Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/15/2001 4:44:44 PM EDT
I just purchased a new GMC truck and was thinking about getting a sprayed on bed liner.  Are the sprayed on liners worth the money?  How do they hold up?  Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 4:48:29 PM EDT
[#1]
I have Line X in mine.  It is great, but don't hang around when they put it on.[:)]  MAJOR grinding action to ensure a proper bond.  I had a week old truck done, and my jaw hurt from gritting my teeth at the sound of week old paint being removed.

They did an excellent job, and it is repairable if damaged by a load.
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 4:48:48 PM EDT
[#2]
I've been considering the same thing. Haven't heard anything negative about them.
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 4:56:16 PM EDT
[#3]
My best friend has a Rhino liner in his truck bed, we beat the hell out of it and he has a ranch so it sees abuse. The liner soaks it all up. Im planning on lining the tub of my jeep as soon as I get some money
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 4:59:50 PM EDT
[#4]
depends on the use of the bed of the truck. if you are hauling a lot in the bed of the truck, then you would be better off with a under the rail bed liner.the sprayed on do not hold up as well. it will scratch the truck.

[:)]
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 7:16:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
the sprayed on do not hold up as well. it will scratch the truck.
[:)]
View Quote

I'm curious as to how the spray on bed liner scratches the truck? Having had both, they each have advantages but I still prefer the spray on. Items placed in the bed do not slide around but it will fade in time. Most dealers will repair any damage (gouges etc), to the sprayed on finish for life.
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 8:39:56 PM EDT
[#6]
WT, Wait! Dont rush, think about it for a while. Once you commit theres no going back! I work for a place that sprayed the stuff(rhino)I was one of the first to have the spray on liner in my area. Lots of pros and cons, more cons. weight 50-70lbs., looks like shit when it gets old, hard to repair ect. Your truck will out last the liner, not the liner will out last your truck. Life time warrinty? for materials only not labor. If I could do it over again I would just splater paint my bed, at least if I beat it up its easy to redo. just my .02
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 8:50:19 PM EDT
[#7]
well, hurculiner you roll on your self. its cheaper aand easy to fix if goughed.
Link Posted: 10/16/2001 3:21:35 AM EDT
[#8]
oh, great, I had just made up my mind to go get this done, now .................. I dunno again
Link Posted: 10/16/2001 3:36:54 AM EDT
[#9]
I had my jeep rhino'd.   Took out everything except the dash and had it sprayed.  I am very happy and it is simple to wash with a hose.

My dad had Line-x done on this truck bed and it looks good.  I know that with my Rhino, if anything ever gets torn up, it has a lifetime warrenty.  Probably line-x has the same.   After 2 years, there is no discoloration with either the rhino or line-x.

My only problem with the line-x....  it is too grippy.  We had one of those things you attach to the tailgate and it lays down a fiber woven sheet.  You then fill up the truck with whatever... (dirt, multch, wood) and when it is time to empty, you roll it up and the truck is empty.  With the line-x it is impossible to use this anymore because the fiber sheet or whatever, won't slide against the line-x.

Link Posted: 10/16/2001 4:22:56 AM EDT
[#10]
There are advantages and disadvantages to both.
The sprayed in liners:
They look real nice when done properly and can even be color matched with the color of your truck or even an accent color if you choose. They are bonded to the truck bed so you do not have the rust problems you might have with a drop in liner. The down side is it's more expensive (almost 2X's the price of a drop in) and when gouged it can only be fixed by grinding out the damaged section and reapplying (the spray in stuff doesn't stick to itself so repairs are involved) so make sure the place that sprays it in is close to your home or work. It offers very little protection to denting the inside of the bed, don't throw heavy things carelessly into the bed.

Bed liners:
They stand up to much heavier abuse. They cah be had with seperators molded in for using boards to secure things in the bed. Cheaper and easier to install and can be replaced if damaged.
You may not beleive me on this one but there have been cases of bedliners becoming airborn at highway speeds and there is the possibility of causing injury to other drivers, I would guess they were either damaged or installed improperly, but this an incredibly rare occurance
Bed liners by design scratch up the inside of the bed, most good bedliners will come with a cushioned mat to put down in the bed before putting in the liner but the liner still rubs on the sides of the bed. The scratching and the possibility of getting moisture under the bed liner create a very real chance of rust. Exactly how many years that would take-?

Finally, for my favorite choice: [url]http://www.herculiner.com/[/url]
If you want to see a video of it being installed:
[url]http://www.herculiner.com/hercvideo.html[/url]
Its a bedliner that you can roll in yourself. Takes one whole day including prep time. Can be repaired easily as it will bond to itself if applied to a damaged area. Best part is the price, $99 at any Pep Boys store or other auto parts store although it is reccomended to buy an extra quart for $20 to be sure of adequite coverage.
The only major downside is that if you get the stuff on yourself and it dries it will have to wear away as once it dries there is nothing that will remove it from skin that will not also remove the skin.
It's what I've been planning to do to my truck but am too lazy, I will be doing it one of the upcoming weekends. I've seen a few sprayed in liners and they look good but I would rather spend the extra money on guns & ammo.
Link Posted: 10/16/2001 6:00:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Another me too post.

I've had Rhino Liner in the bed of my truck for about 2 years.  I bought the truck used and the bed was scratched all to hell, while the rest of the truck was pristine.  I figured the spray on would solve any potential rust problem, while a drop in would just cover it.

I've been very happy with the Rhino liner and would do it again.  It is tough stuff and unless you use your truck to carry wrought iron regularly, I don't think you'll ever need to worry about a repair.  For general use, I think the spray in is far more durable than a drop in.
Link Posted: 10/16/2001 10:06:47 AM EDT
[#12]
I love the Rhino brand.  Check out the photo gallery on this website:

[url]http://www.rhinonj.com/[/url]
Link Posted: 10/16/2001 10:16:35 AM EDT
[#13]
I had Rhino spray the bed (and top of the bed rails) of my Ranger in '95. The most it carries is dirt bikes, ATVs and associated gear, plus it spends most of the time sheltered in the garage. However, I still think it's the way to go. I watched them spray it on. At that time, prep work changed from the time I had my uncle's Dakota Rhino'ed a couple years before. At that time, they did do the bed grind. For my truck, it was some sort of chemical application of a bonding agent. My uncle's truck is a ranch truck so it gets lots of abuse, yet it's held up well in nearly 10 years. Only one small tear. In both trucks, the sun seems to have faded the black color a bit, but I hear that Rhino does have a color renewal agent available now. No big deal to me so I haven't investigated further. However, I'd go Rhino again without hesitation. [:)]
Link Posted: 10/16/2001 10:22:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Herculiner...[:D]

Ok, since I knew we'd eventually discuss Truck bed liners, I saved this one.

[url]http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?s=ff6ce34539b9782a543fd66e7fbad060&threadid=18595&perpage=20&pagenumber=1[/url]

It is a thread entitled, "How Do I Get Herculiner Off of My Hootus?!"

It had me howling.

OK, sorry, I have nothing construstive to add to this thread,(no pickup truck), but the thread is worth it.

Juggernaut
Link Posted: 10/16/2001 10:25:07 AM EDT
[#15]
I read that a few months ago, guy took some major shit for that one.

Repeat, Do Not get Herculiner on your skin,[u]any skin[/u]!
Link Posted: 10/16/2001 10:29:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Rhino spray on liner in my F150 bed.  Three years and and so far 2 chips the size of a nickel and 1 new gouge just this past weekend.  Haven't bothered to get them repaired.  I do like the no slip action when stuff is riding as compaired to the plastic drop ins.
Link Posted: 10/16/2001 4:08:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks for the info guys.  Juggernaut, if I decide to go with the Herculiner I'll make sure I keep it off my hootus.

This is what I like about this site whether its got to do with guns, trucks, etc., are just keeping Herculiner off your hootus the info is all here.
Link Posted: 10/16/2001 5:03:09 PM EDT
[#18]
I have the Rhino liner.  It stated in the warranty that it could be repaired nationwide at no cost.  I read that to mean no LABOR as well.  Is that wrong???????  Probably wont have the truck for more than 5-6 years anyhow, I'm sure it'll last that long.
Link Posted: 10/16/2001 5:45:00 PM EDT
[#19]
WilliamTell,

What part of Bama are you from. I live in Elmore County. I have a spray in bedliner and like it alot. I have been satified so far. Take Care.

Moose
Link Posted: 10/16/2001 6:34:50 PM EDT
[#20]
I have the factory ford bed liner in my f-150.  It is tough as hell.  I like the ridges in the floor that keep things from hitting or digging into the actual bed.  Every once and a while I take it out to check for rust.  It only rubs on two spots on the wheel wells about two square inches each.  No rust at all, I just hit them with a coat of rustoleum every time I take it out.  It fits nice and tight so there is no was it is going to come out on the highway never mind it being screwed in.  The only thing I do not like is it is very slippery surface and you have to tie down everything or it slides all over the place.  
Link Posted: 10/16/2001 6:57:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Moose,
 Thanks for the reply.  I live just north of Mobile.
Link Posted: 10/16/2001 7:11:31 PM EDT
[#22]
I had the tub of my blazer sprayed from fire wall to tail gate and up with linex. It looks great and is holding up extremely well. I went with linex because it is harder than rhino liner and i believe it is more durable. My dad has rhino in his truck bed and its gouged and rough in places and there are some drip marks when they applied it (its a truck though). The texure of either can vary as its the person applying that controls that. I looked at Rhino, permatex, and linex before i had my truck done. i liked permatex and linex equally as far as product goes, but the owner of the linex dealer was much more knowlegable and willing to work with me to meat my needs. The price was comparable give or take $50 between them. Cost was $580 +tax but i'm not sure if i could get the job done again for that price. The guy was just excited to do it since he'd never done a blazer.  
Link Posted: 10/16/2001 8:21:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Herculiner...[:D]

Ok, since I knew we'd eventually discuss Truck bed liners, I saved this one.

[url]http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?s=ff6ce34539b9782a543fd66e7fbad060&threadid=18595&perpage=20&pagenumber=1[/url]

It is a thread entitled, "How Do I Get Herculiner Off of My Hootus?!"

It had me howling.

OK, sorry, I have nothing construstive to add to this thread,(no pickup truck), but the thread is worth it.

Juggernaut
View Quote
Thanks for the laugh Juggernaut I laughed my ass off my wife came over to see what was going on , she got pissed at me for not wanting to eat dinner until I read most of what happend to the poor guy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top