Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/15/2001 4:15:57 AM EDT
What I am asking is this, is there a point where we will have a massive escalation in the number of cases??  I know this is not an infectious disease following an exponential function. ???  Any information would be helpful

Benjamin
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 11:02:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
What I am asking is this, is there a point where we will have a massive escalation in the number of cases??  I know this is not an infectious disease following an exponential function. ???  Any information would be helpful

Benjamin
View Quote

This is the question that has been on my mind.  We've been primed for a public health catastrophe, but so far, very limited effect (with great respect to the unfortunate individuals who have been affected).  Anybody?
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 12:08:41 PM EDT
[#2]
No,anthrax is not contagious and not spread human to human.
cpermd
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 12:12:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Dude it already broke open.  Here is the deal. If you get a letter filled with white powder, you have two choices. One, you can call the CDC ASAP.  They will give you some medicine and you will probably be ok.

Or two, you can lick the inside of the envelope, wait 2-3 weeks for the disease to fully infect you, and then you will die.

Its your call.

-SS
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 12:24:32 PM EDT
[#4]
It's not contagious. Onset is usually a few days (<10) after exposure, with a maximum observed onset of about 45 days.

For a military application you don't want it to be contagious, and you want it to not be dangerous in the environment a few days after application. Generally the spores just fall to the ground, where they don't pose a danger.

In terms of effectiveness it has to be rated a bust so far.

Link Posted: 10/15/2001 12:34:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Why Anthrax?  It just doesn't seem very effective.  Does anyone think there could be a lot of people who have unknowingly been exposed but haven't taken ill yet?  I thought someone on here (an M.D.) that incubation for pulmonary Anthrax was 30 - 60 days.  Is this incorrect?  
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 12:42:09 PM EDT
[#6]
It's all about Terror.
They don't need to kill many,
They just want to frighten the heard.
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 12:43:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 12:52:00 PM EDT
[#8]
I thought someone on here (an M.D.) that incubation for pulmonary Anthrax was 30 - 60 days. Is this incorrect?
View Quote

Three to five days is more typical.
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 1:05:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
It's all about Terror.
They don't need to kill many,
They just want to frighten the heard.
View Quote

Good point.  They're doing a pretty good job of that...right before cold/cough season.
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 1:56:53 PM EDT
[#10]
So you would still see the contamination from a fixed source, OFFICE, etc.  And the Number of people who are exposed from that point may reach a huge number if there are sufficient numbers of people inside the area before the first person infected shows symptoms.

So from 5 to 6 days earliest to upwards of 45 days at the latest. Some letters were mailed what did I hear the 25th of september.  So onwards into December at the earliest it could quit down some.  So there would probably be point where the numbers of reported/tested symptoms show up in larger numbers.  But not for the same reasons as an infectious disease. Okay.  However something people are not pointing out is even though it is not an infectious disease it is still possible to carry the spores around on clothing/hair, etc.  So in effect with a certain type of exposure you could in theory infect 1 more person. Jesus, I knew something was bothering me about what we were being told.  I am getting to frickin slow in my Young Age.  THEY ARE IN EFFECT STILL CONTAGIOUS UNDER CERTAIN CIRCUMSTANCES.  I Knew something didn't add up.

Benjamin
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top