Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/15/2001 1:30:34 PM EDT
I just applied for my concealed carry permit, and I'm thinking about getting a 92FS Custom Carry stainless.  I weigh 150, and I am 6 feet tall, so I am light framed.  What is the recommendation on the holster I should get for CCF?  I'm thinking a SOB or hip holster.  I'm also debating between leather and nylon.

Any recommendations?
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 1:45:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Have a look at "Kydex".  Not much maintenance and plenty of different styles available.
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 2:01:53 PM EDT
[#2]
There is a guy in the shotgun news that makes the to fit you,check it out.
I don't about the prices but they should not be to bad.

PS:Don't buy a fanny pack.
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 2:47:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Damn... that's gonna be hard to conceal... A 92 is pretty fat.  I'm 6'1" and about 190, and I would still feel odd carrying my 1911, but I probably would since it's so slender... small of the back would work good.  I'd think a hip holster with a 92 would be difficult for a slender person to conceal without some baggy clothes hanging over... SOB would be better, but it's still a wide gun...  

Link Posted: 10/15/2001 4:10:37 PM EDT
[#4]
By far the most versatile and concealable is the LFI Rig by www.tedblocker.com.   uses velco to attach holster to belt giving you unlimited carry stlyes and angles.

NEVER carry SOB.  One fall and you will break your back
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 4:36:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Everybody has their own personal observations on this subject, here are some of mine based on years of learning what works for me in the real world of discreet concealed carry:

Leather over Kydex or nylon for comfort and reliability.

Outside the Waistband (OWB) for comfort, ease of presentation. Inside the Waistband (IWB) is more discreet but harder to draw a full sized pistol from. Also, they usually hurt after several hours, and require different sized trousers. OK for J-frames and small Glocks if you must go IWB. SOB's are a bad choice!

Black or blue pistols hide better than stainless even though you are wearing concealing jackets or shirts. There are times when the possibility that shiny metal will flash even though pistol is for all practical purposes still concealed. Baretta's are rather large for 9mm, consider other choices.

Clothing is important. I prefer having my black pistol next to dark (black, usually) shirts and dark colored pants. I also like fleece vests or Pendleton type heavy shirts as an overshirt concealing the pistol. In hot weather, I go with shorts and T-shirts with dark patterened lightweight loose overshirt.

In super discreet environments I give up a little size and pack a J-frame in an ankle holster (Ken Null design) or an IWB.

Good luck
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 5:37:47 PM EDT
[#6]
I decided on the 92FS stainless, because it will not rust as easy from perspiration.  The 92 fits nice in my hands, and seems to be reliable.  I hope that if I ever do have to draw this, intimidation factor kicks in.  I also don't want something I detest to carry.

All I'm doing right now is doing my "homework".  Thanks everyone for responding.
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 6:40:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Yeah, I too did a doubletake when "92FS" and "concealed" were used in the same sentence.  However it can be done...

No argument from me about the 92FS...it's a fine sidearm to be there when you need it.  As the hours wear on and the pain/fatigue rises the more whichever gun/holster combo starts tenderizing you with each poke then you start thinking about other possibilities.

I won't pretend to say one carry combo is empirically better than another since it appears to be highly individualized.  I can however tell you what worked for me and why and then you can decide on your own.

First...even if you put up some dollars for a nice holster...don't rule out changing it if you need to.  Whether:
* you find that it doesn't fit well over an extended time
* for whatever reason you change jobs, etc. and you need a different type of carry such as wearing a suit or just wearing a tucked in shirt
* or even your body type changes enough to demand a change in carry

I tried a few of the soft leather and nylon clip-on IWB holsters with my Glock.  While they technically kept the gun in place for the most part, when I bought a nice rigid IWB holster it was a world of difference.  I got mine from Aker though a number of brands such as Mitch Rosen and others look like they're high quality too.

I've tried a few of the nonstandard type carries with mixed results and find myself going back to a nice IWB holster for the Glock.
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 8:36:03 PM EDT
[#8]
"I hope that if I ever do have to draw this, intimidation factor kicks in. I also don't want something I detest to carry."

Let me be the one who bursts your bubble; imtimidation factor is in the eye of the beholder, i.e., if you expect the look of a stainless Beretta 92 is going to scare who you think it will, it won't!

A non-stainless pistol will not rust unless you wear it all day, never shoot it, and generally disregard it. Stainless or nickel is OK for what you want, I just pointed out a tiny consideration about shine and concealment. What you do with that information is up to you. If you are new to concealed carry or handguns in general you may find yourself changing pistols down the road anyway, I did. My first handgun was a Smith and Wesson 4506 large frame .45 cal auto (stainless steel), a big gun for carry and then I scaled down to a Glock 22 for carry. I could see changing to another pistol in .45 or 10mm, or, .357Sig but not to 9mm. That's just personal choice. The 40 S&W is a good balance of speed and power for me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top