Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/6/2001 1:02:16 PM EDT
I was at Wal-mart this week and everyone is in the hunting frenzy right now. I was in line and I saw a guy with two hunting camo pants and shirts and two blaze orange vests. I asked him why are you getting the camo if you wearing orange orange vest ( I know why they where the orange vest.) he told me so that the deer did not see him.

Now I'm a bite confused but I would think that that bright orange vest would make him stand out no matter what he had on. Maybe it's just me but I see no scene having camo on when you have a orange orange vest on that could land a airplane on a winter storm but maybe thats me . If anyone could tell me why they do this it would help thanks
Link Posted: 10/6/2001 1:11:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/6/2001 1:16:24 PM EDT
[#2]
According to biologists, deer see in black and white.  Blaze orange would just show up as a patch of solid color.  The point is that you want to at least break up the rest of your body's outline.  I've had a deer walk by me 8 ft. (yes, feet not yards) away, look at me, and keep right on walking.  I was wearing my orange vest and camouflage, standing in the wide open, and finishing a good piss.  True story

However, deer can see certain waves of ultraviolet light.  Theoretically, if a hunter uses standard clothes wash which brightens colors, the deer will see his clothes as a shade of blue.  I use only wash intended for hunting clothes ( hell, it takes blood stains out better and doesn't fade the camo).  
Link Posted: 10/6/2001 1:19:27 PM EDT
[#3]
You're exactly right,  it doesn't.  Every time I see this myself I laugh.  The only time it's not really funny is when the camo clothing is actually a high performance or hunting-specific type cloth like saddle cloth or wool or gortex or something.  The second poster is right,  deer see things in shades of gray but if you've ever seen a picture of a guy in camo with a hunter orange vest on in black and white you'll see that when you're sporting a vest, you might as well forget the camo.

OTOH-if you are getting hunter orange CAMO, washing it in those non-UV brightening soaps (along with all your other clothing) then you probably should go with the camo.  

One other situation where you might wear hunter orange vest and camo is in a tree stand against the sky.  The camo would break up your legs/arms and they hunter orange might appear to a deer like a patch of sky or something but like you,  I always wonder when I see some guy in camo w/a runway-landing-light-bright hunter vest.

crash.

Quoted:
I was at Wal-mart this week and everyone is in the hunting frenzy right now. I was in line and I saw a guy with two hunting camo pants and shirts and two blaze orange vests. I asked him why are you getting the camo if you wearing orange orange vest ( I know why they where the orange vest.) he told me so that the deer did not see him.

Now I'm a bite confused but I would think that that bright orange vest would make him stand out no matter what he had on. Maybe it's just me but I see no scene having camo on when you have a orange orange vest on that could land a airplane on a winter storm but maybe thats me . If anyone could tell me why they do this it would help thanks
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/6/2001 1:47:36 PM EDT
[#4]
As was pointed out, camouflage breaks up your outline. If you'll notice, many predators (big cats in particular) like tigers, cheetahs, leopards, and jaguars have spots or stripes. Mother nature's way of providing them with natural camouflage. A bright orange vest of a solid color will in theory make you stand out more since it has a definite outline. Enter orange camouflage. Supposed to give you enough orange to be safe and comply with the law as well as break up your outline.
Link Posted: 10/6/2001 7:24:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/6/2001 7:39:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/6/2001 7:40:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Some types of hunting does'nt require Blaze orange (bow hunting, predator hunting) and then most of the high tech fabrics come in some camo pattern so in order to get warmth and waterproofing you usually get camo.  Wear it deer hunting and on your other types of hunting, keeps you warm and dry no matter which type your doing.  Blaze Orange is required in most states and further some like Colorado require SOLID orange no "camo orange".
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top