Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/14/2001 8:49:35 PM EDT
AMHERST, Massachusetts (CNN) -- As Americans embrace the U.S. flag in a show of defiance against terrorists, the red, white and blue has stirred up controversy in a New England town.
It started in August when the town of Amherst put up a set of 29 flags at the urging of a group of veterans. Around Labor Day, the flags came down.
Veterans said it was because of complaints, but town officials said the removal was always scheduled, pending a public debate and vote.
On September 10, the Select Board voted 4-1 to fly the flags on six specified holidays. Other flags fly year-round at the town common and the police and fire stations.
During the debate, University of Massachusetts physics professor Jennie Traschen offered a controversial take on what the American flag means.
"It's a symbol of terrorism and death and fear and destruction and repression," she told the Select Board.
Here email her...
[email protected] http://www.physics.umass.edu/directory/profile$key=Traschen,+Jennie
Man I hate when people like her get entrenched and get tenure.
People like her are the reason I hate academia.
Their ideas are too stupid or outlandish to get support in the private sector so they must go and teach somewhere
Link Posted: 10/14/2001 8:59:41 PM EDT
[#1]
It finally dawned on me when I was i Russia. A man was telling me the process by which his country became free from the USSR. "We gave written petition, and then we were given our freedom". Run that bloody rag up the flagpole baby! The stripes symbolize the bandages because our freedoms and our rights were taken! Wave it in their faces! It will be blood before anything changes here.
Link Posted: 10/14/2001 9:03:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/14/2001 9:03:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Please post a complete artical...... or a link.

Need more info......
Link Posted: 10/14/2001 9:19:51 PM EDT
[#4]
That's right, Baby, And damn proud of it. just ask the citizens of Dresden, Berlin, Hiroshima, Nagasaki, Tokyo, etc.  Payback is a bitch!

Buy property in Kabul, it will be the next great metropolis, after we rebuild it.
Link Posted: 10/14/2001 9:23:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Come on boys and girls lets throw a bunch of emails at her and the chancellors office.

professor Jennie Traschen;[email][email protected][/email]

Marcellette G. Williams
Chancellor (Interim); [email][email protected][/email]
Link Posted: 10/14/2001 10:13:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
please spell "flag" correctly....
View Quote

sorry typo :(
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 12:04:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Could it be?.....It just might be the first target of the AR15 army. All it will take is for Steyr to give the order and this bitch will be in the middle of a shit sandwich[:D]  [uzi]
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 3:28:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Here's a CNN link

[url]http://www.cnn.com/2001/US/10/14/rec.flag.dispute/index.html[/url]
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 3:32:38 AM EDT
[#9]
THistle,

There are more important ways to protect america going after acedemia. They are harmless

Ben

Link Posted: 10/15/2001 3:49:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
THistle,

There are more important ways to protect america going after acedemia. They are harmless

Ben

View Quote

Yeah, they are just brainwashing the next generation, you know, YOUR children...[:(!]
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 4:01:02 AM EDT
[#11]
This professor of "higher education" obviously has no F'ing clue.  She is not an American.

Guz
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 3:26:08 PM EDT
[#12]
i just practiced my right to free speech by telling that silly cunt to FUCK OFF!!![-i-i-]
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 5:38:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
THistle,

Ben

View Quote

Yeah, they are just brainwashing the next generation, you know, YOUR children...[:(!]
View Quote

Agreed platform. I'm sure the professors at any collage have never influnaced thier students with any of thier own ideas.[soapbox] [uzi]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top