Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/8/2001 9:19:02 PM EDT
IWas ELK hunting with a bud .it's did not working right ??? HELP was it ME?BADAR15
Link Posted: 10/9/2001 3:45:50 PM EDT
[#1]
It may have been just you.
I checked mine today and it reads better than 18 feet accy and thats not even outside. I just put it on the edge of the window. It picked up 7 satelites right away.
Link Posted: 10/9/2001 3:51:57 PM EDT
[#2]
i was out saturday in the Az mountains and mine seemed to work great for a while....then malfunctioned..i knew where i was walking to ...and my gps said it was in the opposite direction...just was acting weird...sometimes it was fine...sometimes it was glitchy...i was using my etrex
Link Posted: 10/9/2001 4:01:21 PM EDT
[#3]
During times of WAR the military can turn the GP Satilites OFF for civilian use so they can be specifically used by the military....

BISHOP
Link Posted: 10/9/2001 4:31:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Hey BAD I just bought one yesterday and it was working fine.  Right there in those N. AZ hills too . . . Unit 10.  It still didn't point me to any cow elk though . . .
Link Posted: 10/9/2001 5:24:22 PM EDT
[#5]
What does everyone think of the Etrex Vista w/mapping...any good.

What mods do y'all have?

Bulldog Out
Link Posted: 10/9/2001 6:19:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Mine at work is working fine, within several feet, but we have Realtime Differential Correction through an outside commerical source.
Link Posted: 10/9/2001 6:32:07 PM EDT
[#7]
While traveling thru Knoxville before 911 I was listening to 87.7 on the FM dial (channel 6 on TV) and I noticed that the intermod from the radio in the GM AstroVan caused my StreetPilot to go nuts and lose the sats. It showed that I was travling at about 300 MPH northeast thru PA while I was actualy heading west at 65MPH...
Tested with other vehicles after this and other GPS's and found no problem. So it had to be the AstroVan Stock Radio on fm87.7 that was causing an overload in the front end of the GPS receiver.
Ted...

( in other words I turned the channel on the radio and the GPS was back to working normal)
Link Posted: 10/9/2001 6:36:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
While traveling thru Knoxville before 911 I was listening to 87.7 on the FM dial (channel 6 on TV) and I noticed that the intermod from the radio in the GM AstroVan caused my StreetPilot to go nuts and lose the sats. It showed that I was travling at about 300 MPH northeast thru PA while I was actualy heading west at 65MPH...
Tested with other vehicles after this and other GPS's and found no problem. So it had to be the AstroVan Stock Radio on fm87.7 that was causing an overload in the front end of the GPS receiver.
Ted...

( in other words I turned the channel on the radio and the GPS was back to working normal)
View Quote

You sure you didn't have that astrovan going 300MPH?[:D]
Link Posted: 10/9/2001 6:41:29 PM EDT
[#9]
I have an ETREX Vista as my fifth GPS.  It is WAAY cool.  This is especially true with the mapsource data.  The screen is small and gets cluttered with data easily, but it's hard to have a large screen in a small unit, erk. :')
Link Posted: 10/9/2001 9:25:41 PM EDT
[#10]
I currently use a magellan (SP?) not sure what modle it is right now. but its a fun tool to play with i take mine deer and elk hunting its got more fetures than i know what to do with so far ive only fugured out how to use the basic ones like putting in waypoints i got to re read the instructions every year ive tested it in the worst conditions i could find in a near blizzard under large trees next to rock walls in vallys but it has never been wrong and its mostly always been within about 10ft as far as i can tell thats pritty good for looking at a satallite in space
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top