Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/28/2001 4:43:02 PM EDT
i know that this is off topic, but a friend of mine(FFL dealer) is selling a norinco m14 for $750.00.  i cant' seem to find much in the price guides.  is this a fair price or not?  thanks.

joel
Link Posted: 3/1/2001 6:30:56 AM EDT
[#1]
I've always heard don't touch the norinco M1A.  Their metal quality is poor.  For a few hundred more get a US made.
Link Posted: 3/1/2001 6:34:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Ditto. It's hard to resist those cheap prices, but in the long run you'll be glad you saved more money and got a quailty gun. Can't go wrong with Springfield Armory.
Link Posted: 3/1/2001 6:50:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Try and talk him down to $700, but I would pay $750. I've never heard anything bad about the Norinco, except that you should check the headspace. The reciever is actually BETTER than a SA, being forged, not cast.
Jump on it!
Link Posted: 3/1/2001 7:00:18 AM EDT
[#4]
The Norinco models were built to exact government specs from original blue prints but their heat treating of certain metal components is marginal- the metal is soft in certain areas. Smith Enterprises has been doing rehab work on these guns for awhile including remedial hardening of the 'soft' components of the rifle. Some prefer the Norincos because of their Mil Spec closeness to the original GI guns.
Link Posted: 3/1/2001 8:23:34 AM EDT
[#5]
If you're still interested, make sure someone has already re-heat treated the metal.  That would be a fair price.
Link Posted: 3/1/2001 10:40:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
i know that this is off topic, but a friend of mine(FFL dealer) is selling a norinco m14 for $750.00.  i cant' seem to find much in the price guides.  is this a fair price or not?  thanks.

joel
View Quote

Jump on it!  I have a Norinco recv'red M1A built by Smith.  The quality of the Norinco recv'r is excellent.  You can build a quality rifle from this component.  You can also sen the rifle to Fulton Armory for the "Chinese Upgrade" and keep it as a great shooter.
Mike
Link Posted: 3/1/2001 11:10:39 AM EDT
[#7]
This is not an Off Topic thread.  This is the General disscussion board.  There are many rumors about the Chinese M-14s rifles.  lots of people like to repete only what they've HEARD about them, but never experienced for them selves.  They really aren't that bad.  The receivers are of better quality than Springfield's.  It's the bolt that is sometimes not heat treated right.  Have it head spaced.  You will not be able to just swap the origianl bolt for a USGI because they are not often made to the same specs.
Link Posted: 3/1/2001 7:03:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Spend another 300 and get SA.Some of these rifles have bad headspace problems.I've personally seen one so badit would not lock up, the frame was stretched so bad.I can tell you it was a miracle it didnt let loose.If you have to spend so much to get it to headspace is it worth it.There is absolutely nothing wrong with castings if done properly.
Link Posted: 3/1/2001 7:24:27 PM EDT
[#9]
armalite fan has it right. if you`re going to spend that much on a questionable rifle, save a bit longer and invest on a sure thing. problem with the chinese rifles is that even though they are designed around mil spec, the quality control is always questionable. as the responses to this thread support, heat treat may be substandard, as well as bolt fit, and other problems not brought up. there are some good ones, but it is a gamble at best. honestly, i have heard the most complaints concerning accuracy. i also own a norinco product that is very good quality, but as far as m14, i spent the 600 elswhere. a lot of research. why do you think they are so much cheaper? spend wisely.....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top