rule.  GEt one.  No pistol collection is complete without one.  Of course, the same is true of the M9.  Start with the CZ.

Link Posted: 10/20/2001 10:02:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Hardwood!  When I built my house, about 45 years ago, I didn't know much about building or materials.  Plus, I didn't have much money, so I had to use what I could find.  I put 12" (!) thick cut stone in the foyer that I got free from a friend who had it left over after building a bombshelter.  I used 1/2" thick 1' square marble tiles, that I got cheap from a college that was gutting a building to remodel, in my (one) bathroom and around the edge of my living room.  In the rest of the house, I used oak hardwood planks about 3" wide and 1/2" thick that a friend of mine made in his shop.  The edges of the stone are chipped and cracked.  They are dangerous to walk-on for anyone in high-heels because of the voids.  I've filled them with sand, but that isn't a good solution.  The marble is basically falling apart in the high traffic areas.  I've had to use concrete to fill-in.  It doesn't look good, but it works.  The hardwood, if it was refinished and a few boards replaced, would probably look as good as new.  My advise, go for the hardwood if you think you're going to stay in the house for 25+ years.  The marble looks "substantial," and would probably help with resale, but it is just too brittle to survive for long.  I think my problems with the stone were due to the fact that I had no idea what I was doing.z
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 10:45:54 AM EDT
[#5]
I don't have any experience with the marble but I do have red oak wood floors.  They are low maintenance compared to carpet and very long lasting. I purchased my house in 89 and had the wood floors refinished, they have held up well to  2 kids, a dog, me and my better half. The floors will probably have to be refinished again within the next 10 years.
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 10:56:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Wood floors. I have them throughout house. Best to have oak in high traffic areas.  Heartpine is probably the best of the best if you can afford it. Easy upkeep, last a lifetime or two.

I'd go with the M9.
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 11:06:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Why not marble in the entryway and wood everywhere else? That's a common thing out here.
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 12:37:07 PM EDT
[#8]
I would go with wood. I just like would floors. They have a nice warmth to it.

RE: CZ or Baretta 92, I would go with the CZ, cheaper for the pistols and 15 round mags are abound.  In my opinion, the CZ doesn't have Baretta's locking-block mechanism which I personally consider a weakness in the Barettas, whareas the CZ has the proven & dependable Browning Hi-Power system.  I have both, but my CZ has a rather tight chamber, so for now I can't shoot my handloads thru it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top