Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 8/7/2007 9:48:15 PM EDT

YouTube Video

Good to see him knowing and exercising his rights, and good to see the LEOs being respectful while they learn about his rights.

I thought for sure his friend would get thrown to the ground at 2:15 for waving his hand 6 inches in front of the cop's face.
Link Posted: 8/7/2007 10:29:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Hell I like.  Bought time good people stirred the shit storm for once.
Link Posted: 8/7/2007 10:30:49 PM EDT
[#2]
So what would have happened if the officer ordered him to get off the phone?
Link Posted: 8/7/2007 10:34:32 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm glad to see level headed Officers, but I could see that ending a different way somewhere else.
Link Posted: 8/7/2007 10:40:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Good thing he had a cell phone, someone video taping and multiple witnesses. Could have been a lot worse. Where is the picture "Its not good to be right when the government is wrong"?
Link Posted: 8/7/2007 10:44:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Blocking a sidewalk...if it's a gathering, isn't that protected under right to assemble or am I missing something?
Link Posted: 8/7/2007 10:52:29 PM EDT
[#6]
In my untrained opinion, that bald headed officer would have been within reason to have at least hooked striped shirt guy up for interfering with official business or similar violation.

I also agree that there would have been weeping and gnashing of teeth had this incident not been overtly recorded.
Link Posted: 8/7/2007 10:52:37 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Blocking a sidewalk...if it's a gathering, isn't that protected under right to assemble or am I missing something?

Have to get permits?  

But all they would have to do is line up along the fence and voila, no "blocking of sidewalk".
Link Posted: 8/7/2007 10:55:32 PM EDT
[#8]
3 or more people is blocking traffic ?  WTF

Get ready for the Six Acts.

Hell some are already on the books in several states.

The acts were:

The Training Prevention Act (or Unlawful Drilling Act) (60 Geo. III & 1 Geo. IV c. 1) made any person attending a meeting for the purpose of receiving training or drill in weapons liable to arrest and transportation. More simply stated, military training of any sort was to be conducted only by municipal bodies and above.

The Seizure of Arms Act (60 Geo. III & 1 Geo. IV c. 2) gave local magistrates the powers to search any private property for weapons and seize them and arrest the owners.

The Seditious Meetings Prevention Act (60 Geo. III & 1 Geo. IV c. 6) required the permission of a sheriff or magistrate in order to convene any public meeting of more than 50 people if the subject of that meeting was concerned with "church or state" matters. Additional people could not attend such meetings unless they were inhabitants of the parish.

The Blasphemous and Seditious Libels Act (or Criminal Libel Act) (60 Geo. III & 1 Geo. IV c. 8) toughened the existing laws to provide for more punitive sentences for the authors of such writings. The maximum sentence was increased to fourteen years transportation.

The Misdemeanours Act (60 Geo. III & 1 Geo. IV c. 4) attempted to increase the speed of the administration of justice by reducing the opportunities for bail and allowing for speedier court processing.

The Newspaper and Stamp Duties Act (60 Geo. III & 1 Geo. IV c. 9) extended and increased taxes to cover those publications which had escaped duty by publishing opinion and not news. Publishers also were required to post a bond for their behaviour.

"Live free or die" State my ass.
Link Posted: 8/7/2007 10:55:36 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Have to get permits?  

But all they would have to do is line up along the fence and voila, no "blocking of sidewalk".

Yeah but the officer said any more than 3 of them and they would be blocking the sidewalk.  Couldn't he twist that around and say even on the fence they're blocking the "flow of traffic" as he put it?
Link Posted: 8/7/2007 11:00:30 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Have to get permits?  

Yeah but the officer said any more than 3 of them and they would be blocking the sidewalk.  Couldn't he twist that around and say even on the fence they're blocking the "flow of traffic" as he put it?

If they were single file or their backs up against hte fence talking to each other, theres no way in hell that would hold up anywhere.  Especially if it were videotaped.

So I mean, its possible the cop coulda said it but it woulda been thrown out faster than a fat kid in dodgeball.
Link Posted: 8/7/2007 11:15:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Observation 1; Dave's buddy wasn't helping, Dave should have told him to STFU!
Observation 2; Crossdraw with a Safety strap?
Link Posted: 8/7/2007 11:17:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Irrespective of the fact that the guy on the phone was weeeellllll within his rights apparently (Im not well versed on NH's open carry statutes) Good on this group for asserting their rights in a reasonable and lawful manner.

Im also glad to see that the LEO's were also level-headed and fair. The DPS officer did the right thing in requesting further assistance from a supervisor in my opinion. He didnt go "cowboy", which unfortunately he probably could have done and got away with. Both were harmonius in this situation ending the way it should have.

Believe you me, In other state's and jurisdiction's this situation could have ended much worse.  In NY, we are not lawfully required to declare that we are carrying whether in a vehicle stop or otherwise. Keeping in mind that "Open carry" doesnt exist in NY. I have heard horror stories of lawfully accreddited CCW permit holder's being handled much more "thouroghly" after LEO's arriving on scene were availed of that fact.
Link Posted: 8/7/2007 11:24:26 PM EDT
[#13]
I was waiting for the cop to ask him to hand over his weapon "for everyones saftey" while he was "talking" to him. I have read about that happening to ppl during traffic stops, after providing the officer with their concealed permits, and informing them they are armed.  
Link Posted: 8/7/2007 11:45:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Those officers were very professional and did things the right way. When you see the cover officer with his hands in his pockets I do not think it is "ready to strike".

The rest of the group, including Dave, are a bunch of assholes. There are things in life that you CAN do but that are still a STUPID thing to do. Rolling around in urban areas open carrying is a good way to see that right taken away. What a bunch of asses.

I hope Dave gets his ass kicked and when he asks the officer to try to find out who did it the officer tells him, "I'm not required to do that. Policy only says I have to take a report." What a dick.

Bitch at me all you want, I have had my fill of the GD for a while.
Link Posted: 8/7/2007 11:49:11 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Those officers were very professional and did things the right way. When you see the cover officer with his hands in his pockets I do not think it is "ready to strike".

The rest of the group, including Dave, are a bunch of assholes. There are things in life that you CAN do but that are still a STUPID thing to do. Rolling around in urban areas open carrying is a good way to see that right taken away. What a bunch of asses.

I hope Dave gets his ass kicked and when he asks the officer to try to find out who did it the officer tells him, "I'm not required to do that. Policy only says I have to take a report." What a dick.

See ya !  

Link Posted: 8/8/2007 6:22:01 AM EDT
[#16]

bump
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 6:39:11 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

A right that you shouldn't exercise becuase you might lose it for doing such?  I hope you didn't put a lot of thought into that one.
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 6:43:09 AM EDT
[#18]
That drunk guy was not helping.
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 6:54:03 AM EDT
[#19]
maybe I'll carry open today and see what happens
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 6:57:55 AM EDT
[#20]
On a lighter note, there were 4 police officers - that's more than 3 ... they were blocking traffic!

Actually I think the whole situation was handled in a reasonable, respectful, manner.  Dave wasn't going off on the officer, and was calm himself, which probably put the officer at ease as well.

I think if you are respectful towards someone (officer or otherwise), they will act respectful back.  The guy in the striped shirt was dancing on the line, tho.
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 7:06:30 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
How the hell does Google's system list "Related" videos?  What the hell does gun rights have to do with hating Jews?

Good question.

WTF?

Wanna bring Jews into the picture, link to the Jews for the Preservation of Forearms Ownership (JPFO) a fine organization of 2nd Amendment protectors and I am a proud member.

5sub
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 7:06:37 AM EDT
[#22]
The cop was waaaay more tolerant in the begining than I would have been.

"I won't give you any identification."

"Why do you want me to hang up the phone?"

The guy is being a dick.

ETA - And then this other smart ass buttinski. I'd've run 'em both in.
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 7:28:43 AM EDT
[#23]
Did you guys read the comments?.........HOLY SHIT..............one person wrote basically "what if he he had gone on a shotting rampage and the cops had not stopped him!!!!? WHAT IF MY ASS!!!!....The guy was doing nothing illegal!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 7:28:51 AM EDT
[#24]
does run them in aka for Arrest them? The guy open carrying did nothing wrong why was he being asked for his ID to begin with.

I have been told by more than one officer that here in Michigan if I open carry i will be arrested for causing a public disturbance. Open carry is legal ad there are laws concerning it.
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 7:35:38 AM EDT
[#25]
tagged for lunch time
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 7:42:04 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Did you guys read the comments?.........HOLY SHIT..............one person wrote basically "what if he he had gone on a shotting rampage and the cops had not stopped him!!!!? WHAT IF MY ASS!!!!....The guy was doing nothing illegal!!!!!

Youtube comment posters aren't exactly near the top end of the human IQ spectrum, you know.

I call as my first witness the dipstick who I saw complaining in the comments on a military video about how our troops were cowards because they used body armor and tanks and helicopters rather than just facing the bad guys in a "fair" fight.

Link Posted: 8/8/2007 7:49:29 AM EDT
[#27]
while the two "victims" were well within their rights, it sure sounded like they were trying to instigate a conflict.  
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 8:04:32 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
while the two "victims" were well within their rights, it sure sounded like they were trying to instigate a conflict.  

For being informed of the LAW?   For exercising their right to carry?  Legally?

Maybe you should watch that again - they weren't doing a damn thing wrong or illegal.

Your attitude is exactly why we're on this political slippery slope.  Gonna stop carrying concealed because someone "thinks it's not a good idea"?

CMOS
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 8:11:28 AM EDT
[#29]
When Mr Tubesocks started waving his hand in front of the officer who was trying to monitor the situation, in my opinion he was interfering with police.
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 8:16:08 AM EDT
[#30]
Not long ago some "Concerned Citizens" called the cops because they saw a man open carrying and they were nervous seeing somebody walking around with a gun on their hip.

Net result was our Attorney General made it clear in no uncertain terms that everyone in this state has the right to keep and bear, and that the whiners (most of whom are just Massholes driving up here for the weekend to save 5% on sales tax) do NOT have the right to NOT feel nervous about open carry.
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 8:20:42 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Not long ago some "Concerned Citizens" called the cops because they saw a man open carrying and they were nervous seeing somebody walking around with a gun on their hip.

Net result was our Attorney General made it clear in no uncertain terms that everyone in this state has the right to keep and bear, and that the whiners (most of whom are just Massholes driving up here for the weekend to save 5% on sales tax) do NOT have the right to NOT feel nervous about open carry.
.........WORD!!

I have open carries up here around Littleton and I get a few looks but mostly people just go about their business.......................It is my God given right after all!!!!
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 8:35:14 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I do not find it hard to believe that the police reacted that way.

In my expirence, police do not like law abiding citizens being armed.

The Police reacted fine.

They learned that what he did was legal, and explained that if he does it with more than 3 people, it becomes illegal, probably some law about something else that would apply here.

What the guy did was great.  He was respectful and it worked out.

I have no major problem.  It would be better if the cops saw it and did nothing because they knew it was legal, but still, they were fine.

TXL
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 8:39:46 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Looked detained to me.

He was certainly not free to leave. It would have been interesting to see the cops react to him briskly walking away. Regardless, the length and scope of the detention was not unreasonable.

No question, those cops didn't have a clue. That was uncomfortable to watch and very embarrassing for LE. How about Mr. Incredible pretending to scribble notes and talk into his radio - trying to maintain the appearance of control and authority.

I loved Inspector Gadget there at the end trying to salvage what little dignity and authority the cops had left. He was grasping at straws – ready to yank down signs? Blocking the flow of foot traffic? I am surprised he didn’t bust out his parking tickets.

ETA: The man waving his hands was way out of line and the officers showed amazing restraint. If not for the camera and phone broadcasting, there would have been a very different chain of events.
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 8:51:48 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
The cop was waaaay more tolerant in the begining than I would have been.

"I won't give you any identification."

"Why do you want me to hang up the phone?"

The guy is being a dick.

ETA - And then this other smart ass buttinski. I'd've run 'em both in.

Yeah which is why you are/would be a shitty cop. You ARE the law. Just try it on some of us.
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 8:51:58 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

OMG!! don't exercise your rights, the sheeple will get mad and take them away!! what are you people thinking!!

please.

do you even shoot guns (assuming you have them), or do you just leave them in the original packaging since taking them out may lead to someone seeing them, and then legislating against you?

ETA: i open carry 99% of the time. the only reason i even have a CCW here in ME  is to aviod running afoul of the in-the-car/out-of-the-car question. the only time i've been questioned about it was by morons from MA, NJ, and NY here on vacation.

ETA2: his buddy in the striped shirt deserved a firm back-hand slap though...
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 8:54:21 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

For being informed of the LAW?   For exercising their right to carry?  Legally?

Maybe you should watch that again - they weren't doing a damn thing wrong or illegal.

Your attitude is exactly why we're on this political slippery slope.  Gonna stop carrying concealed because someone "thinks it's not a good idea"?

CMOS

read the post right below yours.

edit for clarification:  i am not saying that they shouldn't have been carrying openly, or hanging out in public.  i was simply referring to their demeanor/attitudes, particularly the guy with the striped shirt.  
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 10:26:43 AM EDT
[#37]
I'll agree on the striped shirt idiot.  He looked liked a child on speed.

Other than him being all twitchy, the main character did just fine.  Calm and cool.

CMOS
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 11:17:11 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Looked detained to me.

He was certainly not free to leave. It would have been interesting to see the cops react to him briskly walking away. Regardless, the length and scope of the detention was not unreasonable.

No question, those cops didn't have a clue. That was uncomfortable to watch and very embarrassing for LE. How about Mr. Incredible pretending to scribble notes and talk into his radio - trying to maintain the appearance of control and authority.

I loved Inspector Gadget there at the end trying to salvage what little dignity and authority the cops had left. He was grasping at straws – ready to yank down signs? Blocking the flow of foot traffic? I am surprised he didn’t bust out his parking tickets.

ETA: The man waving his hands was way out of line and the officers showed amazing restraint. If not for the camera and phone broadcasting, there would have been a very different chain of events.

I am not so sure that walking into a business with a holstered weapon is reasonable belief that a crime is occurring or about to occur. In fact, I do it almost every day, in uniform.

Officer's posiitoning and body posture pretty clearly said "you are not free to leave", although it probably started with a "hey, can I talk to you for a minute?.

Probably more interesting is the play of the cell phone in the incident, we will probably see within a few years case law on the use of phones during police contact, and my guess it will be on the side of the police (order to hang up or removal) due to officer safety concerns.

Link Posted: 8/8/2007 11:57:12 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Looked detained to me.

I am not so sure that walking into a business with a holstered weapon is reasonable belief that a crime is occurring or about to occur. In fact, I do it almost every day, in uniform.

Officer's posiitoning and body posture pretty clearly said "you are not free to leave", although it probably started with a "hey, can I talk to you for a minute?.

Probably more interesting is the play of the cell phone in the incident, we will probably see within a few years case law on the use of phones during police contact, and my guess it will be on the side of the police (order to hang up or removal) due to officer safety concerns.

How about citizen safety concerns? How often is it the case that a police brutality incident is brought to light by fellow officers? Not very often.

Whistleblowers arent cast in a positive image in the Law Enforcement field, and they certainly dont get fast-tracked for promotion's in rank either.

These incidents get attention when a citizen or an unbiased dash-cam videotapes or otherwise records it happening and releases it to a media outlet.

The fact that it is broadcast for public consumption certainly eliminates any ambiguity which may have lingered around the incident.

I understand your argument but in my opinion the collective good in the existence of a live cell phone during a field investigation/traffic stop by the police far outweigh's any possible compromise of officer safety.
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 12:00:47 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
They stopped him because he was carrying a Glock....... DUH!

- Clint

Open carry of a destructive device is permitted in NH?
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 12:15:41 PM EDT
[#41]
Raise your hand if you think the people that your gun frightens can't vote away your "rights"...

Everyone has the same vote.  Gun owners are in the minority.  Most people don't care one way or another but if they feel afraid, they will vote your gun rights away.  

Open carrying is a political statement.  It is tactically retarded and blatently unsafe for everyone but the criminal.  

Good way to have your weapon taken away.  

Politics over safety
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 12:19:37 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Raise your hand if you think the people that your gun frightens can't vote away your "rights"...

Everyone has the same vote.  Gun owners are in the minority.  Most people don't care one way or another but if they feel afraid, they will vote your gun rights away.  

Open carrying is a political statement.  It is tactically retarded and blatently unsafe for everyone but the criminal.  

Politics over safety

Guess you have never seen retention holsters....
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 12:21:23 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Politics over safety

Sounds like good reason to ignore the law.
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 12:34:41 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Video camera...

Well they did get them rascally Girl Scouts signs.
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 12:43:49 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Politics over safety

Which is why uniformed officers carry their weapons concealed.
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 12:45:46 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Yep us Vs. them.
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 12:46:01 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Looked detained to me.

That's ridiculous. "Safety concerns"? More likely it's accountability concerns.

The only reason a cell phone could present a safety issue is if the person called a little "backup" of their own. But for your standard traffic stop, I think it's good to have a non LE witness to the encounter.

ETA:

The last thing we need to do is create an environment where LE can act with complete impunity.

I applaud the cops patience in the video. I hope they would have done the same if there weren't cell phones cameras and witnesses. While I do think they blew the whole thing WAY out of proportion keeping that guy stopped for 10 or 15 minutes, at least they didn't overstep their authority. We need more cops like that everywhere.
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 12:53:23 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
*snip*

*snip*

...just like those gays, who've been voted out of existance since they've come out of the closet.

the only reason they "feel" afraid, is that they don't know their favorite uncle, aunt, friend, in-law, neighbor, co-worker, etc. packs heat on a daily basis.

Link Posted: 8/8/2007 12:54:41 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Politics over safety

Guess you have never seen retention holsters....

Yeah, seen lots of them and not a one that works 100% of the time.  Most don't last more than about 5 seconds in a fight and those are level 3 Safariland.  

If you are counting on a holster for retention, you are going to have a very bad day.

Retention takes constant training and preferably a partner next to you watching your back.  
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 1:24:49 PM EDT
[#50]
Seems to me that the guy is an attention whore. I can understand wanting to open carry in some instances and I cannot say what this guy's motive for doing so was.
His shitstain loudmouthed friend should have been given a 'being an intrusive dickhead' ticket if there were such a thing.
Did it ever occur to anyone that the officer may have been checking to see if this self-determined high and mighty meat sack was a felon? Anyone think of that? Sure, open carry may be legal but you don't know who is legal to carry unless you check. Yes, the guy was within his rights but he was a self-promoting, look-at-me-prick IMO.
I would've provided the officer with what he asked for and been done with it. But noooo, there was a video camera and he had to show how knowledgeable and superior he was.
What would showing his credentials have done other than speed up the process?
I understand taking up for your rights, but he was doing this to be a douchebag.
Did the officer ever say that he didn't know open carry was legal? I didn't hear him say so.  
I think the officer handled everything as he should have,even with havaing to deal with these two anal warts.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top