Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/6/2001 1:24:31 AM EDT
I have a 3000ft. spool of OD green 550 parachute cord. If any AR15.com folks want some, I'll send it to you for $0.05/foot. So a 100ft. piece will cost you $5.00. Shipping is extra. I need your address to figure out shipping. If actual shipping is lower than what I read off the P.O. rate charts, I'll send the difference back in cash with the cord.
This is REAL 550 para cord, brand-new U.S. manufacture, not that ripoff cord often sold as paracord.  I order it for my students in my survival class because only two places stock it here sometimes, and it's much more expensive. Most of the time stores here sell the "look-a-like" stuff.
I'm not trying to go into business, just had the idea of passing on a good deal to the group.
I will take personal check, cash, money order.
I finally got a decent size picture posted. Just Click my head above and you'll see the picture in my "profile" section under the title - "limey pics". It's not a real great picture. The real paracord is the dark green sheathed with white strands on the left hanging down from the spool. The cheap imitation is sticking up on the right from the bundle in front. Hope this helps.
Wsmac
Link Posted: 10/6/2001 5:31:03 AM EDT
[#1]
look-a-like?  Can you tell me how to spot the difference?  I go to gunshows and usually pickup 50 feet of cord for 2 dollars.  It sure looks like good quality paracord to me.

Link Posted: 10/6/2001 8:23:03 AM EDT
[#2]
You can buy the same paracord at Majors Surplus and survival in 300 ft rolls for 22.50.  Thats less per ft than you are selling.
Link Posted: 10/6/2001 10:05:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Hey, go for the best prices. Around here it's over .10/ft, that's why I order it myself. If you find it at .05 or so a foot go for it! Like I said, I'm not trying to go into business selling para-cord, I just thought our local price might reflect the prices somewhere else.

The Majors Surplus price you quoted works out to 7 1/2 cents per foot. If there's shipping involved (is this mail order?) then you'd be over the .08/ft price. What I am planning on doing is this:
If someone wants 100 ft., it's $8.00. This includes shipping (large enough envelope, postage), if the shipping is less than $3.00, I will send back the difference. I figured the $3.00 as a guide for shipping knowing it could be cheaper. Sorry for not explaining that earlier.
As far as the "look-a-like" stuff, man, that'll be hard for me to explain over the internet.
The fake cord I've seen locally sometimes has less than seven strands. These inner strands are not the slick, strong, twisted strands in real 550. They appear fluffy and snag easily. Clear as mud, huh? Sometimes the outer sheath is not the strong slick nylon, instead it's more like a cheap nylon and it snags easily. The bad stuff has a much limper feel than new 550 cord. There is para-cord that has 4 strands but is at a lower breaking strength. It's still good enough for survival situations.  
The stuff I have is brand new not surplus AND, I can cut it too any length you want (within reason). You can have 17 1/2 ", 47ft 11in, whatever. The spool is not a continuous 3000ft. It's in different lengths knotted together. The offer's here. Again, if you can get a better price, get it! If you have trouble finding 550 cord in your area, or you don't want to chance ordering "para-cord" from some surplus place and wind up with the fake stuff (happened to me - once), give me a holler!
WSmac
Link Posted: 10/6/2001 10:11:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/6/2001 10:41:41 PM EDT
[#5]
raf, might I comment on your ability to translate otherwise unintelligable wordage into coherent and precise description. Bloody well done!
WSmac

OK OK, I fixed it I fixed it. that's the second time, that's the second time, I've double posted I've double posted.[;D][;D]
Link Posted: 10/6/2001 10:46:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/6/2001 11:13:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
You can say that again!
View Quote

I think he just did .
Link Posted: 10/6/2001 11:16:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 4:31:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Well, I just got some of that "Parachute Cord, 550 Test Nylon"  for $2.15/50feet from Natchez. I suspect it's the same stuff you get from Majors Surplus, et.al.
This is NOT what I'd call parachute cord. If I had to jump with cord like this holding me to my canopy, I'd walk away.

The sheath is a cheaper grade material. The innnards are what's called "filler", meaning it's not individual strands, just fluffy stuff. I did see some in town with cheap inner strands, just not the kind I think my students should use.
NOW, I know this would work in a survival situation for your basic cordage needs, BUT, I like to buy the best when I can afford it and when I think that better quality could come in handy.

Again, if you like the cheap stuff and it works for you, great. But please don't call this stuff "parachute cord".
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 4:58:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Hey...I think this guy just got some paracord......
Link Posted: 10/14/2001 10:51:30 AM EDT
[#11]

How 'bout unraveling a section and posting a pic ...  of both the real deal and the 'other' stuff... if'n it ain't too much trouble...

TIA...

db
Link Posted: 10/14/2001 10:41:57 PM EDT
[#12]
The last time (which happened to be my first) I posted pics, I made them WAY too large. Until I can figure out how to make the pics regular size I'm afraid I can't show you anything. I'll keep trying though!

For those who have been emailing me, I'm trying to get back to you, but perhaps like others, I can't access the main page for AR15.com, and along with it my mail.

At this time, I don't take paypal anymore because I don't want to give them my checking account information (which everyone in the world probably has already, anyway). You can send personal check, cash or money order. Hey, I'm Honest!
Link Posted: 10/14/2001 10:55:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The last time (which happened to be my first) I posted pics, I made them WAY too large. Until I can figure out how to make the pics regular size I'm afraid I can't show you anything. I'll keep trying though!

View Quote

Ok... but if you do get around to it please also post it in say the 'Magazine' forum (on topic as a mag pull... right...)  that way it don't get buried before anyone has a chance to see it...

An if ya really wanna do me a persoanl favor you'd email me copies... or at least a note that yer putting 'um up...  ;)

TIA...

db

Link Posted: 10/25/2001 1:53:53 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm still getting emails from folks who want paracord. I removed some of my posts here to reduce the size (they were mindless rambling in most cases). I also made changes to clear up what I am doing. If anyone else is interested email me with the info and I'll help you out the best I can. Thanks
WSmac
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top