Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/16/2001 7:37:40 AM EDT
Tuesday, October 16
Jets' Robinson faces weapons charge
Associated Press
EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- Damien Robinson of the New York Jets was charged with possession of an assault rifle found in his car as he entered Giants Stadium.

The arrest took place several hours before the Jets beat the Miami Dolphins on Sunday. Robinson, a free safety, played in the game and was arraigned afterward.

Robinson could face up to five years in prison if convicted. He was released Sunday night on $7,500 bail, and the matter will be turned over to the prosecutor.

It was not clear why Robinson was carrying the assault weapon and ammunition in his sport utility vehicle.

Jets spokesman Frank Ramos said Tuesday the team will "let legal action take its course."

The players were off Monday and Tuesday, and Robinson was unavailable for comment. A message was left with his agent, James Gould.

Robinson was entering the players' parking lot at about 10 a.m. with his family when police searched his car, a procedure that has been in place for players, team and game officials and media since the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, State Police Sgt. Al Della Fave said Tuesday.

A bomb-sniffing dog checked the vehicle, and "he reacted positively to the presence of explosives" in the back of the car, Della Fave said. Robinson then told authorities he had a rifle, clips and ammunition in the back, Della Fave said.

Police found a Bushmaster .223 assault rifle, three high-capacity magazines that hold 30 rounds each, and two boxes of ammunition containing 100 rounds each.

The rifle and the magazines are illegal under a 1990 state law that bans the sale and possession of many kinds of automatic weapons.

Link Posted: 10/16/2001 7:41:36 AM EDT
[#1]
The rifle and the magazines are illegal under a 1990 state law that bans the sale and possession of many kinds of automatic weapons.

Say what? oh it was in New Jersey.....
Link Posted: 10/16/2001 7:43:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Unless the Bushie was in Pre-ban config it shouldn't have been a problem.  The article does say the mags would hold 30 rounds vs. NJ's 15 round limit.

This may be a good case to bury NJ's ass gun law.

Real impressive security, searching the team members' & officials' cars.  I'm sure one of them will turn out to be a terrorist someday.

Typical article, can't tell semi- from auto.
Link Posted: 10/16/2001 8:01:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Hey, I've been taking my AR15 and 8 fully loaded 30 round magazines to work with me since the WTC attack.
Link Posted: 10/16/2001 8:06:05 AM EDT
[#4]
What a stupid law, man, people from Jersey are eating it when it comes to what they can have.  I feel sorry for the gun owners, and hope it isn't a westward moving trend.

Let him go, was he using it for anything illegal? No.

Just my opinion,
Ice
Link Posted: 10/16/2001 8:10:55 AM EDT
[#5]
What in the world would he need all that fire power for?  I mean he's just a celeb with his family going to a very crowded place in NJ! If it were me, it would have prolly been loaded and in the front seat with me!  NJ laws SUCK.
Link Posted: 10/16/2001 8:13:09 AM EDT
[#6]
I believe in NJ, your weapon must be in post-banconfiguration, and cannot have the words "AR-15" or "Bushmaster" on it.  The 30 rounders must be blocked to 15.  

Stupid, stupid laws.
You can own a Springfield M1A, but not a Polytech M14s.
Link Posted: 10/16/2001 8:14:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Unless it was a select fire (fully automatic), then it was NOT an ASSULT RIFLE!!!

Link Posted: 10/16/2001 8:15:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Last time I checked AR-15s were semi-automatic
Link Posted: 10/16/2001 8:42:37 AM EDT
[#9]
The J-E-T-S Suck.

The whole team should be locked up for impersonating professional football players..
Link Posted: 10/16/2001 10:06:55 AM EDT
[#10]
New Jersey sucks.

I can't believe this crap can happen. Oh wait a minute. Yeah, I guess I can. Well all I can say is that the 15 conservative people in that state need to move down here to Texas. We have plenty of room for ya. Ya'll head on down, ya hear.

Let the pukes have it. They deserve each other anyway. And Maybe they'll vote Hillary in as their govenor next time

[puke]
Link Posted: 10/16/2001 10:33:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Only 100 rds?  shame on him

Perfect example of how stupid laws can be used to string up the unwary.

I sure hope he had the Mags limited to 15, oh well, at least he can afford a good attorney.
Link Posted: 10/16/2001 11:44:56 AM EDT
[#12]
perfect example of NRA creed---enforce the laws on the books-----I hope he fights it and he has the money to fight it big time.
Link Posted: 10/16/2001 11:48:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Unless it was a select fire (fully automatic), then it was NOT an ASSULT RIFLE!!!

View Quote

thats not right either ..even if it was full auto I can "assult" some one with a single shot 22lr or even a sling shot.
Link Posted: 10/16/2001 11:54:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Poor guy...he was just exercising his 2nd Amendment rights to self protection and gets popped. I would imagine that most of those Pro Athletes are weary of being in a stadium full of people with nothing but a cup and a helmet for protection. I hope they give him just a slap on the wrist. At least he has good taste in firearms.
Link Posted: 10/16/2001 12:13:12 PM EDT
[#15]
It sucks that the guy was charged for this as this is not a crime per 2nd amendment. It also sucks that this guy got special treatment that most of us would never receive.
Link Posted: 10/16/2001 12:24:15 PM EDT
[#16]
I am pissed, my Bushmaster AR-15 isn't "fully automatic", it must be defective I am sending it back to be fixed.
Link Posted: 10/16/2001 1:50:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
It sucks that the guy was charged for this as this is not a crime per 2nd amendment. It also sucks that this guy got special treatment that most of us would never receive.
View Quote

Oh? Why isnt it a crime against the second ammendment? Watch this, this could be the case to test out the new decision on [i]Emerson[/i] that came down today.
Link Posted: 10/16/2001 2:34:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/16/2001 2:40:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

thats not right either ..even if it was full auto I can "assult" some one with a single shot 22lr or even a sling shot.
View Quote

Yes, it is right.  If it is not full auto or burst, it is not an assault rifle.  It is not the same as assaulting someone.  
Link Posted: 10/16/2001 2:46:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Yeah, this is typical of life behind the curtain here.  Good old [b]S[/b]tate [b]S[/b]ecurity...  I mean, State Police.

Just to clear up a few points I saw posted above:

Bushmasters ARE NOT illegal in POST BAN config.  I own a couple and you can buy them everywhere.  (And yes, they do say Bushmaster on them)

High cap mags must be blocked down.  The "import" of high cap mags has been illegal for some time now so I guess they could force him to prove they were "pre-import ban pre-ban mags."

It seems like we are missing some facts here but, if the mags were blocked and the rifle was post ban and all three of these items were in separate containers and in the "trunk" of the vehicle, he did nothing wrong.  But, that's a lot of ifs.  But, the "ifs" are what give us NJ criminals, I mean, gun owners ulcers...

Oh yeah, there are 16 conservatives in NJ who would like to move to TX, thank you...[;)]
Link Posted: 10/16/2001 2:49:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Ted Nugent said it best.  "Assault Rifle?  If you want to assault someone you use a 12 gauge shotgun".
Link Posted: 10/16/2001 2:50:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

Yes, it is right.  If it is not full auto or burst, it is not an assault rifle.  It is not the same as assaulting someone.  
View Quote

Actually, NJ Title 2C (the criminal code) in the firearms section under the heading "Assualt Weapons" contains a list of specifically named weapons that are deemed "Assault Weapons."  Guess who's there????  And guess who else is illegal?  The Marlin Model 60 .22lr.  There are some floating around with "crimped" tubes to make them legal but, still completely f'in outrageous.  You can find it at the ATF site in their state listings.  Pretty ridiculous, huh?
Link Posted: 10/16/2001 2:57:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
What sucks is that he was arrested for doing something that is [b]LEGAL[/b] in other states. We are under one federal government, so why the different laws?
View Quote

State rights.  The federal government is supposed to have very limited powers with the rest left to the states.  Unfortunately, while the Second Amendment has been acknowledged repeatedly as an individual right, they still forget to remember the part about "shall not be infringed."

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 10/16/2001 3:32:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

Actually, NJ Title 2C (the criminal code) in the firearms section under the heading "Assualt Weapons" contains a list of specifically named weapons that are deemed "Assault Weapons."  Guess who's there????  And guess who else is illegal?  The Marlin Model 60 .22lr.  There are some floating around with "crimped" tubes to make them legal but, still completely f'in outrageous.  You can find it at the ATF site in their state listings.  Pretty ridiculous, huh?
View Quote
NJ law is full of 'Klinton' definitions.  I don't care what any state laws call them, if it is not capable of full auto or burst, it is not an assault rifle.
Link Posted: 10/16/2001 3:47:16 PM EDT
[#25]
The rifle was not fully automatic...so it is not an assault weapon.  It is an "assault weapon", i.e.; the phrase invented in the early 1980's by HCI to scare the sheeple.  Okay, that's outta the way.

Secondly....I don't agree with the laws at all, and I think he should be allowed to carry whatever he wants where-ever...but that was really stupid taking that gun and ammo to a professional sports stadium.  He was just asking for trouble there...not very smart at all.
Link Posted: 10/16/2001 3:55:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Hey, I've been taking my AR15 and 8 fully loaded 30 round magazines to work with me since the WTC attack.
View Quote

You lucked out & don't work in Jersey!
Link Posted: 10/16/2001 3:58:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
The J-E-T-S Suck.

The whole team should be locked up for impersonating professional football players..
View Quote

LMAO!!!  I hear that!
Link Posted: 10/16/2001 4:02:18 PM EDT
[#28]
He just moved from Florida where he probably did this all the time without fear of arrest.  Boy, how I hope he fights this.  It could end up being good for ALL gun owners.

-kill-9
Link Posted: 10/16/2001 4:04:16 PM EDT
[#29]
post ban ar's are definitely legal here in jersey---i know several people who shoot them in dcm matches.

as for the mags--they are NOT legal--have to have 15 rds. or less.

there is a motion before the supreme court of nj right now to hear whether the "assault weapons" ban is constitutional.  it's really a long shot but a few prayers for us trapped here certainly couldn't hurt.

also any support for bret schundler that any AR-15er could give would be greatly appreciated!!!

thanks,

earlybirdnj

Link Posted: 10/16/2001 4:06:29 PM EDT
[#30]
He had 2 boxes with 100 rounds each?  who sells ammo in 100 rd boxes in .223/5.56?  That and the fact that they called them "clips" again.

I really hate the media.

Even in NYC you have 24 hours to remove the "illegal gun" from the NYC area.  I can't belive they busted him for having an UNLOADED weapon in the back of his SUV.
Link Posted: 10/16/2001 4:21:55 PM EDT
[#31]
If you're so inclined, bump this thread on the Jets website: [url]http://www.newyorkjets.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=000168[/url]

It'd be great if he at least heard that we're out here supporting him.

-kill-9
Link Posted: 10/16/2001 4:30:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Thats good news on that Emerson decision. Guess that $1000.00  donation to Second Amendment Foundation really helped.

So from reading the decision it is now a INDIVIDUAL right....... Man I love that!
From my reading of the decision. The definition of arms refers to military arms or arms that the military currently uses right? Even better...maybe full auto in Cal someday.

Well that AR 15 is as close to military as that ball player can get.
Since it is now an individual right to bear arms don't all theose stupid laws now violate his right to keep and bear arms?

Man I hope the Second Amendment Foundation begins to sue the crap out of California soon for violation our individual right to keep and bear arms!!!!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top