Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/10/2001 6:07:22 PM EDT
Anyone know anything about this gun?
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 6:21:44 PM EDT
[#1]
If it is an older model, they made a model 400, and a model 600.  Years ago I had a 400, didn't like it, and therefore got rid of it.  Note of caution,if it is a 400 is that it requires 9MM Kurz if my memory serves me correctly.  Some try to use regular 9MM Luger, etc. but not a safe thing to do.  Again I thought it was a POS weapon, but I've seen some for sale lately at rather high prices IMHO, so maybe it has become somewhat collectable.  I can't remember what cartridge the 600 requires.  If it's neither one of these models, I can't offer any further info.
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 6:28:16 PM EDT
[#2]
It a nearly new pistol, 9x19 Luger- definitely.
377.00. Curious as to its reliability.
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 6:38:13 PM EDT
[#3]
I would buy a Ruger before I bought one.  The Ruger is very relibale gun for the money.  Might also want to look at a 92FS.
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 6:53:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Astra is a Spanish firearms making company that was formed in about 1913 and has, I believe, recently gone out of business (actually I think they were taken over by Star).

They made several different 9MM pistols, so you really need to track down the model number.

Astra made decent quality firearms.  Parts might be a problem though.  
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 7:18:26 PM EDT
[#5]
I looked at a whole bunch of brand new Astras once a few years ago.  I didn't buy any for some reason.  Can't really remember why though.  I do remember liking a 9x19 compact because it was almost as small as a .380.  I guess I didn't trust the guy selling them or that they were made in Spain or something.
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 7:27:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Astra did indeed have a modern line.  A modern 9mm para Astra could be an A-70, A-75, A-80, A-90, or A-100.  I'd guess what you are looking at is an A-75.  

Astra is indeed out of business now, so parts will be very difficult to find, but you probably won't need them.  They are not just not being imported, but completely gone as a firearms manufacturer.  If you don't need the "absolute best", then it will do!  But, if you want a cheap pistol, look to the Makarov.  I think that the price is too high.  It's used, or has been in the inventory for a long time.

I was way into Spanish stuff once upon a time.  I collected Astra's older pistols, and bought Star's newer stuff.  I don't have any modern Astras, but I have indeed handled them.  My experience with modern Astra's is that they are reliable and tough, but accuracy will be hampered by a tougher than normal trigger pull.  Personally, I think that Astra kicked ass in the past, but its modern stuff is just good in a sea of excellent pistols.  As far as modern pistols go, I think that their Spanish competitor, STAR, makes a better pistol.  My favorite it the MEGASTAR.  Queer name, great big pistol.

There were two older 9mm para chambered Astras.  There were the M600 and the M800. The M800 "Condor" is very rare, and is essentially the M600 with an external hammer.

The 400 was chambered for the 9mm Largo cartridge.  This is a 9*21 cartridge where as the 9mm para cartridge is 9*19.  The Largo cartridge was the Spanish pistol and subgun cartridge for decades before the 9mm para displaced it.  Due to the design of the 400, it is possible that it can fire 9mm para or .380.  Some have even fired .38 super through them.  I don't recommend shooting anything other than 9*21 Largo.  You can fire the 9*21 Bergmann Bayard round through it (the 400), but it differs from Largo in name only.  The Spanish just renamed that cartridge "Largo".  

FYI 9mm Corto means 9mm short, which is 9*17.  We call it .380!
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 7:38:57 PM EDT
[#7]
i had an a-75 a couple of years ago.it had a alloy frame and a duo tone slide.picked it up at a yard sale for $75.it was a fun plinker but liked to jam/stovepipe with lighter loads.sold it to a friend for $200 and bought a baretta 92.if you are looking for a haandgun to keep for a while and use personal defense invest in your life.if you want a plinker go for the astra they are a lot of fun just dont break any parts..  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top