Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/9/2001 6:06:24 AM EDT
I have a chance to buy a pre ban M1A.  My question has to do with the barrel.  The seller told me that the barrel will have to be replaced aat some point in the near future...just not sure when but the rifle is in overall good shape says he....my question, if the serial number begins with 011 then how old is the rifle and how much would a barrel replacement cost me?  The rifle is going for around a grand.  thanks.

Link Posted: 10/9/2001 6:12:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/9/2001 6:22:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Sorry it's a springfield, normal with walnut stock..as far as I know...2 20 rounders come with it and cleaning kit.
Link Posted: 10/9/2001 6:36:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Pop - the price is not outrageous, but I think it is high if you are going to have to send it right out for a barrel job.  Depending upon how many rounds have been fired there may be other parts that need replacement.  You can still get an NIB rifle for $1,300 - $1,400 if you shop around.  Inspect it carefully before you buy.  If possible, field strip the rifle and examine the op rod, bolt, receiver, etc.  IIRC, the s/n makes it a pre-ban, which is not a big issue with M1A's, since without a pistol grip it will have the desired flash suppressor anyway.  My advice: be real cautious with this one.
Link Posted: 10/9/2001 6:41:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks Fox, I am such a newbie.  I read an article that said the new springfeilds are much, much better than the ones produced in 57-64,,he is going to try to get me some digital pics, problem is...I wouldn't know if the barrel is in good/bad shape by looking at a photo.
Link Posted: 10/9/2001 6:42:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/9/2001 10:25:13 AM EDT
[#6]
If it's the rack grade M1A is has a chrome lined barrel and I'ld doubt that it is shot out, unless it was realy used a lot.
Link Posted: 10/9/2001 10:32:40 AM EDT
[#7]
If your only assessment of this rifle is going to be via digital photos, I would definitely stay away!  Especially at the price he is quoting you... I got my M1A, NIB for just over 1K, after tax it was about $1,100-ish... and then I ws able to take advantage of the $99 scope, mount, and rings offer that springfield has going... my $.02, get an M1A new, you won't regret the investment...
Link Posted: 10/9/2001 11:59:09 AM EDT
[#8]
You can get good GI barrels for $110-125
Another $60 to install,every thing else is pretty simple on them.
He is lying when he says the newer SAs are better so what else is untrue.
cpermd
Link Posted: 10/9/2001 1:59:45 PM EDT
[#9]
I'd pass on this and get a NIB rifle, if you must have an M1A.  Pre-ban is totally meaningless with M1A's unless you want to put a pistol-grip stock on them.  If the barrel is shot out, you'll probably have to replace some other parts, too.  If it's just worn or damaged from improper cleaning, what else has been messed up on it?  You can get a NIB Springfield standard-grade for about a grand, if you look around.  If this gun has a GI chrome-lined barrel and he says it's almost gone, stay the hell away!  The M1A is a great rifle (better than the FAL, IHMO), but do yourself a favor and get a new one.  If you want to be sure you're getting all GI parts, get a standard receiver from Springfield, a complete USGI parts kit from US Armory, and have a good M1 'smith put it together (go to www.gunandknife.com and ask for some names).  Fulton Armory does a fantastic job at building M1A's, but they're kinda spendy for some folks.  I had them build me a rack-grade M1A, and it's beautiful.  Depends on how much money you want to spend.  But I'd definitely pass on this well-used pre-ban you're talking about.
Link Posted: 10/9/2001 2:19:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'd pass on this and get a NIB rifle, if you must have an M1A.  Pre-ban is totally meaningless with M1A's unless you want to put a pistol-grip stock on them.  If the barrel is shot out, you'll probably have to replace some other parts, too.  If it's just worn or damaged from improper cleaning, what else has been messed up on it?  You can get a NIB Springfield standard-grade for about a grand, if you look around.  If this gun has a GI chrome-lined barrel and he says it's almost gone, stay the hell away!  The M1A is a great rifle (better than the FAL, IHMO), but do yourself a favor and get a new one.  If you want to be sure you're getting all GI parts, get a standard receiver from Springfield, a complete USGI parts kit from US Armory, and have a good M1 'smith put it together (go to www.gunandknife.com and ask for some names).  Fulton Armory does a fantastic job at building M1A's, but they're kinda spendy for some folks.  I had them build me a rack-grade M1A, and it's beautiful.  Depends on how much money you want to spend.  But I'd definitely pass on this well-used pre-ban you're talking about.
View Quote

Better than a FAL?
Link Posted: 10/9/2001 3:23:15 PM EDT
[#11]
That's what I said.  The FAL is a nice rifle, but the sights suck, the trigger often sucks, and they have a tendency to bend .308 rounds like bananas as they chamber them.  I've had them bend rounds so badly that the projectile came out of the case neck.  A friend had that happen with his, too, and it was a brand-new DSA factory gun.  They're nice, but they're not the end-all battle rifle that some think they are.

As far as the M1A goes, the only problem I've found is the price of GI parts and magazines (thank you to Armalite for buying them up to make AR10 mags; fuckers).  The sights are better, the trigger is better and can easily be made great.  The operating system seems (in my experience) to be more tolerant of dirt and crud.  Yeah, you can adjust the gas pressure on an FAL, but you'll end up beating the hell out of your rifle and with an M1A you don't have to.  Felt recoil is greater with the M1A, mainly due to the drop of the stock, but it's never bothered me.  For a .308 battle rifle I'll take an M1A over the FAL any day of the week.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top