Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/5/2007 1:18:02 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I had a Spanish Astra 400 that I would shoot 9mm, 9mm Largo, and .38 special. The bolt was heavy as hell and it had a recoil spring that would support a Dodge truck. Ugly gun but shot well.

Do you mean .38 Super?
Link Posted: 6/5/2007 1:34:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/5/2007 1:42:34 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
how do people figure these things out? put gun in vise, attach string to trigger, stand back and hope for the best?
Ditto with .38 ACP in a .38 Super (but NOT .380 Auto).
Whatchu Talkin' Bout Willis!?!?  

What's with 38 ACP in a .38 Super but not .380 Auto?

".380 Auto" is also known as .380 ACP  (Automatic Colt Pistol cartridge - ACP).

I've never heard of this so-called 'different' .38 ACP.   However, .380 ACP is known under various names:
- .380 ACP (Automatic Colt Pistol)
- 9x17mm
- 9mm Browning
- 9mm Kurz (Translates to: 9mm Short)
- .380 Auto
- 9mm CortoFiocchi and other Italian brands
This cartridge COULD be fed and likely fired through a .38 Super chamber, but it's a cartridge that headspaces on the case's taper-crimped edge so accuracy will be horse-shit and will cause undesirable wear on the rifling/chamber of a .38 Super.

So is there some mythical .38 ACP that I don't know of that's DIFFERENT somehow to .380 ACP / .380 Auto???  
Link Posted: 6/5/2007 1:46:19 PM EDT
[#4]
.357 won't fit in a .38sp the cartridge is too long.  You won't be able to close the cylinder.
Just how exactly would a .308 fit in a .30-06?
Link Posted: 6/5/2007 2:13:55 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
.44 Special in a .44 Magnum weapon will fire, but bullet diameter of the Special is a little smaller so accuracy will suffer.

.44 magnum is just a lenghtned .44 special. The bullet diameter is the same IIRC.

That's what I thought until I was mislead by Wikipedia.  I'd like to have a .44 Special revolver.
Link Posted: 6/5/2007 3:22:01 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
how do people figure these things out? put gun in vise, attach string to trigger, stand back and hope for the best?
Ditto with .38 ACP in a .38 Super (but NOT .380 Auto).
Whatchu Talkin' Bout Willis!?!?  

What's with 38 ACP in a .38 Super but not .380 Auto?

".380 Auto" is also known as .380 ACP  (Automatic Colt Pistol cartridge - ACP).

I've never heard of this so-called 'different' .38 ACP.   However, .380 ACP is known under various names:
- .380 ACP (Automatic Colt Pistol)
- 9x17mm
- 9mm Browning
- 9mm Kurz (Translates to: 9mm Short)
- .380 Auto

This cartridge COULD be fed and likely fired through a .38 Super chamber, but it's a cartridge that headspaces on the case's taper-crimped edge so accuracy will be horse-shit and will cause undesirable wear on the rifling/chamber of a .38 Super.

So is there some mythical .38 ACP that I don't know of that's DIFFERENT somehow to .380 ACP / .380 Auto???  

How DARE YOU take  the name of John Moses Browning in vain!  He invented this cartridge in 1900!  THe .38 Super takes its dimensions from the original .38 ACP (AKA .38 Auto).  Only the .38 Auto/ACp is limited to 23,000 CUP of pressure where the SUper is 33,000 CUP.

Wow, I am the only one who know this?
Link Posted: 6/5/2007 3:30:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Just the other day,was shooting .45 G.A.P. cartridges in my Smith 625 revolver....no problem and very accurate.
Link Posted: 6/5/2007 3:44:07 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Yes
Link Posted: 6/5/2007 3:45:48 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

For real bonus points, explain what a CUP is.

(And also share if you've ever seen them measure CUP, as its pretty freaking neat).

Link Posted: 6/5/2007 4:02:59 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

For real bonus points, explain what a CUP is.
Cupro Units of Pressure. I believe it's a measure of pressure using the compressibility of copper as a scale.

(And also share if you've ever seen them measure CUP, as its pretty freaking neat).
Nope, but I've heard a description of the process.

Link Posted: 6/5/2007 4:54:42 PM EDT
[#11]
This thread probably has the most dangerously incorrect information in it ever posted on ARFCOM.

It is very important that you fire the correct ammunition in your guns.

The brass case has the ability flow and stretch under pressure and then spring back.   But this ability has limits.  

If the chamber is too big, either because the gun is worn or the wrong size ammo is used, the case might split and dump the pressure into the action.

A case failure like that will blow up even the strongest guns and has often maimed or killed the shooter.

The military uses a set of gauges to determine if a rifle is too worn to fire safely.

The difference between a “go” gauge and a “no go” gauge is measured in a few thousandths of an inch.

Imagine sticking a 308 into a 30-06 chamber and pulling the trigger.  The excess chamber size is around a half inch.  A case rupture is guaranteed.

Whether or not the ruptured case vents the 50,000 psi flaming gas into your face is a matter of chance.

Why would you take that chance?  What is gained?

There are a few instances where a few different cartridges may be safely fired in the same firearm.

Ignore this moronic thread and take the time to find out the correct ammunition for your guns.

www.saami.org/Unsafe_Combinations.cfm
Link Posted: 6/5/2007 5:07:14 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

The better question is WHY?
Link Posted: 6/6/2007 5:23:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/6/2007 5:40:32 AM EDT
[#14]
You can shoot .357 sig out of a glock 22 with the .40. barrel. It will not cycle the next round and I dont how much accuracy and volocity you lose.
Link Posted: 6/6/2007 5:41:58 AM EDT
[#15]
You can shoot  50 BMG out of a .22 short.
Link Posted: 6/6/2007 5:44:31 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I believe there is or was a revolver made that will shoot .38spl/.357mag AND 9MM LUGER.

Ruger Blackhawk Convertible with extra cylinder. I had one that was made in the late 70's. (from what I can remember)

called the Medusa, I did alot of research for my dad on one as an end all pistol. They would also should .380 and 9mm super
Link Posted: 6/6/2007 6:07:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Following this thread we are going to have the thread titled "Never load .357 magnum into glock 19 graphic pics enclosed"
Link Posted: 6/6/2007 6:17:07 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I was told that while you CAN shoot any rimfire .22 in a .22LR rifle, you shouldn't much do so,  because of fouling and erosion being a problem when you switch back to .22LR.   A box or two may not be a problem, but with .22LR so cheap, why take a chance?.

.22 shorts might erode a lr chamber over a long time,but .22longs use the same length case as a .22lr-only the bullet itself is a different length and that won't affect erosion or fouling. Most reduced velocity loads made anymore use .22long/long rifle cases. Aguilas SSS and CCI short CBs are about the only remaining exceptions.
Link Posted: 6/6/2007 7:50:02 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
www.saami.org/Unsafe_Combinations.cfm

That lists 9mm luger (parabellum) and 9mm NATO as unsafe/incompatible?

Pressure

9mm NATO is 9mm +P.

And then some.  But M882 was adopted for the M9  to be acceptable at a maximum case mouth pressure of 36,250 PSI.

The original 9mm Ball (DODAC 1305 A360) had a maximum of 43,000 PSI!

SAAMI 9mm is capped at 34,000 PSI.  But NATO exceeds that so hence the caveat.

Ooooops, I didn't see this info before I posted my follow up question. Thanks for the info!

I've been playing with a grenade for a while and didn't know it. Seriously, never knew that. Though now that I think about it, I did like the extra snap of the NATO stuff in my handguns.

Guess my NATO stuff is gonna' be for the carbines only from now on.
Link Posted: 6/6/2007 7:53:04 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
On Americas Most Wanted this last Saturday one case had a man shot with "a 9mm round out of a .40 cal gun". I am skeptical.

I had a student fire three 9s out of his .40.

We were scratching our heads wondering why the cases were splitting ETA: and bulging to 'conform' to the feed ramp.  Then it occurred to me...  heya, what caliber is your Glock...  .40.  Whoopsie.

So, Eunice, if the Indians or the Hajis are bearing down on you and you're fresh out of .40s, but there are some 9mm rounds closeby, give it a whirl.

John
Link Posted: 6/6/2007 7:55:31 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
On Americas Most Wanted this last Saturday one case had a man shot with "a 9mm round out of a .40 cal gun". I am skeptical.

A buddy of mine claims to have done that. Apparently it was much louder than normal, but the case didn't split and the round did strike the paper.

He was sober at the time, FWIW.
Link Posted: 6/6/2007 9:39:58 AM EDT
[#22]
Never mind.
Link Posted: 6/6/2007 9:59:12 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

A buddy of mine claims to have done that. Apparently it was much louder than normal, but the case didn't split and the round did strike the paper.

He was sober at the time, FWIW.

I shot 2 9mm out of a .40 also.  The slide didn't come back and the brass was bulged out.  It was by accident as both me and my friend have XD's but mine was .40 and his was 9mm.  I picked up the wrong mag when I went to shoot.
Link Posted: 6/6/2007 10:17:01 AM EDT
[#24]
Anybody remember the Medusa revolver? The cylinder accommodates .380acp through .357mag, and about everything in between.

This cartridge is the most innovative in the world... It has compatibility with ANY cartridge available in the world:

notice the deep divots left in the hardened tool steel by the high velocity XTP hollowpoints
Link Posted: 6/6/2007 10:34:01 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Anybody remember the Medusa revolver? The cylinder accommodates .380acp through .357mag, and about everything in between.

This cartridge is the most innovative in the world... It has compatibility with ANY cartridge available in the world:
img78.imageshack.us/img78/5660/newrndes2.gif
notice the deep divots left in the hardened tool steel by the high velocity XTP hollowpoints

??????????????

are they necked up further than the case diameter?
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top