Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/8/2001 8:49:18 AM EDT
I'm thinking of getting a new auto loader for this years quail season.
I currently use a Rem 870 express. I love the durability and finish of this gun.
Any suggestions on a auto loader for hunting that actually works?
I'd like to keep the price around $500.
Thanks
Scratch
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 9:24:41 AM EDT
[#1]
I'd stick to a lightweight auto for quail hunting, as you spend more time lugging it around than shooting.  Is it safe to assume that you want it in 12 gauge?

You can find a used Remington 1100 or 11/87 in that range, but will want to find one with a shorter barrel (26" or so) to save on weight and help with fast handling.

If you're willing to spend a little more for a *brand new* shotgun, Beretta AL390 field shotguns can be had for around $535 NIB.  They come with 24", 26", or 28" barrels and synthetic stocks.  A darned dependable, soft shooting design at a bargain price.

Good luck on your search.

Bud
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 10:03:04 AM EDT
[#2]
M y buddy has a 11-87 and has it apart to clean more than he shoots it. It is not very reliable.
Should I be looking for something that shoots the big magnums as well as standard shells?
I want an all around gun if possible.
Scratch
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 10:07:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Should I be looking for something that shoots the big magnums as well as standard shells?
View Quote

Depends on how big the quail run in your neck of the woods.  [rocket]

If you want an "all around" shotgun, I'd get the Beretta AL390 Field described above, with a 26" or 28" barrel.  It will handle everything from soft target loads to rhino rolling 3" magnums dependably.

Link Posted: 10/8/2001 10:16:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 11:00:44 AM EDT
[#5]
I've used a Remington 1100 for several years now without any problems.  Used ones can be found anywhere from 250 to 500.  Don't know why there is so much variation in price tag. Friend has an 11-87 that seems to work just fine.  Both guns strike me as a bit heavy for quail work tho.  
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 11:32:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 12:01:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Where can I find out more on the 390?
What is the differance in the 100 and 11/87?
Thanks
Scratch
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 12:03:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Where can I find out more on the 390?
What is the differance in the 11/00 and 11/87?
Thanks
Scratch
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 12:17:59 PM EDT
[#9]
I just bought a Berretta 391 Urika that is The Bomb! I looked at all of the available autoloaders and talked to guys who use the hell out of them, including 500+ rounds per day Argentine dove hunts, and the 391 came out tops for reliability, soft recoil and flexibility. The common wisdom is if you are taking a Browning or Remington to South America, take two, as one will almost always break down. The Berretta's just keep on going. The guy at Outdoor World actually told me he has had so many Remington autoloaders returned that he can no longer reccommend them in good conscience.

On top of all that, it is by far the sleekest and best loooking of all the autoloaders, and it handles like a dream! Recoil is less than any shotgun I have fired, I went through a 25 round Skeet and 50 target clays course the day I picked it up and didn't feel it at all.

The gun handles 2 3/4 & 3 inch shells without any adjustment, comes with 5 chokes and a nice case. Outdoor World has the basic 391 Field for $779, more than your $500 limit but well worth the difference. I bought the upgrade 391 Gold Black, which came with absolutely beautiful wood, gold inlays and tasteful engraving.
Before you lay down your money you owe it to yourself to take a hard look at the Berretta. You will like what you see.
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 12:20:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Current Beretta offering is the 391, but there are great deals on individually pre-owned 390's.

I prefer 390's but as new models of 391 are released that may change.  To me the 390 has a more solid feel and my swing is smoother with a 390.

Like Cerberus said the fit and finish on Berettas is very good.  Probably has to do with Beretta offering EELL's, SO3-5-7-9's and Tridents.  If you make shotguns on par with Krieghof and Perazzi your entry level guns should be good too.  The wood on my 390 was so surprisingly good that we stripped the plastic off and put on an English oil finish.  It looks as good as it shoots.

And Beretta's are SMOOTH shooters.  Their gas system compensates for different loads and makes them easy on the shoulder.

And there are parts out there that allow you to customize a 390 or 391 similar to what we do with AR's.  I changed barrels to a factory ported version with a high ramp, changed cast and drop, back-bored the barrel and lightened the trigger.

Call it my Super Sport.
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 12:51:00 PM EDT
[#11]
I think the best semi-auto shotgun would be the beretta AL391. Its a great gun. The only drawback would be it's price, $730 is the best I have seen. The 390 is a good gun too. Since the 391 came out, the 390's price has dropped. You may even find a used one. Good luck with whatever you choose.
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 12:55:30 PM EDT
[#12]
benelli m1 super 90 or montefeltro (if you want really light weight go with the montefeltro in 20 gauge).

the inerta system in the benneli's is very robust, clean, reliable, fats and just plain simple in construction--something i really like.

if you must get a gas gun, i'd give a long hard look at the "wal-mart special" beretta 390's.  these run in the mid $500 range and are really good guns for the cash.  

sloth  
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 1:09:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I'm thinking of getting a new auto loader for this years quail season.
I currently use a Rem 870 express. I love the durability and finish of this gun.
Any suggestions on a auto loader for hunting that actually works?
I'd like to keep the price around $500.
Thanks
Scratch
View Quote

Some Wal Marts still carry the Beretta AL390 autoloaders in 12 guage. THey are solid black with a synthetic stock. In my area they want $535 for these. I think its a good buy, I may buy one myself. They have 28" barrels. The AL390 is a great autoloader. This years version is the AL391.
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 3:51:42 PM EDT
[#14]
If you want to go the cheap route, and get a fine gun that is often overlooked and unjustly put down, get a Mossberg 895.  Plenty of cash left over for ammo.
Link Posted: 10/9/2001 8:15:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Stubbs do you shoot the mossberg? Is it reliable?
What is the differance between the 390 and the 391? Does the walmart version of the 390 come with the extra chokes and case.
I have been shooting the one shot gun I have for the last 20 years and hope not to have buy another for that long again.
I don't want pretty I want function and  dependability.
thanks for the input
Scratch
Link Posted: 10/9/2001 2:30:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Scratch, I am just like you! I just set aside my 21 year old Mossberg 500 pump to use as an "ugly gun". It has worked well enough over the years, but cannot compare to the Berretta in any way. In fact, the Berretta 390 cannot be compared directly with the 391 either.

The 391 uses a re-designed gas system that is claimed to be more reliable and reduces recoil by 20% over the already soft shooting 390. After putting 75 rounds through the gun in about an hour I can tell you I believe it! It is the lightest recoiling shotgun I have ever used.

The Berretta also comes with thick and thin recoil pads and an assortment of psacers you can use to fit the stock length, cast-on or -off and drop to fit you like a custom gun.

If you are not into pretty, get the basic field model, it is still a good looking gun, but don't let the desire for a basic gun make you buy something you'll regret. $700+ seem like a lot of money up front, but look at it the way I did:

If you would spend $500 on a Remington or $750 on a Berretta, over 20 years service it will cost you an extra $12 per year, a buck a month, to own a really fine shotgun, vs, buying something that is second rate to begin with.

For more info on the AL391 look here: [url][blue]http://www.berettausa.com/guns/field_guns/al391_urika/index.htm[/blue][url]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top