Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/14/2001 5:10:22 PM EDT
I'm sure this is a question that has been asked and answered many times here, but I've obviously missed them.

I have a bad habit of taking at least seven or eight rifles and three or four handguns at a time.  And yes, I usually end up shooting most of them before the day is over.

Keep in mind that I only get out to the range about once every two or three months and when I do I make a whole day of it.  I usually get to the range about 9 and leave about 4, after having sent about 1k rounds down range.
I'll usually go on a Saturday and spend the next morning cleaning guns.

How about you guys?
Link Posted: 10/14/2001 5:33:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Between 1 and 4.I only get out once every three or four months.My best day has been 9 hours.
Link Posted: 10/14/2001 5:54:26 PM EDT
[#2]
I prefer frequency over duration. I find my accuracy deteriorates after time. I ussually take one pistol, one shotgun and one rifle.

Of course I have a 160 acre plot an hour outside of town, so I usually go three times a month in summer and once a month in winter.
Link Posted: 10/14/2001 5:54:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Most of my shooting is done in the mountains about 5 hours from here. I just got back today and i took  two AR'S  preban 16" car A-1  20" flat top gov barrel, 10fp savage in .223 . Imbel FAL and a Marlin 883 22 mag.   I usually shoot them all ALOT!!
Link Posted: 10/14/2001 6:05:34 PM EDT
[#4]
I usually bring 2-4 toys. I take a ton of ammo with me though.
Link Posted: 10/14/2001 6:09:47 PM EDT
[#5]
I usually shoot 2-3X/week, when my kids are in school for about an hour or so, at the local ranges I'm a member of.

I bring along either the AR (ArmaLite M15A2) or a bolt-action (usually 8mm Yugo M24/47 Mauser or Long Lee-Enfield [CLLE]), but I also always bring along a pistol (9X18 Makarov). I find lately the pistol is the one I practice with the most, usually about 35-50 rounds each session. Maks are a lot of fun, and the ammo's cheap.

The bolt actions I'll shoot about 20-30 milsurp rounds, max. The AR- well, I could shoot it all day, but replacing that huge pile of brass is getting harder (and more expensive) to do....time to get a .22 LR kit for it, I think.

So, two guns at a time at the range, and I'll try and clean them as best as I can when I'm there, since it's usually deserted during the day, and I disturb nobody with it. Otherwise I clean the guns in the afternoon when the kids come home, so I can watch them while they are playing outside, AND become habituated to seeing guns all the time, so they don't have to swallow all the anti-gun fear programming they hear at school.

Anyway, as the man said, frequency is the key. I don't have years of muscle memory in my body for shooting- I got a late re-start on shooting as an adult, so I have to keep it up, or else I get lots of flyers :^). Even 10 shots with each gun in a session might be worth it, because, esp. lately, I try to make each shot count.

I don't own any shotguns (yet), but once in a while I'll take out the flintlocks and blast away with them- always fun, and a challenge (Esp. with the Brown Bess).
Link Posted: 10/14/2001 6:34:44 PM EDT
[#6]
four or five
Link Posted: 10/14/2001 6:50:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Usually about 4 or 5.  I used to bring much more, but it just became too much between all the ammo, spares, tools, and various other support equipment.  You know its getting bad when 2 guys can't fit all their gear in a Suburban.
Link Posted: 10/14/2001 6:56:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Usually between 3 and 7. At least once a month. 200 to 1200 rnds later I come home. Always a good time.

Guncrazy223
---------------------------------------
Some People are only alive because it's illegal to kill them.
Link Posted: 10/14/2001 7:16:14 PM EDT
[#9]
My range is right behind my house, so I have all of my firearms ready whenever I want them.  It sure is nice living out in the country!

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 10/14/2001 7:20:45 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a tendency to over equip and under frequent...
It makes cleaning an absolute bitch of a chore.

I'll be heading out to the ranges this week and will make every attempt to keep the whole thing to a minimum so as to maximize my time there.  Does that make sense??

In other words; take less; shoot mo' betta!
Link Posted: 10/14/2001 7:21:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/14/2001 7:25:52 PM EDT
[#12]
All depends on what I plan on doing at the range; I always plan on working on some technique when I am there. Most of the time it's between 2-4 firearms and about 500- 600 rounds combined.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top