Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/7/2001 2:17:42 PM EDT
Could someone please outline the rules about transferring firearms between licensed sellers and individuals, as well as between just indivuals. For example, when does a gun need to be sent to a FFL holder to be sold? Is this always the case for licensed sellers, or can a licensed seller ever sell a gun 'privately' without a background check? Also, what if there is a gun for sale in state X, but I live in state Y. Even if The seller is a private owner, he must send it to a FLL holder in state Y, because it cannot cross the state lines privately (tell me if this is wrong). But what if I send my buddy who lives in state X, to buy it, then he drives it down to state Y to give it to me? Is this legal, and can my buddy do this without a background on himself or myself? If this has been discussed already, I'm sorry, I didn't see it.

I think this kind of info would be welcomed by most 'novice' gun traders / buyers / sellers.
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 2:26:17 PM EDT
[#1]
State laws may vary. FFL's can not sell to individuals without a 4473. Fire arms shipped between states for sale must be through FFL's. In Ohio individual sales between private citizens are not regulated except as covered by age restrictions and other prohibitions as described on the 4473, convicted felons, dishonorabley discharged veterans, domestic violence convictions, etc. Ohio also prohibits adjudicated drug addicts, alcoholics and mental patients. It is not legal in many states to purchase a firearm unless you are a resident of that state.
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 2:27:55 PM EDT
[#2]
www.atf.treas.gov

do a search for transfers. Their whole list of regs is there. Very useful once you find it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top