Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/12/2007 6:08:57 PM EDT
OMG!  I was just filling up with gas at 45th and Bell here in Amarillo and it is .29 cents a gallon. I asked the clerk about all the cars lined up because it still showed 2.79 a gallon.  She said there is a major problem and the premium is registering at .29/gallon. Word of mouth spreads fast!!  Cars are backed up to my apartment!!  Awesome!!  I'm sure this will be on the news!  Some young guys were actually filling up a 32 gallon trash can in the back of their pickup!!!!  Can we say stupid????!!!
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 6:10:08 PM EDT
[#1]
I cannot believe they would not just shut down the premium pump.
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 6:11:38 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 6:12:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Wow that's more than 3 gallons for just a penny!
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 6:12:34 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I'm certain their manager will be along shortly. This type of thing has happened here before, and it doesn't take long.
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 6:12:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Hey, if they'll continue selling at that price, go get it.

Link Posted: 8/12/2007 6:13:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Wish I was in Amarillo, Id have every can I could  buy filling it up....
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 6:13:55 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Got me!
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 6:16:02 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Where did you get that number?

He just  said it was 29 cents a gallon
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 6:16:06 PM EDT
[#9]
about six months ago i was filling up and used my CC to prepay... looked down and the pump said 1.79 instead of 2.79...

so i filled up, then went inside and had the following conversation

me: just wanted to let you know your pumps are showing 1.79 out there.

clerk: did you already fill up?

me: yep!

clerk: well we need to get the difference from you then

me: nope!

*cling cling* out the door.
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 6:17:09 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Look at the thread title.

Link Posted: 8/12/2007 6:57:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Well I guess the fun is over.  The pumps are clear.
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 6:59:11 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
what would you guys say if I told you i thought that taking advantage of a pump error is stealing?  You DO owe the difference in price.

no you dont, especially if its operator error.  if it says "$.1 per gallon" on the pump itself its not stealing, its really cheap gas.  the pump is a meter, not YOUR responsibility to check the validity of the shown price.
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 7:00:53 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
what would you guys say if I told you i thought that taking advantage of a pump error is stealing?  You DO owe the difference in price.

i'd ask you if that covered dumbass employee error...

then i'd say if they want their 12 bucks they're more than welcome
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 7:22:40 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Some young guys were actually filling up a 32 gallon trash can in the back of their pickup!!!!

Was it these guys?

Link Posted: 8/12/2007 7:30:42 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Some young guys were actually filling up a 32 gallon trash can in the back of their pickup!!!!

Was it these guys?

www.hunt101.com/img/510924.bmp

LOL!!!!    That's them!!!!!  LOL!!
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 7:33:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Well, it's definitely over.  I had to go back and get quarters for my laundry and they said they got it fixed.  I got back to my place and  my daughter called and said she went up there and it was too late. The big wigs and channel 7 was there when she was.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 7:26:46 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

What if the employess know they are selling at 29c/gallon and continue to do so?
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 7:36:41 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I'm with you on this one.

If I notice an error, I'm not gonna screw the person or company. That's taking advantage of someone and simply isn't right.

I gotta ask...if someone gives you the wrong amount of change, do you point it out or walk away knowing there was an error?

Link Posted: 8/13/2007 7:46:40 AM EDT
[#19]
+1

What is it with people these days when they know a mistake is made, but will just take full advantage of the situation?  They know someone is getting ripped of, but they just don't care if they can profit and get away with it.  It shows a complete lack of decent character.

Anyone who does this is just a thieving scumbag.  

Quoted:

Quoted:

If I notice an error, I'm not gonna screw the person or company. That's taking advantage of someone and simply isn't right.

I gotta ask...if someone gives you the wrong amount of change, do you point it out or walk away knowing there was an error?

Link Posted: 8/15/2007 3:46:32 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What if the employess know they are selling at 29c/gallon and continue to do so?

then they are an accessory to your theft!!!  you guys are morally bankrupt.  That the employee does ont know of the error makes no difference, you ARE aware and made a conscious decision to perform a "theft by deception."  same as changing the price tags on merchandise, or "finding" them that way and playing innocent.  Shame on you guys, and you ARE the reason why this Country is going to hell in a handbasket.

EDIT I see Cna and VA Caver agree with me, so I'm not completely alone on this..

as for those who think wrong is right, I 'm going to pin the rose - you are thieves, shameful lowlife thieves who don't know right from wrong.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 9:09:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Are you guys forgeting how the oil companys are scewing all of us each day?
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 9:15:34 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do you work for Verizon, by chance?
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 9:16:37 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

While I'd normally agree with you, these are the same folks who raise the pump price every time Sheik Whos Bin Fartin sneezes, based on an expected increase in their costs...

not an actual (right here, right now) increase, but one they anticipate, before the truck pulls up with the delivery invoice at $x/gal.

That's taking advantage of us, isn't it?

If my shopping options were limited, and the same person had repeatedly ignored my legitimate complaint that they hadn't returned enough change for purchases in the past, maybe I would.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 9:17:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Man I would be all over that like flies on shit.

Fill up the Tahoe.

Fill up the honda.

Fill up the mower.

Fill up my extra cans.

Link Posted: 8/16/2007 5:06:49 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

While I'd normally agree with you, these are the same folks who raise the pump price every time Sheik Whos Bin Fartin sneezes, based on an expected increase in their costs...

not an actual (right here, right now) increase, but one they anticipate, before the truck pulls up with the delivery invoice at $x/gal.

That's taking advantage of us, isn't it?

If my shopping options were limited, and the same person had repeatedly ignored my legitimate complaint that they hadn't returned enough change for purchases in the past, maybe I would.

just because you consider free market economics and capitalism "stealing" doesn't make it morally right for you to engage in ACTUAL STEALING to make it right!  
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 5:08:37 AM EDT
[#26]
this thread is full of thieves to ethically corrupt to even realize stealing is wrong...

I just don't get you people...
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 5:24:32 AM EDT
[#27]
I'd expect to see people cheering this on DU to spite the evil oil companies, but this is no different than the guy who stole the power washer and bragged about it here.  Cashier error is cashier error and you taking advantage of it is theft, imho.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 5:31:11 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
just because you consider free market economics and capitalism "stealing" doesn't make it morally right for you to engage in ACTUAL STEALING to make it right!  

Far from it. And I hate to disappoint you, but I don't own a skateboard, cardboard signs that say "DOWN WITH BUSH and the WTO" or a black "hoodie" too wear during my "screw the system" demonstrations (aka "it's an excuse to trash the Starbucks and loot the sneaker store")

I'm not a NAFTA fan but as one of the (OK, the only) conservative at my liberal Liberal Arts college I often argued in favor of Mr. Smith's "invisible hand".

If anything, I'm upset at the fact that government, through vain attempts at supposed "environmental protection" have restricted the flow (pun intended) of petroleum products from distributors to the point where supply can name their price, due to limited sources.

Here's my further take.

When I worked at the grocery store (right after UPC scanners had been 95% debugged) the prices were set in the following order of priority at the register:

Tag on the item itself
Shelf price
UPC

Now, part of the "check and balance" to avoid WalMart style "entrepeneurs" who bring their own price tags with "$1.99" pre printed on them was to "strike" the UPC with a marker, thus rendering it unreadable, or to place the tag in such a fashion as to obstruct the code from the scanner. The cashiers had instructions that they needed to call for price checks if the item still rang up in the system.

The price was an error, but it was one made by the vendor, not by someone who was able to reverse-hack the pricing computer from a pump terminal.

That would also be theft.

If we are going to apply the "free market" and noble sentiment to the argument, then are all of us who ran around to WalMart before the various increases in shelf prices for ammo guilty of theft as well, because we paid $13.68 rather than $16 a box for 100 of WWB in 9mm?

ACTUAL STEALING - filling up vehicle and driving away from pump, regardless of price.

SITUATION AS DESCRIBED - "taking advantage of fluctuating market dynamics in a free market".

Link Posted: 8/16/2007 5:33:44 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Are you guys forgeting how the oil companys government are scewing all of us each day?
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 5:39:58 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Are you guys forgeting how the oil companys government are scewing all of us each day?

Back in 2002 (IIRC) the IL General Assembly under Republican Governor George "graft" Ryan, responded to $2.50/gal prices by suspending the state tx on gasoline.

Under Democrat Rod "grab them gunz" Blagojevich? Nary a peep.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 5:00:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Deuteronomy 22
Sundry Laws
1"(A)You shall not see your countryman's ox or his sheep straying away, and pay no attention to them; you shall certainly bring them back to your countryman.

2"If your countryman is not near you, or if you do not know him, then you shall bring it home to your house, and it shall remain with you until your countryman looks for it; then you shall restore it to him.

3"Thus you shall do with his donkey, and you shall do the same with his garment, and you shall do likewise with anything lost by your countryman, which he has lost and you have found. You are not allowed to neglect them.

4"You shall not see your countryman's donkey or his ox fallen down on the way, and pay no attention to them; you shall certainly help him to raise them up.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 6:26:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 6:38:28 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Are you guys forgeting how the oil companys are scewing all of us each day?

Yep, they sure are screwing you.  They are doing the same to me, just this morning, I needed gas, and some guy from Exxon came to my house and made me fill up the tank at gunpoint.

If only I could have refused to buy it because I thought it was much more expensive, but I was forced to....

Why don't you go invest in Exxon yourself, since it's obviously so profitable, and guaranteed money, just mosey on down to your local stockbroker, and tell him you need 100 shares of XOM.

Or do your communist  beliefs prevent you from investing in publicly traded companies?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top