Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/10/2001 5:37:21 PM EDT
I want to find a better way, so I want to hear what other ranges have. Our range has wooden frames (2'x5' w/ 2'x4' cardboard to staple targets on). For up to 50 yards we have bases (wooden rectangle box w/ steel legs) that you can move, then at 50 & 100 yards there is a steel railing in the ground with L shaped brackets that hold the stands. What does your club use? Our frames just keep getting destroyed.
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 5:42:37 PM EDT
[#1]
My range uses 4x4 posts with (3) 1x4 horizontal cross boards. Targets are stapled to either the upper or lower "space". Some of the shooters are so anal that they would rather shoot at an already shot up target than put one in the 'other' position that they are not used to...go figure...like the bad guys are going to always be in just the right spot?
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 5:50:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Thus far I've only used indoor ranges.  The one I usually go to, gives you a hanger before you go in, and you hang that on some bolts that you can send downrange as far as you like.  $5 for shooting a hanger.

Only shot one once, trying to empty a Thompson in one burst. [;)]

edited cuz I can't spel
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 5:56:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Years ago we cemented pvc pipe below ground level at 25 yd increments out to 125yds. had nice target frames that fit into the pipe. Made frames  very large to allow for shooter error. The ANAL people just shot up the frames! I have my own set I carry in my trunk. All the frames are gone and every body else has to use 4x4 wooden pallets that you prop up with sticks from the woods. Set one up, 1 shot it falls over. Too bad for them. Like any organization, several% do all the work, a few pricks screw it up and every body else suffers.BTW- the frames were moveable co they could easily be set at various distances. Good Luck.
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 5:57:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Inmates.
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 6:02:39 PM EDT
[#5]
My range has huge boxes of rocks held about 8' off the ground by some giant pillars (telephone poles with 3/4" steel plate and a 2x12" in front of them for armor) to stop any bullets that bounce off the berm (as we are in a wildlife management area, wouldnt want to hit a deer hunter).  We run strings between the pillars to tape our targets to.  

Kharn
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 8:42:06 PM EDT
[#6]
They use PVC tubing and couplers like the sprinklers use in a rectangular shape w/ a brown cardboard tied w/ tie wrap on each side.
At 100 yards, they have 4x4 wood nailed on the ground w/ 2 holes that hold the PVC frame of the target. Any less than 100 yards, they provide you w/ a couple of stands made also w/ PVC and couplers to hold your target frame but you will have to find some rocks to hold your taget upright. Oh did I  mentioned that they require a $4 deposit and if hit the PVC it will cost a $1 a side.
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 9:30:01 PM EDT
[#7]
The public range has it's own frames for public use on the rifle side.  On the pistol side, you need to bring your own wooden frames.  They did away providing the public with free use of the target frames on the pistol range.  The people was shooting the frames not the targets.  
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 9:32:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Grass!  They don't cut it often.  The problem is the rest of the grass in front of the target.z
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 9:35:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Telephone poles with 2x4's horizontal between them.OSB on the 4'side screwed to the 2x4's.If a big hole forms just move the target left right up or down.Replace OSB when needed.
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 9:42:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Liberals... OH sorry, dozed off and was having a good dream about Feinswine.

2x4 frames, with dark brown corrugated plastic (like box material that won't melt in the rain)
at the local State-run Hunter Safety Education range.

OTOH, got an old gutted P133 case (Dude, yer gonna get a DELL!) with Osama bin Laden's oh so handsome portrait just waiting to visit a friend this weekend on his 50 acres...
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 9:44:14 PM EDT
[#11]
6x6 posts with chickenwire strung between them. Targets are held on with spring-loaded clothespins. Works well and is easy to maintain.
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 9:45:42 PM EDT
[#12]
I do all my shooting at my hunting club, we use trees to tack our targets to, when we shoot one down we cut it for firewood and move on to the next..[:D]
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 9:50:48 PM EDT
[#13]
[img]http://wsphotofews.excite.com/036/z1/hd/Sh/NU49976.jpg[/img]
as you can see it's BYOT
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 11:03:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Real heavy duty steel posts, with rubber/nylon sheeting bolted between.  It's similar to what tires are made of.   Posts will withstand a .338 hit, and the rubber is servicable after thousands of hits.
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 4:24:23 AM EDT
[#15]
In my neighborhood, they're building a lot of new houses... After someone buys a house, there's one corner where they just pitch the "For Sale/Under Contract" signs...

They're steel frames that hold a piece of cardboard nicely... I just tape paper targets on top of them.  These frames also have a bar for your foot to step on to drive it into the ground.

That's what I use:  REALESTATE SIGNS

M.
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 4:28:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Too bad for them. Like any organization, several% do all the work, a few pricks screw it up and every body else suffers.various Good Luck.
View Quote

You got that right!!  At our club of 250  members perhaps 20 are working EVERY WEEKEND to build our new outdoor and indoor ranges...

Last Monday at our monthly meeting some joker who has NEVER been out to a work bee complained that we were not working FAST enough and that he really wanted to start shooting again!!  I thought that blood was going to be shed!!!

We use alot of "political signs" as target holders at our club...damn I love a good election.. I find that the Liberal signs work the best.
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 4:36:51 AM EDT
[#17]
We have pvc pipe in the ground at 25, 50 and 100 yards.  The target stands are approximately 2x2 pieces of wood with cardbord between.  I'm guessing they are 3' wide and there is a 2' square box where your target is suposted to be placed.  If the stands get shot up, they are usually replaced.

Our yearly membership fee is 100, but might be raised to 150 next year.  If you wish to volunteer to build new stands, then you work 4 or 8 hours and they deduct 40 dollars from your membership fee.  

Also, after joining the club, IWLA,  you must work either 8 hours doing something before you get your range badge.

---

At a public range in WV, they have something like 4x4's in the ground with metal infront of them.  Chicken wire is stretched between them for you to hang your targets.
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 7:12:15 AM EDT
[#18]
We use wooden target holders also.  And yes they get shot to hell.  Replace or repair them once a month. We've thought about metal stands but can't seem to come up with a design we like. The chicken wire idea sounds like it has some merit.  We may experiment with that.
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 10:00:15 AM EDT
[#19]
I can't count the # of stands and bases that have been shot up this year. People either put their pistol targets out too far, our they put them at 100 yards immediately for sighting in. "Gee, I wonder where my rifle will hit"? Right through the center of the base. They eventually split in half. I've been thinking of a metal design also. Not sure how to go about it. If I change the system too much, the whiners would come out. "We've been doing it this way since they first moved the dirt on this range".
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 11:56:16 AM EDT
[#20]
2 heavy metal poles about 6" tall and a large 3"x3" piece of carboard in the center, whic is about a .5 inch thick.
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 12:25:55 PM EDT
[#21]
For the target stands they use 2x2's nailed together to make the frame.  It is roughly 6' tall and 2 1/2' wide.  The target back is a piece of cardboard stapled to the 2x2's.  It's a rickety contraption, but it works.

At 25, 50, 100, 150, 200 yds on the rifle side there are a rows of 3" PVC pipe buried in the ground to insert the target frame legs in.

The pistol side has them at 25 and 50 yds only.
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 5:11:39 PM EDT
[#22]
We have frames made up from 1' angle iron with the vee-part facing inward forming a 24" square without the top... a thick piece of cardboard slips in the top and is held well enough to staple the targets to. This u-shaped frame is welded to a pipe that slips into a slightly larger pipe sleeve set into the ground. The 25-yard targets are linked through a tie-rod system and a large steel lever that enables them to be rotated into place simultaneously. The 50-yard targets aren't linked, but they can be removed from their sockets.

Marauding non-members sometimes shoot at the frames when no-one is around (it is kinda out in the boonies... I always go downrange armed), but at least they aren't PVC or wood, neither of which stands up well to misplaced rounds.

It is actually a pistol club that I belong to, but I joined just to have access to their outdoor range. I usually have the entire place to myself.

FITTER out
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 7:50:54 PM EDT
[#23]
My wife holds the targets out to her side rather nicely. She won't do the apple thing anymore though.
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 7:58:33 PM EDT
[#24]
I haven't tried this yet, but the other day I seen some great "target stands". It was one of those signs you see outside gas stations with cigarette adds on them. Nice and large, open tubular frame, and a good sized base. Now if I can figure out a way to get a couple of them!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top