Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/12/2001 2:39:11 PM EDT
After Mc I Luv Carrots posted about GW's vocabulary skills a few days back I started wondering...how many members here are also members of Mensa.

Anyone?
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 2:44:24 PM EDT
[#1]
I took a MENSA preliminary test that was printed in book, it said I should apply. My last IQ test (16yrs ago) showed an IQ of 162.

Not bad for a high school dropout! [;)]
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 2:45:27 PM EDT
[#2]
... and please keep in mind it can and will be verified.

I hate people who claim to be something they aren't.
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 2:48:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I hate people who claim to be something they aren't.
View Quote

Shucks...
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 2:51:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I took a test in junior high that resulted in me being classified as "mentally gifted", so they moved me into this program called MGM (mentally gifted minor) and made me take advanced placement classes with the geeks. All the girls were fugly, so I purposely screwed-up on my tests to get back into the regular classes. And yes, this is a true story.
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 2:59:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Mensa people are pompous asses. Just becasue someone can do a puzzle doesn't make them smart.
Kinda like, they can figure out a rubix cube in 3 minutes, but they don't know to come in out of the rain. Those people don't have any common sense. I wouldn't be a Mensa member if I could.
Once, I took the test, and my IQ was measured at 100000000, but I didn't like those people- so I didn't join. I could have joined if I wanted to though. Really. I could have.
View Quote

Fucking shoe-shiners and barn sweepers. [:p]
We need to stop killing horses to make dog-food, and start using everyone whose IQ is under 110.

I dream of one day swimming in a fresh, clean gene pool.... [:)]
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 3:04:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 3:05:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Mensa people are pompous asses. Just becasue someone can do a puzzle doesn't make them smart.
Kinda like, they can figure out a rubix cube in 3 minutes, but they don't know to come in out of the rain. Those people don't have any common sense. I wouldn't be a Mensa member if I could.
Once, I took the test, and my IQ was measured at 100000000, but I didn't like those people- so I didn't join. I could have joined if I wanted to though. Really. I could have.
View Quote

Fucking shoe-shiners and barn sweepers. [:p]
We need to stop killing horses to make dog-food, and start using everyone whose IQ is under 110.

I dream of one day swimming in a fresh, clean gene pool.... [:)]
View Quote

Aahhhh, A battle of wits with an unarmed man.
[BD]
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 3:14:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Personality is what counts...
View Quote

So if a pig had a better personality it would cease to be a filthy f!@#ing animal?
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 3:22:43 PM EDT
[#9]
I used to be smart.[:(]
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 3:40:09 PM EDT
[#10]
I used to be gifted.  Damn that Coors Lite!

Guz

Link Posted: 10/12/2001 3:40:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Mensa?  You girly men admit to bleeding once a month?  Hahahahaha....
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 3:41:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Took the prelim. test, scored 26 out of 30...stated I should take the Mensa examination.  Would definately pass if I had the time and the money, but the latter is holding me back.  I don't require an organization to prove my intellegence; that's taken care of with my words and my actions [;)]
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 3:41:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Can and WILL?  How?  

My friend and I took the test for fun.  It was just something to do.  It does not tell you anything about the character of the person.  Or many other factors for that matter.  Having said that, really stupid people get on my last nerve.  And they often don't realize they are stupid.  

Maybe I am stupid and don't realize it? [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 3:45:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Mensa?  You girly men admit to bleeding once a month?  Hahahahaha....
View Quote

Lord...
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 3:50:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Aren't they the ones that suggested political officials be appointed based on there IQ? I definitly would not trust them.
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 3:58:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 4:04:27 PM EDT
[#17]
I tried to look up Mensa on the internet...but I couldnt spell it.
All your mensas are belong to us.
BP
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 4:04:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Just today I was cut off on the traffic circle, had to act quick to avoid a semi, the dumb twit whos' iggnorance and lack of awareness caused this was driving a rusted out POS datsun with a big mensa sticker on the rear bumper.  

I'm not sure what this means, there could be many interpretations, but I have been telling the story all day so when I saw this post I had to respond.

Link Posted: 10/12/2001 4:06:54 PM EDT
[#19]
I don't understand the question.
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 4:07:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Aren't they the ones that suggested political officials be appointed based on there IQ? I definitly would not trust them.
View Quote

Not that I know of- But I personally fully support a basic test before one is allowed to vote.
It pisses me off to no end that some ghetto dwelling mindless fool who can't even read or speak the damn kings english is allowed to vote for the most important office on the globe.

IQ as a measure for politics isn't a valid test. However, i'm sure a test could be written that measures ones political prowess, and assigns them a certian amount of "votes" based on their score.
That way, the smartest and most legitimate people are picking the leaders- and the Television zombies are not allowed the political power that they have over this nation.
There is a reason we have teh electoral college, and not a purely democratic system in the acedemic meaning of teh term.

Link Posted: 10/12/2001 4:08:56 PM EDT
[#21]
It is relatively easy to qualify for Mensa membership.  But why would anyone join an organization whose members do nothing except pat each other on the back for having high IQ scores?  It may be the pinnacle of arrogance.

The funny part is that you pay to find out if you are accepted.  What a scam!  These people are so smart, they forgot that the IQ system isn't even a reliable indicator of intelligence.  And honestly, how important and useful is it to be a genius for 99% of our day to day activities?  Lots of Mensa members are anti-gun.  That's not very smart at all.  Most probably can't fix a car or do woodworking.  They're "useful idiots" that can solve math problems and mindless puzzles.

Link Posted: 10/12/2001 4:13:46 PM EDT
[#22]
[b]Preemptivley posted by I_Luv_Carrots, knowing that someone would use these same, tired coping mechanisms so they didn't feel inferior:[/b] Mensa people are pompous asses. Just becasue someone can do a puzzle doesn't make them smart.
View Quote

Then....

Quoted:
It is relatively easy to qualify for Mensa membership.  But why would anyone join an organization whose members do nothing except pat each other on the back for having high IQ scores?  It may be the pinnacle of arrogance.

The funny part is that you pay to find out if you are accepted.  What a scam!  These people are so smart, they forgot that the IQ system isn't even a reliable indicator of intelligence.  And honestly, how important and useful is it to be a genius for 99% of our day to day activities?  Lots of Mensa members are anti-gun.  That's not very smart at all.  Most probably can't fix a car or do woodworking.  They're "useful idiots" that can solve math problems and mindless puzzles.

View Quote
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 4:16:24 PM EDT
[#23]
uh i'm a drywaller, nuf said I think.
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 4:19:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 4:20:06 PM EDT
[#25]
The average I.Q. of the defendants in the dock at the original Nuremburg Trials was 135! Albert Speer had the highest at 175, Rudolph Hess was not tested, and I forget the name of the defendant having the lowest I.Q., but it was approximately 110.

So sometimes book smarts means nothing, if you are woefully inadequate when it comes to good old common sense.

BTW, I took the Mensa test....

Eric The(WhatDo[u]You[/u]Think?)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 4:23:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 4:26:34 PM EDT
[#27]
I love solving puzzles and answering crosswords (exactly why I have my handle), but as to whether I consider myself a genius or not based on the proficiency in my doing so does not suggest that I really am or am not.

With this said, why would I need an organization to sanction/verify what I already know???  [:\]  [:\]  [:\]  [:\]

[size=4] [blue] If I were to choose between intelligence and common sense, I would without a doubt pick the latter.      [i] riddler[/i][/size=4] [/blue]
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 4:27:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
So if a pig had a better personality it would cease to be a filthy f!@#ing animal?
View Quote

Well sewer rat might taste like pumpkin pie but I wouldnt know cause I wouldnt eat the nasty motherfucker.

hehe
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 4:32:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I took a test in junior high that resulted in me being classified as "mentally gifted", so they moved me into this program called MGM (mentally gifted minor) and made me take advanced placement classes with the geeks. All the girls were fugly, so I purposely screwed-up on my tests to get back into the regular classes. And yes, this is a true story.
View Quote

I had the same thing happen to me in grade school. Back then, IQ tests were normally administered every year. Somehow I kept scoring the highest in the entire school. (Can go both ways... either I was a genius, or the school was full of morons. Still don't know the answer).

Well I was put in the gifted classes, and I was never so bored in all my life. Every day was excused from my normal classes to go to gifted class.

Played the games, solved the puzzles, talked philosophy, did the animal experiments, etc.

Finally got so bored, I just stayed in my chair in the normal class. Teacher was obviously upset that I hadn't left, when he ask why I a was still there, I just said "That class is boring, having to much fun here." Then I farted the loudest fart in my life. Had to spend an hour in the principals office for that (did I mention I was also the class clown?).

Long story short... I still don't know my IQ. I know I lost several points going to high school, alcohol and dope do that do you, by the way.
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 4:33:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
uh i'm a drywaller, nuf said I think.
View Quote

Nope. That doesn't mean shit.
Your occupation doesn't translate what you are capable of.

Example?

One of the highest drop-out rates in the US's High Schools is held by Gifted students.
Why?
Well, it's hard to explain, but i'll try.

Say you are in high-school. You are interested in Classical Music, world events, science, and other things. You talk about the happenings in Israel, while your peers are talking about the backstreet boys...
It's a set-up for failure.

So, they take the gifted kids, and put them in specail classes.
But they are chastized by the hordes of dummies becasue they feel inferior.
I saw this many many times. Of course, i'm 6'3 and go about 255- pretty close to that same size in high school. I wasn't the little 4-Eyed dork who got picked on because I could break ones nose as fast as I could break into quoting Robert Underwood Johnson. But I saw those kids have it very rough. All becasue the losers felt inferior (As they should have- becasue they were)
We as a society do everything we can for a 30 year old with the mind of a 10 year old- but we resent the 10 year old with the mind of a 30 year old.

So, those of a like mind, with like abilities, congregate together. Mensa.
Are they "arrogant"?
Sure! They have a right to be! I don't see anyone talking poorly about an athlete who talks trash..
Buy golly-gee-damn society sure hates it when someone is smarter than the dull, gray average.

Mensa- Stick to beer, football, and the Miss America pagent- and leave the thinkng to us. [:p]

BTW- Vikes FOREVER! [:D]
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 4:36:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 4:37:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

[size=4] [blue] If I were to choose between intelligence and common sense, I would without a doubt pick the latter.      [i] riddler[/i][/size=4] [/blue]
View Quote

And if I had to pick between my legs and my arms, i'd pick my arms- but thankfully I have both.

Common Sense and intelligence aren't mutually exclusive.
That's a coping mechanism the dummies use.
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 4:37:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Post from raf
I did not know that Eric, but somehow, I'm not surprised.
View Quote

Yes, the US Army was busy testing the crap outta the defendants waiting for trial. Hess was the only one who wouldn't respond to the testing (or much anything else).

Herman Goering had an I.Q. of 145, IIRC. Makes sense, he was the leader of 'the Flying Circus' after Baron von Richthofen, after the latter's death on April 21, 1918.

Had he not been involved with Herr Hitler, it's most likely there would be 'Hermann Goering Hoch Schules' in Germany today!

Kinda like if Gen. Benedict Arnold had been killed rather than wounded at Saratoga!

Eric The('IPissOnYourMensa'-O.BinLaden)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 4:38:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I am listed in the book [i]Who's Who Among American High School Students[/i]...
View Quote

No offense, but I think they let anyone into "Who's Who Among American High School Students" whose parents shell out the dough to receive the book.

Sorry to burst your bubble...[:)]
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 4:39:27 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 4:40:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Sorry, bub, I'm their equal by their OWN definition.  Brains alone, without [b]soul[/b]  are not only a waste, but BORING.
View Quote

See above. Brains and soul aren't mutually exclusive.

Some of the most passionate, outspoken, "soulful" people (if you will) I have met at meetings.
One doesn't disqualify from having the other.

Again. Coping mechanism.
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 4:42:00 PM EDT
[#37]
I almost joined when I was a junior in High School. Apparently if you scored over a certain number on the SAT's that was considered a qualifiying test (IIRC, the number was pretty low, 1240 or something). I went to a meeting and an event or two, and all I can say is that 90% of the people there were walking examples of the fact that intellegence does not necessarily denote common sense.

I'm almost always the brightest bulb in the room [;)]  Unlike Carrot_Top I've learned what lampshades are for.
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 4:48:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I'm almost always the brightest bulb in the room [;)]  Unlike Carrot_Top I've learned what lampshades are for.
View Quote

But [i]WHY[/i] DavidC???

Why hide the fact that you are smarter than they are? Fuck them. Don't be ashamed!
Don't "lampshade" (To use your term) yourself lest you offend the inferior masses!

[size=4]FUCK THEM![size=4]
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 4:49:57 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

And if I had to pick between my legs and my arms, i'd pick my arms- but thankfully I have both.

Common Sense and intelligence aren't mutually exclusive.
That's a coping mechanism the dummies use.
View Quote

Mc,

Read the first word of the statement in blue. How could someone who claims to have a high IQ don't understand this two-letter word.

Which brings us back to your statement [i]"Common Sense and intelligence aren't mutually exclusive."[/i] There, you yourself have proven your statement to be false [red]in some cases [/red].

I have known you for quite sometime and I respect you for having the cajones to speak your mind even if you will get a lot of flack for it but in this instance "your ego is writing checks, your intelligence can't cash"

Thanks for helping me prove a point

edited to add text in [red]red[/red]
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 4:50:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 4:51:21 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
i'm 6'3 and go about 255
View Quote

I saw your pic on the now defunct McUZI.com, you didn't look like no 255 to me.[:)]

Mensa- Stick to beer, football, and the Miss America pagent- and leave the thinkng to us. [:p]

[:D]
View Quote

So are you saying that you are a member of Mensa?  Can you support this claim?

Not that I have any reason to doubt you, but for some reason I find this thought very amusing.  Again, I'm not insulting you, but I got the giggles.
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 4:53:25 PM EDT
[#42]
OK, sounds like all us poor dumb bastards should just bow down to the great mental giant McUzicarrot. After all, obviously he is vastly more intelligent than the rest of us, and a prime physical specimen as well !!!
Forgive us O great one, we can only aspire to your greatness.
yadda, yadda, yadda, blah, blah, blah, etc....
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 4:57:01 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Mc,

Read the first word of the statement in blue. How could someone who claims to have a high IQ don't understand this two-letter word.

Which brings us back to your statement [i]"Common Sense and intelligence aren't mutually exclusive."[/i] There, you yourself have proven your statement to be false.

I have known you for quite sometime and I respect you for having the cajones to speak your mind even if you will get a lot of flack for it but in this instance "your ego is writing checks, your intelligence can't cash"

Thanks for helping me prove a point
View Quote

You didn't prove shit.
You cited the same worn out back-door I have heard my whole life- That somehow common sense can't exist in tandem with other more finite acedemic gifts.
Sure. You said "if"- But posing that oft cited  question in the first place tells me you subscribe to the "brains/common sense are never in the same place" idea.

And BTW- That's why I made refrence to the "If I had to pick between my arms" hypothetical.
It was supposed to be a bit on the sarcastic side. I thought you would catch that. Guess not.
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 5:00:14 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 5:00:36 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 5:01:13 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I saw your pic on the now defunct McUZI.com, you didn't look like no 255 to me.[:)]
View Quote

A few people here from AR15.com have met me.
It ain't no joke.

So are you saying that you are a member of Mensa?  Can you support this claim?

Not that I have any reason to doubt you, but for some reason I find this thought very amusing.  Again, I'm not insulting you, but I got the giggles.
View Quote

**sigh** Yes, I can. Gimme a little while to scrape up a dig-cam.
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 5:03:14 PM EDT
[#47]
Wow Carrots, your cunning wit and physical stature are truly unparalleled, perhaps you could make moderator someday.
May the masses sing your praises across the land.
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 5:03:17 PM EDT
[#48]
Mc,

For the record, I did not see your latest reply when I edited my post!

still finishing up my reply on the other browser....hold on...
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 5:04:03 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 5:04:57 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Perhaps you were more fortunate than I. The people I met at a number of meetings seemed preoccupied with intellectual one-upmanship and verbally sparring amongst themselves on topics that left most onlookers tired and empty.  
Some people with intelligence seem to think that brains are all it takes to make it in life.  That is how you, Carrots, sound. How much life has to teach you.

View Quote

Well, that's a statement of fact. I can't disagree with your experiences at the meeting you attended because I wasn't there.
As far as "brains" being all it takes in this world- no, not "all it takes"- but they don't hurt any, and i'll be dammed if i'm going to be ashamed for being blessed with them.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top